Sign in with
Your question

Cooler Master Elite 430 case- Heatsink size issue?

Last response: in Components
February 23, 2012 7:37:01 PM

hello all! im hoping someone along the line here,may of happened to of built a PC with the same Elite 430 black by cooler master. my issue im running into right now,is CPU heatsink size issues. im seeing alot of really nice Cooler master Push+Pull style sink's for decent prices. BUT my problem is i dont know at all if,if any id be able to fit and still be able to mount the two top 120MM exhaust fans, or if the CPU heatsink would take up too much space for the exhaust fans to fit at the top. right now im using a AMD Athlon X4 640 with the stock CPU cooler it came with,and i have maybe 1/4" of a gap between my CPU sink/fan and one top exhaust fan mounted right above it. i really want to be able to exercise all the existing available fan ventilation options, "total of 6" for my system for optimal cooling. the current cpu sink is about 90MM x 90MM x about 60MM thick. please help!
a c 139 ) Power supply
a c 203 à CPUs
February 23, 2012 9:35:24 PM

Hello demonsparkx;

It would depend on choice of CPU coolers. And maybe going with low profile fans at the top. You already know you have 1/4" (or 6mm) to spare with a 90mm cooler.
So going with a 120mm CM Hyper 212+ Evo with a 2nd fan isn't going to work.
CM Hyper N 520 on the other hand is 92mm wide and should squeeze into your case.

m
l
February 23, 2012 10:26:26 PM

WR2 said:
Hello demonsparkx;

It would depend on choice of CPU coolers. And maybe going with low profile fans at the top. You already know you have 1/4" (or 6mm) to spare with a 90mm cooler.
So going with a 120mm CM Hyper 212+ Evo with a 2nd fan isn't going to work.
CM Hyper N 520 on the other hand is 92mm wide and should squeeze into your case.

glad to hear some great feedback, ill highly take your statement into high consideration. the Hyper N looks pretty sweet,and looks a bit smaller. seeing as its not too expensive id rather take the risk on the hyper N. i have a little time to go before i make a final decision, but rest assured your opinion has persuaded me into leaning to the hyper N.
PS. do you happen to have any personal experience with the hyper N? im looking to drop my cpu temp at the very least 10-20'F to a bit safer range. thats why im hoping to get a nice heatsink, with enough room for more case fans,seeing as i only have x1 120mm intake and tiny 90mm exhausts. thanks once again.
m
l
Related resources
a c 139 ) Power supply
a c 203 à CPUs
February 23, 2012 10:32:48 PM

Which CPU cooler are you using now? stock AMD Athlon II X4 640

m
l
February 23, 2012 10:38:50 PM

WR2 said:
Which CPU cooler are you using now?

right now im using a stock cooler, that came mounted on my motherboard. its a AM2/AM3 AMD stock cooler,but seems actually better then the one that came with my new CPU "Athlon X4 640" im unsure of this heat issue, but im more then sure it has to do with the cooler itself,and lack of good enough ventilation. its pretty hot at 100% load but never critical temp's. going from a 20watt 170U 2.0Ghz single core to a quad core 95Watt at 3.0Ghz id expect more heat, but like i have stated this is my first build and im very pre-cautious with high temp's.
m
l
February 23, 2012 10:42:29 PM

WR2 said:
Which CPU cooler are you using now? stock AMD Athlon II X4 640

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/3342/amd201003.jpg

whups, seems you beat me to it. yes that is the jist of what im using right now, that exact one is the one that had came with my new cpu, and it seems to get a little hotter then my old cooler. my old one has a slightly larger fan, BUT the sink's themselves are exactly the same width. one cooler is not as thick though. the one i currently use "i suppose" would be an older ~style~ heatsink seeing only the fan and fins are different,same physical size.
m
l
February 23, 2012 10:42:32 PM

if your looking to drop your cpu temp its better to get a watercooling system like the corsair hydro series or the antec hydro series beacuse cpu temps all come down to the same basic princebles which is surface area and moving air the only reason water cooling is the best is beacause it can move the surface area very efficently (fast) from the cpu to the radiator then it moves the hot air from the radiator in to the air around you so i would invest in one of them and there not that much more expensive than the CM Hyper N 520
m
l
February 23, 2012 10:50:34 PM

skarin said:
if your looking to drop your cpu temp its better to get a watercooling system like the corsair hydro series or the antec hydro series beacuse cpu temps all come down to the same basic princebles which is surface area and moving air the only reason water cooling is the best is beacause it can move the surface area very efficently (fast) from the cpu to the radiator then it moves the hot air from the radiator in to the air around you so i would invest in one of them and there not that much more expensive than the CM Hyper N 520

hmm, that being was one of my original choices actually. seeing as you more then likely know alot more about hardware, which would you recommend for my situation? im not OCing, some video rendering and mainly gaming. im somewhat on a budget, and dont need anything top-of-the-line. sub $100 would be perfect. also, ive heard ALOT of mixed things with water cooling, and i suppose you can say it kinda scares me. for obvious reasons of water+components,are there budget ones that use that non-conductive fluids hence dont create short-outs in case of a leak? please post links, and knowledge/feedback is GREATLY appreciated once again.
PS. do they run on there own power supplys,or PSU? thanks! :) 
m
l
February 23, 2012 11:03:20 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Cooling-Hydro--High-Perfo...

and it Shouldn't matter- it's a sealed loop.

But to answer your question, any liquid can be conductive, especially when it is in direct contact with metals. As a non-conductive fluid moves over metal, it will pick up traces of whatever it is in contact with and become conductive (if metal), but will also pick up traces of the plastic/rubber tubing as well.

So, in short, yes- if it isn't conductive out of the box...at some point it will be, regardless. but because it is a sealed loop there is only a small chance it will leak and because it uses rubber tubing insted of plastic so theres no chance of it splitting soon the fluid is garenteed for about 5 years depending on the loads so seeing as yours is a athlon 2 x4 it should last for 8 to 10 years
m
l
February 23, 2012 11:04:44 PM

and they run off the 4 pin connector and then another 4 pin connects to the water block to power the radiator fan
m
l
a c 139 ) Power supply
a c 203 à CPUs
February 23, 2012 11:06:48 PM

How much overclocking do you plan on doing?
If you're looking at anything closing in on $100 you might need to be thinking about a CPU upgrade instead of a premium CPU cooler on a budget CPU.
m
l
February 23, 2012 11:16:35 PM

WR2 said:
How much overclocking do you plan on doing?
If you're looking at anything closing in on $100 you might need to be thinking about a CPU upgrade instead of a premium CPU cooler on a budget CPU.

no no, im not overclocking. just pretty basic useage with some video rendering and gaming. the cpu i currently have is the Athlon X4 640 and is the newest that my mobo will support,since theres no bios updates and has a TDP of 95watts.
m
l
a c 139 ) Power supply
a c 203 à CPUs
February 23, 2012 11:21:30 PM

If that's the case - you really don't need to be looking at dual fan CPU coolers or self contained water coolers.
CM Hyper TX3 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" 92mm CPU Cooler will get the kind of cooling improvement you're looking for.
I'd change the cooler and test before going out and buying more fans too. You might not need them.
m
l
a c 139 ) Power supply
a c 203 à CPUs
February 23, 2012 11:29:24 PM

Cooler Master Hyper TX3 G1 CPU Cooler Review
The review was done with a Intel 130W TDP CPU but the results showed a 14C improvement at idle and 28C under load. More than twice your goal.
m
l
February 23, 2012 11:36:18 PM

WR2 said:
Cooler Master Hyper TX3 G1 CPU Cooler Review
The review was done with a Intel 130W TDP CPU but the results showed a 14C improvement at idle and 28C under load. More than twice your goal.

oh wow! with a 130W CPU with that great cooling, i can imagine it'd work wonders for my 95W. i think ill try my luck with that one you just posted. thanks for the great help once again.
m
l
a c 275 ) Power supply
a c 120 à CPUs
February 24, 2012 2:11:00 AM

demonsparkx said:
hello all! im hoping someone along the line here,may of happened to of built a PC with the same Elite 430 black by cooler master. my issue im running into right now,is CPU heatsink size issues. im seeing alot of really nice Cooler master Push+Pull style sink's for decent prices. BUT my problem is i dont know at all if,if any id be able to fit and still be able to mount the two top 120MM exhaust fans, or if the CPU heatsink would take up too much space for the exhaust fans to fit at the top. right now im using a AMD Athlon X4 640 with the stock CPU cooler it came with,and i have maybe 1/4" of a gap between my CPU sink/fan and one top exhaust fan mounted right above it. i really want to be able to exercise all the existing available fan ventilation options, "total of 6" for my system for optimal cooling. the current cpu sink is about 90MM x 90MM x about 60MM thick. please help!

Buy a 212+ or the EVO.
Both will fit.
I'm using a 212+ in my 430 right now.
Install your top exhaust fans first.
Currently have 2x120mm top exhaust/rear/front intake.
m
l
February 24, 2012 8:24:36 PM

davcon said:
Buy a 212+ or the EVO.
Both will fit.
I'm using a 212+ in my 430 right now.
Install your top exhaust fans first.
Currently have 2x120mm top exhaust/rear/front intake.

sweet, i thought i saw somone along the line that said that,on a different thread. thanks man!
m
l
!