Upgrading 4 year old PC for friend

xAnimosity

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Hey everyone!

I just built a new rig and was going to give my old one to a buddy who is to poor to build a new one.

I think the biggest upgrade this computer needs is just a new GPU.

it currently has -

geforce 8600 gts
8g ddr2 ram (just upgraded that)
550w psu
mobo - http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.us.asp?Model=4Core1600Twins-P35
quad core processor, cant remember specific model. but it was almost top of the line 4 years ago.

could anyone please recommend the best GPU for this build? i live in the US and would like to buy from newegg, amazon or best buy (buddy works there and gets discounts)

any help would be appreciated.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I agree we definitely need a bit more info to go on. Your GPU is determined by what PSU you have.

xAnimosity

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
awesome i found my receipt with all the specs.

600w coolmaster cxi series
intel quad core2 2.4 ghz

for budget, cant really say maybe $100. if its mostly just the GPU to upgrade. what is the best he can get for the current mobo, processor and psu?

thanks again

g-unit1111

Titan

As long as your motherboard (I'm guessing Intel 945? 975?) has PCI-e x 2.0 you should be able to run any graphics card you want. If you want the best bang for your buck right now - no question it's the Sapphire Radeon 6850. You can find them for about $160 - $170 on Newegg - the Flex model with Eyefinity will run a bit more.

If you wanted to spend a bit more I'd recommend going with a EVGA Geforce GTX 560.

xAnimosity

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011

Im not sure his monitor size, i am guessing 19-21inch. PSU/budget stated above.

And this mobo doesnt seem to have PCIe 2.0. Its quite an old model.