Performance drop with SLI (GTX 460)

Tor77

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Hi people, just wanted to check if anyone here has experienced this. I did a search but only articles and news showed up.

Problem is simple: Bought a second EVGA GTX 460 Superclocked (1GB) card to ensure top performance in BF3. I ran TessMark 0.3.0. to see how the performance was improved. Turned out it wasn't. I am getting higher performance from a single GPU than in SLI. What gives?

Here's my rig:

Mobo: ASUS P7P55D-E Premium
Graphics: 2xEVGA GeForce GTX 460 1GB PhysX CUDA in SLI
CPU: Intel i5 760 Quad
Memory: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3
HDD: Intel SSD x25 80GB
PSU: Corsair TX 850W

I have uninstalled the old NVIDIA driver and ran DriverSweeper in Safe Mode before installing latest driver (280.26) before testing. Both cards are installed in PCI-Express 2.0 x16 slots.

I read somewhere that CPU's can be the bottleneck when it comes to SLI. Still, I would be surprised if an i5 760 would cause this.

TessMark with SLI enabled:

[img=http://s4.postimage.org/1t4qhjxyc/SLI_after_installing_new_drivers.jpg]

TessMark with SLI disabled:

[img=http://s4.postimage.org/1t4tsmmxw/SLI_OFF_after_installing_new_drivers.jpg]

Any tips/help appreciated! Thanks :)

Tor77

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Thanks @benski, I actually did and I think FPS was around 45-50 with 4xAA and tesselation running at 16(?), if my memory serves me correct (SLI enabled).

Cards heated up properly, though, almost reaching boiling point temps :)

Tor77

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
How can I get the case temp down? Only thing I can think of is opening the case when gaming as I have two 12cm fans in the cabinet + CPU cooler, of course.

Any tips on cooling down the "general" temperature? I've never ventured much outside standard PC building before so this is kinda new to me.

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
A side fan blowing across the cards can help if your case supports it. Just how hot are you talking about? If they get over 90 degrees I would be concerned, less than that under a heavy benchmark load is probably ok since regular gaming wont get them that hot.

You can try downloading MSI afterburner and setting a custom fan profile if they are getting too hot for comfort.

45-50 fps on heaven is pretty good, I have a single 460 in my HTPC and I think I remember it being around 30 fps at those settings. My heavily overclocked 465s get 53 fps.