Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How much of Gigs of memory do you need for gaming system?

Last response: in Components
Share
February 24, 2012 1:59:51 AM

Hello, I am building a gaming computer with Intel BOXDX79SI LGA 2011 Intel X79 mother board, Intel i7-3960x CPU,
2 of EVGA GTX 590,
120GB SSD,
1TB Hard Drive
February 24, 2012 2:15:35 AM

8GB is more than you need.... for nowadays game...I sell couple of i7-3930K System with 16GB or 32GB ... these client is mostly for 3D Animation Design or Photo Editing.... if they monitor the memory use while they play the Game mostly even not exceed 4GB
February 24, 2012 2:18:08 AM

4GB is good enough. even for x64 systems
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
February 24, 2012 2:22:51 AM

BUT unless you have a ridiculous budget ($3500+) you should absolutely go with a 2500K.
February 24, 2012 2:24:28 AM

4GB ram for gaming is the sweet spot and town bicycle
a b 4 Gaming
February 24, 2012 2:25:41 AM

work with 4 gig on win 7x64
February 24, 2012 2:30:13 AM

8 gigs
February 24, 2012 2:45:10 AM

I would say yes 4GB is good already but the memory is so cheap .... and you want to save memory slot for future upgarde .... so better get at least 2x4GB ===8GB Now..
February 24, 2012 2:51:33 AM

sonexpc said:
I would say yes 4GB is good already but the memory is so cheap .... and you want to save memory slot for future upgarde .... so better get at least 2x4GB ===8GB Now..


Agreed, 8gb is the sweet spot and dirt cheap.
a b 4 Gaming
February 24, 2012 2:53:41 AM

4GB minimum, I would say 8GB is the sweet spot. 4GBs tends to run around $20-30, while 8GB can be had for around $50. There are only a few games now that need more then four, but in a few years who knows.
a b 4 Gaming
February 24, 2012 2:56:49 AM

if this was sandy, then i'd say get an 8gb since rams are cheaper now. i agree with the 2x4gb so if ever you need to add more then you still have slots left
February 24, 2012 3:32:15 AM

Cons29 said:
if this was sandy, then i'd say get an 8gb since rams are cheaper now. i agree with the 2x4gb so if ever you need to add more then you still have slots left

Always get the biggest denominational of ram stick like 4GB Dimm
a b 4 Gaming
a b å Intel
February 24, 2012 4:27:12 AM

This is x79, 8gb will be good, however 16gb would look much better on your board :) 
February 24, 2012 6:29:28 AM

4GB is plenty ... but since you can get 8GB of the same RAM for almost nothing more, you might as well.
a b 4 Gaming
February 24, 2012 7:54:10 AM

i'm on 6GB, using 5GB when gaming, will be going to 16GB as its cheap, and at some point I may find a use for it, and it'll be harder to find a close enough match later.
a b 4 Gaming
February 24, 2012 8:16:07 AM

8 minimum
February 24, 2012 9:16:14 AM

Strictly for gaming, 4GB is certainly more than enough.

The recommendation could be to buy 8GB however (2x4GB sticks) due to the current pricing. 8GB is really good value for money, and although games won't utilise that much now, they might in the future.
a b 4 Gaming
February 24, 2012 9:20:30 AM

AdrianPerry said:
Strictly for gaming, 4GB is certainly more than enough.


Afraid not, i'm using between 4 and 5GB when gaming, so if you had 4GB you'd be page filling regularly.
February 24, 2012 10:12:31 AM

13thmonkey said:
Afraid not, i'm using between 4 and 5GB when gaming, so if you had 4GB you'd be page filling regularly.

You dont need 20million program's running in the background when gaming shut em down and you will be well under 4gb ram and have a smoother game.
a b 4 Gaming
February 24, 2012 10:27:15 AM

actually its also my office machine, i'm not just a gamer, so if you think its acceptable to spend 5mins 'preparing' a machine for gaming then thats your time, for the £20 that the extra 4GB will cost then i'm more than happy to pay it.
February 24, 2012 10:38:17 AM

13thmonkey said:
Afraid not, i'm using between 4 and 5GB when gaming, so if you had 4GB you'd be page filling regularly.


Then that's not the game using that much RAM, its another program.

Games are designed for windows 32-bit. Therefore possibly never using over 3GB RAM.

Once again, for GAMING....4GB is plenty. If you want to be somehow multi-tasking with a bunch of other programs open at the same time your gaming, then yes, more RAM will be useful.
a b 4 Gaming
February 24, 2012 11:00:42 AM

Once again, you only play games on a whole system, so once again the total system usage can easily hit 4GB. Actually AFAIK the limit for a 32bit exe (not OS) is 2GB.
February 24, 2012 11:04:47 AM

Currently use 6gig on an i7 920 build, not hit any issues with ram or ever been at ~80%+ ram usage most games hit around 60% on BF3.
February 24, 2012 11:15:07 AM

4 GB is sufficient, but 8 GB is increasingly become standard for today's computers be it office or gaming. Only applies to 64 bit systems though.
February 24, 2012 11:21:45 AM

asr1971 said:
Hello, I am building a gaming computer with Intel BOXDX79SI LGA 2011 Intel X79 mother board, Intel i7-3960x CPU,
2 of EVGA GTX 590,
120GB SSD,
1TB Hard Drive


4Gb is good if you disable some windows7 feature and do not multitasking. But if you play 64bit MMO's you'll be struggeling. And with the price difference betwin 2x2gb and 2x4GB their is no reason to live with only 4gb on a new computer build.
a b 4 Gaming
a b å Intel
February 24, 2012 11:24:16 AM

Does anyone know a game with system requirements higher than 2GB of RAM? That's probably the lower limit on the title of this thread; how much do you "need" to play games. Four GB would be comfortable however, and allow for other programs that may be running at the same time. Looking at price though, 8GB is not twice the price of 4GB, and for that tiny additional amount, you're buying a lot of future-resistance.
Short answer: I wouldn't get less than 4GB, and think 8GB is the most sensible choice overall.
February 24, 2012 11:40:33 AM

UltimateDeep said:
4 GB is sufficient, but 8 GB is increasingly become standard for today's computers be it office or gaming. Only applies to 64 bit systems though.



8 gig for office systems, dont talk utter sh*t, you would struggle to see pc's with over 2 gig.
Most companies use low end pc's because its cheap and functional; at my work we cut off at 1gig minimum and 4 gig max (for our graphic designers) majority of our pc's have 1-2 gig. Roughly the same has gone for every place ive worked.
a b 4 Gaming
February 24, 2012 11:44:41 AM

When my box is being used for office work the most stressful thing it does is open IE, 122,000 line spreadsheets/minitab sheets are nothing in comparion to facebook for memory load.
February 24, 2012 4:28:31 PM

Onus said:
Does anyone know a game with system requirements higher than 2GB of RAM? That's probably the lower limit on the title of this thread; how much do you "need" to play games. Four GB would be comfortable however, and allow for other programs that may be running at the same time. Looking at price though, 8GB is not twice the price of 4GB, and for that tiny additional amount, you're buying a lot of future-resistance.
Short answer: I wouldn't get less than 4GB, and think 8GB is the most sensible choice overall.


if you are on a really tight budget than yes i would go with 2 GB of ram. after i was able to get some extra cash a year later i upgraded to 4GB of ram and found a huge difference. but ram is cheap right now so if i were building again i would shoot for 8GB just because i could
a b 4 Gaming
February 24, 2012 4:49:17 PM

4 will work for most things, but 8 is perfect for the price.

The more memory you have, the more stuff windows will(or can) prefetch for you anyway....

Sitting at 2.54(yet my media center with more open uses less, it is a 4gig system, vs 16 on my main system. Not going to lie, 8 would have been more then enough for me, 4 would be just a little shy for some things.) gigs in use right now just on the net and listening to music.

If you are on a budget then i can see 4, but 8 or even 16 is a far better option for the future.
February 24, 2012 4:58:06 PM

captaincharisma said:
if you are on a really tight budget than yes i would go with 2 GB of ram.


The OP is putting in "2 of EVGA GTX 590 & 120GB SSD" he is most definitely NOT on a tight budget.

The consensus of opinion is 8GB (2 x 4GB - cheap & slots free) which should cover gaming for a while yet. If you're using the machine for other stuff i.e. graphics, video etc then by all means load up on RAM.
February 24, 2012 5:07:32 PM

I'd go for 8 GB (4x2GB), though I don't honestly have any data to back up that decision. If you're going to go that high-end on the CPU, why not buy plenty of RAM? Note that you'll want to have 4 sticks to take advantage of the quad-channel memory on the 3960x.

My guess is that 4 GB would also be OK. With an SSD you actually can get away with less RAM because SSDs have such good random read/write performance.
February 24, 2012 5:23:36 PM

My experience, 8GB. SW:TOR 4gb vs 8gb. 4gb took quite a while for the game to load and start playing, once in and running, ran perfectly fine, just don't alt-tab to check a web page on a fight, takes just as long as the original load time to refresh the game.

8 gb, loads up considerably faster, alt-tab takes about 2 seconds to refresh.

There are a few other games that are in the same boat, this one stands out more than the others out of the games I currently have.

Conclusion, 4gb will work, 8gb if you want multitasking.
February 24, 2012 10:44:16 PM

13thmonkey said:
actually its also my office machine, i'm not just a gamer, so if you think its acceptable to spend 5mins 'preparing' a machine for gaming then thats your time, for the £20 that the extra 4GB will cost then i'm more than happy to pay it.

Actually you shouldn't be gaming on a work machine hence why you have problem with ram requirements and running games which you should not be running on a work machine anyway LOL come back when you know what it is you are talking.
February 25, 2012 6:54:43 AM

Boopoo said:
Actually you shouldn't be gaming on a work machine hence why you have problem with ram requirements and running games which you should not be running on a work machine anyway LOL come back when you know what it is you are talking.



Yeah... don't be an idiot, its possible he works from home, or simply has a gaming laptop.
February 25, 2012 7:27:51 AM

mouse24 said:
Yeah... don't be an idiot, its possible he works from home, or simply has a gaming laptop.

4gb ram is plenty for gaming
February 25, 2012 7:59:27 AM

mouse24 said:
Yup, but you can grab 8GB for 30 bucks so why not, right?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Personally I only stick to well know and proven companies not some off brand thing but hey thats just me and I have never had a ram problem in over 10 years a few reputable companies that I have used - Kingston, Corsair, Mushkin.
a b 4 Gaming
February 25, 2012 8:27:42 AM

Boopoo said:
Actually you shouldn't be gaming on a work machine hence why you have problem with ram requirements and running games which you should not be running on a work machine anyway LOL come back when you know what it is you are talking.


the next poster has got it right, its my gaming machine that I also work on, working on a 24" + 22"(portrait) is so much easier with big sheets and preparing reports.

When you've grown up, come back and opinionate some more.

I think a q9550 + GtX470 + GT220 + 6GB ram + 120 M4 SSD + 500GB for local storage qualifies as a gaming machine and 4TB of server storage is enough, all self build and upgraded over the last 10 years or so. How many have you built? How many people have you helped on here? How useful is anything you say?
February 25, 2012 8:43:39 AM

13thmonkey said:
the next poster has got it right, its my gaming machine that I also work on, working on a 24" + 22"(portrait) is so much easier with big sheets and preparing reports.

When you've grown up, come back and opinionate some more.

I think a q9550 + GtX470 + GT220 + 6GB ram + 120 M4 SSD + 500GB for local storage qualifies as a gaming machine and 4TB of server storage is enough, all self build and upgraded over the last 10 years or so. How many have you built? How many people have you helped on here? How useful is anything you say?

Cool Story Bro ! ;-)
a b 4 Gaming
February 25, 2012 8:57:39 AM

keep giving the 'advice' the rest of us will help them out when you've mucked it up.
February 25, 2012 9:05:28 AM

Cool Story Bro ^
a b 4 Gaming
February 25, 2012 9:17:13 AM

stories are all you know how to read sis
February 25, 2012 3:55:02 PM

13thmonkey said:
stories are all you know how to read sis

I most forgot more than you know so stop acting like a pro LOL.
a b 4 Gaming
February 25, 2012 4:06:04 PM

Boopoo said:
I most forgot more than you know so stop acting like a pro LOL.


OK, and there are fairies at the end of your bed.

I think you'll find the phrase is "I almost forgot.." or "I have forgotten...", "I most forgot... " doesn't actually mean anything.
!