Screen Splitting, Tearing, and Crashing: 6870

soisawc

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
First things first...
My PC:
SAPPHIRE 100314-3L Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16
Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T: 2.80 GHz
Power Supply: Xtremegear 800w
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium
Resolution: 1920x1080

If you need more let me know...

My Graphics card was working fine when playing BFBC2 for a while after I got, I stopped recently and played a lot of WoW. I then started to experience some minimal Screen tearing, it didn't bother me too much... (about 2 days ago).

I went back to high quality games by playing Metro 2033 where I experienced INSANE amounts of screen tearing, And some Screen Splitting (will provide video) and the dreaded colored vertical line crash (which seems to have disappeared as of posting along with the screen tearing).

BFBC2 was also experiencing screen tearing, splitting, and vertical line crashes (but has also stopped crashing and tearing.)

I have no clue what to do and it is to late to RMA the card to Newegg... I am really worried because BF3 beta will be coming out soon and I AM EXTREMELY EXCITED, but now am sad due to the fact i might not be able to play it.... Please almighty lords of the internet help me out in my time of need.

The problem only STARTS in games... but if i close the game after the error has occurred it persists into the desktop, even after the game is closed.

First Video: Introduces our main antagonist: El Screen "Diablo" Split
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fatXP1232pA

Second Video: Shows the Screen split actually MOVING during the video (no editing was made) @ 0:15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so58XQEXckM

Third Video: Shows how the screen split transfers onto the desktop and other windows.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz1cQjF2Pew

Anything you guys could do to help would be amazing... thank you in advance.

Update to the latest driver version.

If that does not work, to be certain that the problem is with the card, test it and the drivers you are using in another computer.

If it is the card and you cannot RMA it, you will need to make a factory warranty claim. Some brands (eVGA and XFX come to mind) are pretty good about this, but many aren't.

Gauts

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
di you find out what it was?

i have the exact same thing.

Tested:
various drivers
memorytest and even clocking my memory to see if it was a timing issue

but i did a memtest86+ with no errors and then it was gone for a few days. but now its back again.

tobad i dont have any hardware atm to test

gnomio

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
Do you have v-sync enabled? If not do so. Tearing is a result of the gpu/LCD going out of sync with each other normally. Remember LCDs emulate a refresh rate as they do not really have a refresh rate like a CRT. But unfortunately they have to emulate one to be compatible with the gpu which still works on a frame buffer

Gauts

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
still the same screen splitting and tearing but ty for the recommendation

its so wird. it was working great for months and just out of the blue it started tearing, and i dont want to send in the card if im not certain that its the problem. i will be weeks without a comp

malarky1

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

Did the new card fix the problem?

daemondai

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Yep...

I spoke to the guy in the warranty department... he said he's only seen it once before, and that it would be a replacement. No problems since putting in the new card.

Big_Puncho

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Have you overclocked your card?? I was having the same problems but i just needed to put the stock values 900 to the GPU clock and 1050 to the memory clock, hope it helps you...