Cut 24 pin wire!

mtech23

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
2 of the wires were cut and twisted back together and electrical taped....the computer is not getting power now.. do the 24 pin wires have to be soldered back together in order to work properly or is there another problem?

snakebitex

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2012
If there is a problem with wires on a power supply and your confident that you can solder them back with no problem then give it a shot.
Btw test your motherboard with a new or a power supply that you know is working properly.

Hope this helps.

mtech23

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011

It was cut for a sleeving project gone wrong its not even 2 months old and theres never been another problem with the system. I just want to know if cutting it could have caused a problem or they should be able to be soldered back and work properly which I assume there should which makes me think there's another problem :/

Sorry, there was someone else a few weeks ago who posted that they had left their PSU on the porch and had come back to find some of the 24pin cables were cut. Thought you were back. Soldering back together would be 100% better, just twisting them for low voltage low current is ok, but mobo's use lots of current, and you've just put a big resistor (the twist) in the cable, this should then reduce the voltage at the mobo end, hence it may not work.