Just ordered BG1 with expansion

Planning on running it under winXP. Anything special i should know?

Also, how well do i need to understand the AD&D ruleset for this? I read the
rule books many many many years ago.

--
Supreme Lord: http://watorrey.net/
Heathcliff Dragon -==(UDIC)==-

    "The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
    > Planning on running it under winXP. Anything special i should know?

    Don't expect really intricate graphics or first-person view ;-) And
    no, there isn't a special mode, even "technically unsupported", that
    allows better graphics. Well, yes, there is, but at the time BG1 was
    made, 800x600 WAS "better graphics".

    Whereas in BG2, there are ways to get much more intricate graphics
    (but technically marked as "we do not guarantee these will work"), and
    800x600 is the default.

    > Also, how well do i need to understand the AD&D ruleset for this? I
    read the
    > rule books many many many years ago.

    Most of the mechanics are handled by the computer, and the others are
    explained reasonably well by the manual and the initial tutorial.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "Jonathan Ellis" <jonathan@franz-liszt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
    >> Planning on running it under winXP. Anything special i should know?
    >
    > Don't expect really intricate graphics or first-person view ;-) And
    > no, there isn't a special mode, even "technically unsupported", that
    > allows better graphics. Well, yes, there is, but at the time BG1 was
    > made, 800x600 WAS "better graphics".
    >
    > Whereas in BG2, there are ways to get much more intricate graphics
    > (but technically marked as "we do not guarantee these will work"), and
    > 800x600 is the default.

    800x600 will be fine with me. I have been killing time with Ultima VII which
    runs in 320x200 although i am running at 2x scale for 640x400
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    The Stare <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote:

    : Also, how well do i need to understand the AD&D ruleset for this? I read the
    : rule books many many many years ago.

    Most things are easy enough to follow through the tutorial, I would say. Potential hangups are...

    - The spell system isn't a mana-system, spellcasters must prepare their day's spells the night before. (or
    in the case of sorcerers, rest to replenish their spell slots for an always-available short list of
    spells.)

    - Dual-classing is a little counter-intuitive for those who haven't studied how to exploit it. I'd
    recommend not worrying about it. Multi-classing is different, and a little easier to follow.

    - The spell protection/counter-spell protection confused me at first and I thought I WAS a pretty decent
    D&D player. It's more like something you'd find in Magic than most D&D experiences.

    --
    Jason Compton jcompton@xnet.com
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "Jason Compton" <jcompton@xnet.com> escribió en el mensaje
    > The Stare <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote:
    >
    > : Also, how well do i need to understand the AD&D ruleset for this? I read
    > the
    > : rule books many many many years ago.
    >
    > Most things are easy enough to follow through the tutorial, I would say.
    > Potential hangups are...
    >
    > - The spell system isn't a mana-system, spellcasters must prepare their
    > day's spells the night before. (or
    > in the case of sorcerers, rest to replenish their spell slots for an
    > always-available short list of
    > spells.)
    There are no sorcerers in BG1, so don't worry about that, just memorize
    the spells ou want to use before sleeping.

    > - Dual-classing is a little counter-intuitive for those who haven't
    > studied how to exploit it. I'd
    > recommend not worrying about it. Multi-classing is different, and a little
    > easier to follow.
    >
    > - The spell protection/counter-spell protection confused me at first and I
    > thought I WAS a pretty decent
    > D&D player. It's more like something you'd find in Magic than most D&D
    > experiences.
    >
    > --
    > Jason Compton jcompton@xnet.com
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    The Stare wrote:

    > 800x600 will be fine with me. I have been killing time with Ultima VII which
    > runs in 320x200 although i am running at 2x scale for 640x400

    BG1 doesn't do 800x600. It only has one resolution--640x400.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > The Stare wrote:
    >
    >> 800x600 will be fine with me. I have been killing time with Ultima VII
    >> which runs in 320x200 although i am running at 2x scale for 640x400
    >
    > BG1 doesn't do 800x600. It only has one resolution--640x400.

    That's fine with me too ;)

    I just need a new game to play and wanted to do a 'classic' rpg. If i like
    it enough, i'll get the second in the series.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    The Stare wrote:

    > I just need a new game to play and wanted to do a 'classic' rpg. If i like
    > it enough, i'll get the second in the series.

    Well, it's a great game. :-) Although it shines more in terms of plot
    than tactical combat or puzzles. You /can/ play in multiplayer mode and
    create a whole group, but the plot isn't designed for that at all. I'd
    strongly advise you to create just the main character, as the game is
    designed for, and take companions along, choosing companions for fitting
    into your group and making sense with your main character rather than
    for power. It has a stronger plot and, thus, less open-endedness than
    some other games, but I think it's better for it.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Suddenly, The Stare, drunk as a lemur, stumbled out of the darkness and
    exclaimed:

    > Planning on running it under winXP. Anything special i should know?
    >
    > Also, how well do i need to understand the AD&D ruleset for this? I
    > read the rule books many many many years ago.

    Taking a break from Civ III? I just put a new hard drive in my computer
    and C3C, BG, and BG2 are the only games I bothered to reinstall.

    Make sure you install the expansion right from the start. It adds some
    convenient features to the game engine.

    --
    Billy Yank

    "Divine Comedy has the hallmarks of a bad fanfic. It's a crossover,
    and the author appears in the story as a central character. In fact,
    we should all be glad that Dante wasn't into furry."
    - Nockermensch in rec.games.frp.dnd

    Billy Yank's Baldur's Gate Photo Portraits
    http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2xvw6/
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "Billy Yank" <billyUSCOREyank@verizonDOT.net> wrote in message
    > Suddenly, The Stare, drunk as a lemur, stumbled out of the darkness and
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >> Planning on running it under winXP. Anything special i should know?
    >>
    >> Also, how well do i need to understand the AD&D ruleset for this? I
    >> read the rule books many many many years ago.
    >>

    > Taking a break from Civ III? I just put a new hard drive in my computer
    > and C3C, BG, and BG2 are the only games I bothered to reinstall.
    >
    > Make sure you install the expansion right from the start. It adds some
    > convenient features to the game engine.

    I'll be sure to install the whole thing asap.

    Yes, I am all civved out for the time being. It might have kept my interest
    a little longer if C3C wasn't broken.

    I got Ultima VII running but since i have played it before, i can guess
    ahead of time what is going to happen as my memory returns from playing it.
    Still fun though.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Expect a tougher game too. Your characters are certain to die at a
    higher frequency compared to BG2. There are no gem bags, no scroll
    containers and no bag of holding. You'll have a tougher time with
    inventory.

    There might be some little nuances with the interface but shouldn't be
    anything serious. Enjoy, this was indeed a revolutionary game in the
    RPG genre.

    Vince
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    <vjunkl@hotpop.com> wrote in message
    > Expect a tougher game too. Your characters are certain to die at a
    > higher frequency compared to BG2. There are no gem bags, no scroll
    > containers and no bag of holding. You'll have a tougher time with
    > inventory.
    >
    > There might be some little nuances with the interface but shouldn't be
    > anything serious. Enjoy, this was indeed a revolutionary game in the
    > RPG genre.

    What's the standard procedure when a character dies?
    I'm use to Ultima where you can just reload and do something different or
    take thier body to get resurrected somehow.
    (might get the game this week)
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    The Stare wrote:

    > What's the standard procedure when a character dies?
    > I'm use to Ultima where you can just reload and do something different or
    > take thier body to get resurrected somehow.
    > (might get the game this week)

    Reload, or take their body to a temple. :-p In BG1, none of your
    characters will get /quite/ high enough level to cast resurrection
    spells, but they'll be available early in BG2.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Kish wrote:

    > The Stare wrote:
    >
    >> What's the standard procedure when a character dies?
    >> I'm use to Ultima where you can just reload and do something different
    >> or take thier body to get resurrected somehow.
    >> (might get the game this week)
    >

    > Reload, or take their body to a temple. :-p In BG1, none of your
    > characters will get /quite/ high enough level to cast resurrection
    > spells, but they'll be available early in BG2.

    As the great sage Miracle Max once said, there are two types of dead.
    There is all dead and mostly dead.

    If they are mostly dead they are still a little bit alive. You will see
    their portrait in your party lineup, but grayed out. You can take them
    to a local miracle worker...I mean temple and get them raised. You will
    either need a pile of money (miracles aren't cheap kid) or a good cause.
    And since this game isn't about true love, you will have to settle for
    the cash option.

    If they are all dead, the only thing you can do is go through their
    pockets for loose change and cool magic items. It happens when a
    character takes too much damage in one hit, enough to bring them to -10
    hit points in a single blow. Their portrait will disappear. Their
    avatar will also get all explody or 'chucked'. Your only options are to
    continue the game without them, or reload.

    And unlike the movies, if the hero dies, the story ends. Any time your
    main PC dies, you will need to reload. You should use the quick save
    key early and often to avoid frustrating back tracking.

    Please note, real men don't reload. They take their deaths like a man
    and simply restart the game from the beginning. This is the 'iron man'
    option. Of course real men are generally idiots, so I wouldn't worry
    about this option if I were you.

    MSH
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    MSH <mshaslam@drizzle.com> wrote:

    : If they are all dead, the only thing you can do is go through their
    : pockets for loose change and cool magic items. It happens when a
    : character takes too much damage in one hit, enough to bring them to -10
    : hit points in a single blow. Their portrait will disappear. Their
    : avatar will also get all explody or 'chucked'. Your only options are to
    : continue the game without them, or reload.

    Note that in BG2, on Normal or Easy mode, this won't ever happen.

    --
    Jason Compton jcompton@xnet.com
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    You can also run both BG I and BG II in 1024 x 768 mode. Have been in this
    mode since I bought the games.
    Works just fine if your system can handle it.

    "The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
    > Planning on running it under winXP. Anything special i should know?
    >
    > Also, how well do i need to understand the AD&D ruleset for this? I read
    > the rule books many many many years ago.
    >
    > --
    > Supreme Lord: http://watorrey.net/
    > Heathcliff Dragon -==(UDIC)==-

Games Video Games Books