Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Display issues

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • GPUs
  • Safe Mode
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 26, 2011 2:01:56 PM

Hi guys,

I recently had some problems with my GPU (an 8800 gt oc) and had to take it to the service. They will have to replace it and in the meantime they gave me another gpu as a temporary gpu. I believe the one they gave me is a GTX 460.

When I got home and installed it - it would load the bios, show the windows logo with the loading text then the whole screen will go black with just a small opening at the top of the screen - a thin line.

I tried booting in safe mode but the same thing happens. I can see the Safe mode text at the top of the screen and if I move my mouse there I can even see the mouse but the entire screen is otherwise blacked out.

I'm guessing this has something to do with the drivers but if I can't go in the OS, not even in safe mode - how can I unninstall the old driver so I can install the one for the replacement card they gave me?

Please help me, I'm going insane here..all I reakky want to do is backup some documents from the HDD.

Thanks guys! I hope someone can help me out, I really am stuck. :sweat: 

More about : display issues

a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 3:58:17 PM

boot of a Linux LiveCD which will give you full access to your files
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 4:08:12 PM

What power supply do you have?

Did you plug both 6pin pci-e power cables to the video card from your power supply?
Related resources
September 26, 2011 4:19:32 PM

geekapproved said:
What power supply do you have?

Did you plug both 6pin pci-e power cables to the video card from your power supply?


Yes I did plug them both in; I have an Antec EarthWatts 500w (the psu should be more than adequate)..the card is working as I can see the mouse cursor and if I right click there - I can even see the context menu. I think the problem is with the driver from the old card..

Was thinking of trying to use the Repair function from my Windows cd..not sure about linux live cd..heard something about a program called puppy.

a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 5:01:11 PM

So what's the problem? Uninstall the nvidia drivers you have on your computer, then re-install the correct drive for the 560.
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 5:07:03 PM

geekapproved said:
So what's the problem? Uninstall the nvidia drivers you have on your computer, then re-install the correct drive for the 560.



It seems the problem is that he does not have video in Windows neither in Regular nor in Safe Mode. Therefore he do not know how to uninstall the old drivers.
September 26, 2011 5:48:33 PM

A quick update.

Firstly the replacement card is a gtx 470 not a 560, secondly it seems to be an issue of some sort with the drivers.

I just tried to use Repair with the Windows cd but to my amazement it loaded windows normally without me using the win cd. I backedup what I needed to back-up and then proceeded to try a fresh driver install.

After I unninstalled every driver from Nvidia, I unninstalled the Graphic Driver and the issue appeared immediately. A few restarts later in Safe mode as well as Nomral mode and the problem was once more.

I then closed the pc from the PSU and when I turned it on again, I was able to enter windows. Will try to install the driver again and see what happens.

I dont think its a psu issue. The Antec has always been rock solid. I still think it has something to do with the display driver and possibly the mobo..some conflict between the 2.

What do you guys htink?
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 6:36:51 PM

I think you need to download "Driver Sweeper". Then boot Windows into safe mode. Run Driver Sweeper and let it remove every NVIDIA display adapter. Then reboot normally and install the latest drivers from NVIDIA's website.
September 26, 2011 7:08:05 PM

I tried to clean the drivers using CCleaner, double-reboot and cleaned old versions that were unpacked in the Nvidia folder on C.

Now when I try to install the latest driver which from what I've read - is buggy as hell (280.26), the computer won't finish the installation and gives an error message that it cant install it.

After trying that several times, I decided to try an older version (275.33) - with this the black screen returned.

I'm out of ideas tbh..
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 7:13:17 PM

AnOniM said:
A quick update.

Firstly the replacement card is a gtx 470 not a 560, secondly it seems to be an issue of some sort with the drivers.

I just tried to use Repair with the Windows cd but to my amazement it loaded windows normally without me using the win cd. I backedup what I needed to back-up and then proceeded to try a fresh driver install.

After I unninstalled every driver from Nvidia, I unninstalled the Graphic Driver and the issue appeared immediately. A few restarts later in Safe mode as well as Nomral mode and the problem was once more.

I then closed the pc from the PSU and when I turned it on again, I was able to enter windows. Will try to install the driver again and see what happens.

I dont think its a psu issue. The Antec has always been rock solid. I still think it has something to do with the display driver and possibly the mobo..some conflict between the 2.

What do you guys htink?


Ok first of all I said 560, I meant 460, my mistake. But first you said you had a GTX460 now your saying it's a GTX470. Which is it??

Does your motherboard have onboard video you could try? Sounds like a nightmare scenario to me.




September 26, 2011 7:49:18 PM

I only said that because I wasn't sure which one it was..after the pc started I was able to look at what the replacement was actually..and it was a gtx 470.

My mobo doesnt unfortunately have video on board and I would just like to say that until my other GPU - the 8800gt broke, my system was rock solid. I never had a problem of this magnitude.

I know how to dodge e-bullets like viruses, trojans, rootkits and the like..I know which software to use and I consider myself to be above the average user in regards to my pc knowledge.

having said that, this problem completely baffles me. My best guess is it has something to do with the drivers from either the mobo, the gpu or windows.

Ofc it's also possible when the 8800gt broke that it also singed something on the mobo but if that was the case, it wouldn't start at all whereas the mobo seems fine and even the gpu seems fine, apart from this issue.

Only thing I can think of doing is re-install Windows and put a fresh nvidia driver set..possibly an older one that is known for being stable. Other than that, I can't think of anything else.
a b U Graphics card
September 27, 2011 5:13:08 PM

Have you tried a fresh windows install?
!