Sign in with
Your question

Help and advice on upgrades

Last response: in Components
February 23, 2012 6:39:36 PM

Need some help / advice: - Sorry if not related to article but....
I have an intel e8400 oc'd to 3.6ghz, dfi lanparty junior motherboard, xfx 5770 graphics card and 2 gb dual channel Kingston 1066mhz ram running windows xp 32bit.
I'm looking at upgrading the operating system to windows 7 and putting in another 4gb of the above ram to give 6gb total as from previous articles I would get better performance utilising dx11 in the game I normally play ( WOW ).
My framerates are good now ( anywhere between 40-100 in all but busiest raids - then down to 20-30 in particularly spell heavy combats ) but always playable.
Anyway - after reading the above article, I'm wondering if i'd get a bigger boost ( for the money ) to purchase an intel i3 2120 motherboard bundle and keep the existing GPU and operating system?
I don't know whether the i3 2120 would be that much better then the e8400 as it's such a good gaming processor?
Any help would be much appreciated!!

More about : advice upgrades

February 23, 2012 10:00:32 PM

Newegg sometimes has the 21xx included in one of their shellshocker specials. Today it's the g850 dual core (without hyperthreading). The 2120 is a good upgrade, but it won't be cheap. I would sell your old board/cpu/ram first and see what offers you get before ordering any new parts. I use craigslist or anandtech. Passmark benchmarks look good, but the links don't work.
m
l
February 27, 2012 7:00:19 PM

o1die said:
Newegg sometimes has the 21xx included in one of their shellshocker specials. Today it's the g850 dual core (without hyperthreading). The 2120 is a good upgrade, but it won't be cheap. I would sell your old board/cpu/ram first and see what offers you get before ordering any new parts. I use craigslist or anandtech. Passmark benchmarks look good, but the links don't work.

Hi - and thanks for your advice. In uk ( where I'm based ) from novatech it is selling a motherboard bundle with the 2120 and 4gb ddr3 ram for £169.00. - Not sure if this is the best deal around but have used them many times and found them very good.
One of the chaps at work seems to think that I won't notice that much of a difference from the o'cd e8400 in the game due to the fact it's over clocked to 3.6ghz and it has an extra 3mb of cache ( 6mb total vs i3's 3mb )??
He is saying better to go for the I5 2500k ( but don't have funds for this yet)!

It seems sensible to move to the 1155 platform for sheer future upgradability though - If i shell out on Windows 7 and 4 gb ddr2 1066 for my current set up I'll be spending best part of £120-130 on this and I'm not totally sure the enabled dx11 is going to give me that much of a longterm gain! ( If i were spending only £50-60 it might be worthwhile but the costs are not too far apart ).

Do you think I'd get a very noticable performance gain from the i3120 over what I have now running windows xp or do you think i'd be better to just hold back and save up till I can afford an I5 bundle with windows 7?

I only really use the pc for the game!!

Sorry but would value your thoughts?
m
l
February 27, 2012 7:19:58 PM

I wouldn't upgrade then. You won't get that much benefit from it. Wait for Ivy bridge in a couple of months. It may cost about the same as the current 1155 cpus.
m
l
!