Sign in with
Your question

Faulty psu help!

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 23, 2012 8:20:35 PM

i turned my pc on earlier n heard a funny noise (sounded like a discharge) then immediately smelt something burning i unplugged everything and took the case off i could not smell anything so went and smelt the back off the PSU n there it was again any ideas of what it could be and should i replace it before using the pc again?

More about : faulty psu

a b ) Power supply
February 23, 2012 8:26:37 PM

Hi :) 

PSU blown as a guess...get it tested at a local computer shop....

All the best Brett :) 
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 23, 2012 8:28:51 PM

thats what i thought but the pc was still loading when i heard and unplugged it would the power not cut if it had fully blown?
Related resources
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 23, 2012 11:14:38 PM

ive been looking around and allot of people seem to say maybe a capacitor does any one have a idea?
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 23, 2012 11:53:17 PM

Quote:
ive been looking around and allot of people seem to say maybe a capacitor does any one have a idea?

if it is a capacitor, unless you have a spare and a soldering iron, the PSU is kaput ATM.

sorry. however it was very fortunate that you reacted quickly and saved your system from being damaged and having to replace more than a PSU.

turning your system back on before testing or replacing the PSU is risking a lot of damage.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 24, 2012 12:01:43 AM

I'm still in warranty i have left a ticket with xfx see what they say. i was just hoping i did not have to go threw not having a pc until i sent and received a new PSU looks like no gaming for me..
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 24, 2012 11:51:04 AM

looks like im having to buy a new one seems ive lost the reciept the one i currently have is the xfx black edition 850w any ideas of a decent replacment????
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 24, 2012 12:36:12 PM

Quote:
looks like im having to buy a new one seems ive lost the reciept the one i currently have is the xfx black edition 850w any ideas of a decent replacment????

it would help to know what your system specs are. ie CPU, moteherboard, gfx cards, RAM . . .
a c 158 ) Power supply
February 24, 2012 12:49:00 PM

Quote:

Did you buy it online or at a brick/mortar? For online purchases, you should be able to get a copy of the invoice from the online store. If you bought at a store and used anything except cash, then you should be able to use a statement showing the purchase or get something from the seller. Cash...gotta have the receipt unless you can work something out with XFX.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 24, 2012 12:56:58 PM

Rugger said:
Did you buy it online or at a brick/mortar? For online purchases, you should be able to get a copy of the invoice from the online store. If you bought at a store and used anything except cash, then you should be able to use a statement showing the purchase or get something from the seller. Cash...gotta have the receipt unless you can work something out with XFX.

now that you mentioned it, the brick and mortar stores i go to have a purchase history based on my phone number. i used that to RMA an EVGA mobo a few years ago.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 24, 2012 1:00:37 PM

Anonymous said:
it would help to know what your system specs are. ie CPU, moteherboard, gfx cards, RAM . . .

CPU: sandybridge i7 3.07
motherboard: drmos (all i can remember)
gfx: saphire hd 5870 vapour-x 1gb ddr5
ram: 4gb ddr3 1600mhz corsair
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 24, 2012 1:06:59 PM

Rugger said:

i actually bought it of someone who gave me the actually shop reciept were he got it from.
a c 158 ) Power supply
February 24, 2012 1:16:57 PM

I would try to get the receipt/purchase history directly from the shop. If that doesn't work, then try to get the person you bought it from to get it for you. That's an expensive piece of equipment to write off...
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 24, 2012 3:45:12 PM

good news xfx have said they will replace without proof of purchase aslong as its not found damaged or no faults found. if found damaged or no faults i would have to pay the postage back to me
!