I5 2500k GPU advice.......

littlepowell73

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
So, If I get the I5 2500k, and ad a decent video card, (6950 2GB), the integrated CPU graphics are null, correct? What type of mobo will help me utilize the integrated GPU on the CPU?! Is there a type of board that will let the CPU's onboard GPU support the video card?!! From what I've read, you can only have one or the other. Looks confusing...I know you know what I'm talkin about!!! HELP A BROTHER OUT MAN!!! :)

littlepowell73

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Has anybody seen Tom!!?? Help me out and I will contemplate soliciting your advertisers. TOM!!!! (might have to shuffle over towards OVERCLOCKERS.COM.) An infinite number of geeks spewing suggestions. RIGHT RIGHT!!? Right Right....!! (Im a geek also....all due respect.)

jecho

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
2500k is better in most benchmarks. Plus it easily is overclockable to 4.4 on air cooling. Unless you are doing video editing or some other heavy multi-core process then you would ideally want a 2600k. But for gaming the 2500k is a beast.

littlepowell73

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Well, whats the point of spending money on a chip with an onboard GPU if yer graphics card will override it? And, the I5 2500k will show an increase in performance over the fastest AMD quad core on the market??

aaab

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Ok,

There isn't a point, if your intending to buy a video card then there isn't any point in buying a cpu with a built in GPU....

Have a look at the benchmarks yourself, but from what I have seen the i5 2500k is faster than AMD's quadcores

The point isn't to spend the money because it has integrated graphics; it's to spend the money because it's a better CPU period than any of the AMD quad-cores. Clock speed alone isn't an apples-to-apples comparison between those two architectures. Check out any number of benchmarks.

Plus, as others have mentioned, you can overclock the crap out of the i5-2500k.

littlepowell73

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Patient? Nah. Not a man of virtue. But I will look into the I5. Was looking at an AMD Phenom X4 980. But it seems the Intel chips are a little more stable overclocked. Heat is another issue. More research....right right? Thanks for the input!!

nznickwlg

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013

erm, Tom sold Tomshardware years ago - you are very unlikely to see Tom here ever again

nznickwlg

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013

Depending on your needs - intel quick sync, virtu, and media espresso or DVD Fab.
Will whip the butt off cuda in fps transcode and depending who you ask the quality is at least as good if not better than cuda (or AMD's version of same) technology.

Pizzaa

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
If anything, the integrated GPU will slow you down. I have a similar build (i5 2500k and a 7950), and the integrated CPU will be the default graphics set for your operating system. Just go into your settings and disable the integrated graphics, because you will never need them, even for power savings, because radeon cards clock themselves down to 300 mhz and lower voltage when extra computing isn't needed for games.