Your question

3 Beeps on boot

Tags:
  • Memory
  • RAM
  • Boot
Last response: in Memory
December 30, 2012 12:47:58 AM

Recently when i went to boot my computer i was at the login screen then a blue screen popped up and i removed 1 stick of 4gb. then the computer was doing fine. then another day for some reason i re-installed the stick that i removed and it did the same thing. i grabed some old ram and filled up 2 other dims. then i got the 3 beeps. i removed the added ram and i still got the 3 beeps. i looked up some info and i thought that i needed new ram so i bought G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory. when i installed it i got the same 3 beeps. i even tried removing the bios battery thing and pushed down on the metal things still didnt work. im really hoping it isnt a motherboard problem it seems like everything is running except it wont boot.

BTW the 3 beeps are all the same length
MotherBoard: MSI 970A-G46

EDIT: i realized that the old ram i tried to install wasn't compatible with the motherboard.

More about : beeps boot

a c 251 } Memory
December 30, 2012 1:22:09 PM

The old ram with power on shorted the board. I am presuming DDR2 in DDR3 slots!
m
l
December 30, 2012 2:40:39 PM

rolli59 said:
The old ram with power on shorted the board. I am presuming DDR2 in DDR3 slots!

Since it shorted out would it damage the new ram?
m
l
Related resources
a c 251 } Memory
December 30, 2012 2:43:39 PM

Possibly, do not know without testing it.
m
l
December 30, 2012 4:49:24 PM

im guessing that there is a chance that everything else that was connected to the motherboard shorted out too :fou: 
im hoping not im getting and RMA for the RAM and the MotherBoard
m
l
!