Help and advice on upgrades

Need some help / advice: - Sorry if not related to article but....
I have an intel e8400 oc'd to 3.6ghz, dfi lanparty junior motherboard, xfx 5770 graphics card and 2 gb dual channel Kingston 1066mhz ram running windows xp 32bit.
I'm looking at upgrading the operating system to windows 7 and putting in another 4gb of the above ram to give 6gb total as from previous articles I would get better performance utilising dx11 in the game I normally play ( WOW ).
My framerates are good now ( anywhere between 40-100 in all but busiest raids - then down to 20-30 in particularly spell heavy combats ) but always playable.
Anyway - after reading the above article, I'm wondering if i'd get a bigger boost ( for the money ) to purchase an intel i3 2120 motherboard bundle and keep the existing GPU and operating system?
I don't know whether the i3 2120 would be that much better then the e8400 as it's such a good gaming processor?
Any help would be much appreciated!!
3 answers Last reply
More about help advice upgrades
  1. Newegg sometimes has the 21xx included in one of their shellshocker specials. Today it's the g850 dual core (without hyperthreading). The 2120 is a good upgrade, but it won't be cheap. I would sell your old board/cpu/ram first and see what offers you get before ordering any new parts. I use craigslist or anandtech. Passmark benchmarks look good, but the links don't work.
  2. o1die said:
    Newegg sometimes has the 21xx included in one of their shellshocker specials. Today it's the g850 dual core (without hyperthreading). The 2120 is a good upgrade, but it won't be cheap. I would sell your old board/cpu/ram first and see what offers you get before ordering any new parts. I use craigslist or anandtech. Passmark benchmarks look good, but the links don't work.

Hi - and thanks for your advice. In uk ( where I'm based ) from novatech it is selling a motherboard bundle with the 2120 and 4gb ddr3 ram for £169.00. - Not sure if this is the best deal around but have used them many times and found them very good.
    One of the chaps at work seems to think that I won't notice that much of a difference from the o'cd e8400 in the game due to the fact it's over clocked to 3.6ghz and it has an extra 3mb of cache ( 6mb total vs i3's 3mb )??
    He is saying better to go for the I5 2500k ( but don't have funds for this yet)!

It seems sensible to move to the 1155 platform for sheer future upgradability though - If i shell out on Windows 7 and 4 gb ddr2 1066 for my current set up I'll be spending best part of £120-130 on this and I'm not totally sure the enabled dx11 is going to give me that much of a longterm gain! ( If i were spending only £50-60 it might be worthwhile but the costs are not too far apart ).

Do you think I'd get a very noticable performance gain from the i3120 over what I have now running windows xp or do you think i'd be better to just hold back and save up till I can afford an I5 bundle with windows 7?

I only really use the pc for the game!!

Sorry but would value your thoughts?
  3. I wouldn't upgrade then. You won't get that much benefit from it. Wait for Ivy bridge in a couple of months. It may cost about the same as the current 1155 cpus.
Ask a new question

Read More

Components