My High CPU Temp Issue

benjamin1016

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
Hey guys,

I have an I7-2600k and am using a Hyper 212 on an ASUS P8Z68 V-pro Gen3. I built my PC November of last year.

This is what my case is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811517010&Tpk=azza%20hurricane%202000

When my computer was first built everything ran perfectly fine, at idle my PC would be around 30-32F. Last night I checked my CPU temp and it was 89F, I turned it off and tonight I cleaned out the dust that was in there. I turned it back on and it's now running at 80-84F when I just sit in BIOS.
A few weeks ago (about a month) I noticed it was taking longer to load everything in general and it makes this semi-loud processing sound as it loads. Weird *** would happen in games too, like I would disconnect for no reason and lag sometimes. I concluded this was all due to the dust in my PC so after I cleaned it out and it was still running at a high temperature I knew something else was wrong.
A few things I think are wrong: -My Hyper212 only runs at around 870-900Rpm, Shouldn't that be much higher?

-When I was first installing my Cooler I tried the stock 2600k first, I didn't remove the previous paste and just mixed it with the Arctic Silver that I used with the Hyper212. I thought this would be bad but It was working up until now, I would think something would have happened sooner as a result of that.

I've literally changed nothing at all in my PC since I built it except for cleaning out the dust just recently. So if you guys could give me your opinion on what you think is wrong that'd be great, thanks.

benjamin1016

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
I mean I don't know what to tell you, that's what my PC was telling me it has F right next to Celcius and those were the temperatures it was giving me. I know that 89F isn't good because it's gushing out hot, not warm air from the back. At this point I think it was the thermal paste, I mean you can just hear it struggling to load anything.

well as 13thmonkey says you may have used too much thermal paste

but what are you using to measure the temperatures?

try realtemp and see what it says

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/