AMD CPU Upgrade... Will I even notice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttownpedro

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Hi all.

I see that Newegg has the AM3 980 Black Edition CPU on special this week for $145. Looks like its the last great Phenom II, and can pretty easily be overclocked to 4.2GHz.

I am currently running a Triple Core Rana at 2.9 GHz, that I was able to unlock to a Quad Core, and also unlocked 6mb of L3 cache as well. I got it for like $75 a year ago, and it has been running unlocked and stable at stock speeds all along.

So my question is, if I choose to jump on this 980 BE to replace my unlocked triple core, and am able to overclock it to 4.2 Ghz, will I see large gains?

I game on a 23" 1920x1080 monitor, games like Crysis 2 and Kingdoms of Amalur, with a Sapphire 6850 graphics card. With my current set up, I have no real complaints, but was wondering if the grass is greener with a 980 BE.

Any help is much appreciated!!

Solution
You probably would not see huge gains, but the ability to overclock would let you have a modicum more of overhead before you move up to a new mainboard/processor.

You might want to consider looking at the 960T as well. It is priced lower than the 980BE, has an unlocked multiplier, and has proven to be a decent overclocker, withmost folks getting in excess of 4 Ghz with slight voltage adjustments. It also has a core-unlock potential (you will most likely have to upgrade your mainboard BIOS to access this feature), and could net you the equivalent of a Thuban 1065T if you can get all 6 cores working.

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
You probably would not see huge gains, but the ability to overclock would let you have a modicum more of overhead before you move up to a new mainboard/processor.

You might want to consider looking at the 960T as well. It is priced lower than the 980BE, has an unlocked multiplier, and has proven to be a decent overclocker, withmost folks getting in excess of 4 Ghz with slight voltage adjustments. It also has a core-unlock potential (you will most likely have to upgrade your mainboard BIOS to access this feature), and could net you the equivalent of a Thuban 1065T if you can get all 6 cores working.

Solution

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
i have the phenom ii x4 980 BE at stock speed and its fast. With my radeon 6770, i play starcraft 2 and battlefield 3 multiplayer on high without any problems (never tried ultra settings). I cant say how much of an improvement it will be because i never had the triple core rana but you wont be disappointed. Going from 2.9 to 4.2 ghz seems like a pretty big jump.

ttownpedro

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Ok, Now lets say I was able to sell my current MB (Asus M4a89GTD Pro USB 3) for what I paid for it 1 year ago (about $135) as well as the Triple core processor for the $70ish I paid for it a year ago.

I take that cash and put it toward the sub $200 core i5 2400 (according to a recent article on this sight to be the best sub $200 CPU currently) for $180 currently at newegg, and pair it with a $100 - $130 lga 1155 MB?

What then say you?

ttownpedro

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Thanks Houndsteeth.... I have been looking at all the feedback for the 960T since I read your comment, and it looks like a winner... I am now intrigued... but have yet another factor to consider :( Thanks to all who replied!

Status
Not open for further replies.