Help with balancing a multirailed psu

donutbear

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Ok so this is my first time posting and i need some help. i recently upgraded my system with a second gtx 470 for sli as well as a patriot pyro 60gb ssd, and to power this i needed to upgrade my xfx 650w psu. i replaced the psu with a kingwin lazer 1000w psu. now here is were the trouble comes, i was all good with the single rail desing of the xfx psu however making the jump to the 1000w multi rail kingwin psu has been a massive source of frustration. i cant for the life of me figure out how to balance the load on it as a result everytime i try and do something video intensive the computer will shut off(furmark causes instant shutdown). if someone could explain to me how to balance the connections on the power supply i would isnanly gratefull.

here is a link with a full run down of the psu:http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&file=print&reid=168
i am using the hardwired 6 pin and 6+2 pin pci adaptor for the first gpu, i need help connecting 2 standalone 6pin pci adaptors for the second gpu as well as the 4pin connectors for case fans and the serial ata power connector

full system specs:
2x galaxy gtx 470 in sli
8gb g.skill ripjaws 1600mhz ram
amd phenom ii x4 965
corsair h60 cpu cooler
patriot pyro 60gb ssd
kingwin lazer 1000w psu

donutbear

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
As far as I. An tell its Psu related and the fact I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing with the multiple rails. All the components were working fine under the 650w Psu minus the second CPU. The fact that within a second of furmark and about 5 secondsof an HD video it crashes makes it seem like I'm overloading a rail or something.

The Kingwin Lazer 1000W really has only three +12V rails despite what the label shows.

The non-modular 20+4 pin ATX main power cable is by itself on 12V4.

The non-modular (i.e. fully wired) cable with the 6 pin PCIe (560mm) and 6+2 pin PCIe (+150mm) is on the 12V5/12V6. Internally these two are fused together into one rail. The non-modular 4+4 pin EPS12V connector (560mm) and 8 pin EPS12V connector (560mm) are also on this fused rail.

The modular 6 pin PCIe (520mm) and modular 6+2 PCIe (520mm) cables are on 12V1/12V2/12V3. Internally these three are fused into one rail. This fused rail is also used by the modular 4 pin Molex peripheral cables and modular SATA power cables.

That's correct. All of the modular connectors get their +12V power from the same fused together 12V1/12V2/12V3 rail.

Have you tested each graphics card individually to make sure that they both function by themselves without problems?

donutbear

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Yup everything has been tested. The only thing else I could think that would cause the issue would be the ssd, mainly that sometimes windows won't detect it( I have windows 7 installed yo it) I think this is due to a faulty sata cable though I don't know if that would cause the power down. Maybe my best bet would just be to rma psu

donutbear

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
ok rma'd the psu and got a new one, things are runnign smoother(general functions atleast) but im still getting a power down on furmark, i cant help but think im doing something wrong. is there a way to tell what rails correspond to which connectors?

In the third post below your original post I described how the +12V rails are wired and distributed.

Which graphics card are the hard-wired PCIe connectors connected to?

Which graphics card is the modular PCIe connectors connected to?

I know that power supply doesn't have great transient load response.

donutbear

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Thanks for the reply, I did read your post. I tried connecting the hard wired pci to the first card and then 2 of the modular PCi connectors to the second card. That didn't work so than I tried connecting a modular connector along with one of the hard wired ones to the first card and then the two ssame modelar ones to the second card

donutbear

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
OK so i tried it with just a single gpu, same problem. at this point im thinking a second dead psu, ill try a few more things but if thats the case i am going to go ahead and get a refund and switch to a more reliable brand

All signs point to a defective PSU or an incompatibility of that PSU with your system.

Sticking with the well known brands is a better strategy.