Should I get HD 5670 for my current system?

My system specs:

Mobo: Intel D945GCCR
Processor: Intel Pentium D 925 3.00 GHz
RAM: 2GB DDR2 (533 MHz, DRAM frequency 266 MHz)
Current GPU: Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS 512MB
Monitor Resolution: 1440x900

Other specs:

HDD: 250GB Segate ST3250820SV

So, I am thinking of buying HD 5670 for this configuration so that i can play FIFA 12 (everything maxed except AA) at 60 FPS, and demanding games such as Crysis 2 at medium settings with 30+ FPS. All at 1440x900.

And No Overclocking or SLI/Crossfire.

Q1. Will HD 5670+my current configuration be able to achieve this?
Q2. Will there be some overkill or bottleneck issues? (if yes, how much?)

P.S.: If there are some alternatives/suggestions, please let me know.
10 answers Last reply
More about should 5670 current system
  1. I know the 5670 will be able to run fifa 12 to your desired state as i was playing the demo this morning with the 5670, 1280x1024 high settings no AA with no problems so far.

I have pretty much the same system except a E6550 dual core, im not too sure if your cpu will bottleneck you but if it does your sure to still get a big performance boost over the 8400gs.
  2. @ MartinDN
    Well I am fully aware that with HD 5670 I will get a big performance boost over 8400gs but the question is that will my system be able to utilize hd 5670 to its potential.
  3. yeah but your cpu is seriously lacking, time for a new build, you could always carry the 5670 over to a new build

what is your psu make and model? and budget?

you need to build a new rig imo that cpu is going to seriously hold you back a dual core is the bare minimum these days and you are below that so, I would be surprised if you were able to play crysis 2 on low honestly, I could be wrong but with your lowly cpu there is not much telling, like Ive stated several times, save for a new build is you best move at this point...

shoot I just whacked a little kid for his 120 GB Slim ps3 off craigslist the other day for 100 bucks lol dumb kid... just sayin if your budget is super cheap...
  4. Yeah, a new build was actually my plan B, and now apparently that's gonna be implemented.
  5. P4? I seriously doubt you'll get a P4 to handle crysis well. The MINIMUM requirements are a C2D.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/03/crysis-2-minimum-pc-system-requirements-revealed-and-a-new-trai/
  6. @ 4745454b
    Umm... I have a Pentium D not P4.
  7. ^lol
  8. :lol: :pt1cable: You could add a GTX 590 or Radeon 6990 card in there and you're still not going to be able to play those games on max. A Pentium D is just two P4s slapped together. A 5670 is a good match for that CPU (perhaps even overkill) but you're not going to be able to play those games on max, or even medium.
  9. Okay then, thank you all for replying.
    I got the answer that spending on a new graphics card with those specs will be a waste, so I will be going for a $600-650 build. Hope to find a decent one. :)
  10. Good luck.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics