WHATS THE BEST GAMING ROUTER???

FSUMack86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
Im not even sure what companies make the best networking devices. Of course, everyone knows of Linksys by Cisco. But I heard Trendnet's line-up is quite good. What do you guys have/suggest?

Solution
theres really no such thing as a good router for gaming. they are all designed to a set standard for signal frequency, transfer rate and so on.
the way to get the best out of your router is to make sure you have a clean signal, making sure you optimize your connection for the speed you have.
or better still use a wire... either way if you use wireless your gonna add to your latency...
personally i don't recommend any wireless devices for gaming, unless your just having fun and dont care about winning at least 1s in a while.

Not true. Reliability and QoS are two major features in a router that may not necessarily qualify it as a "gaming router" but definitely optimize things for maximum network performance with these...

GhosTBeer

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
I do have TP-Link and D-Link, both of them are working great
but i would suggest to you the D-Link, it's working great..
By the way there is nothing called a gaming router, If you just want a router for like 4 PC's by max you can choose any router,But if you are planing to make a big network like for more than 10 PC's then you should start comparing between routers..
Good luck finding one and if you current one is working good you shouldn't waste your money on a new one ^^

Psychoteddy

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
theres really no such thing as a good router for gaming. they are all designed to a set standard for signal frequency, transfer rate and so on.
the way to get the best out of your router is to make sure you have a clean signal, making sure you optimize your connection for the speed you have.
or better still use a wire... either way if you use wireless your gonna add to your latency...
personally i don't recommend any wireless devices for gaming, unless your just having fun and dont care about winning at least 1s in a while.

Not true. Reliability and QoS are two major features in a router that may not necessarily qualify it as a "gaming router" but definitely optimize things for maximum network performance with these applications. Many cheap routers introduce excessive latency and do not have advanced QoS features like some premium routing equipment does. When you're talking about online gaming, a good reliable connection is crucial, and being able to prioritize traffic to minimize latency and maximize speed is of utmost importance.

I'm running my e3000 40 ft away from the client, bridged across my laptop wirelessly to my Xbox with no latency issues whatsoever. My previous router (a cheap Netgear that I had lying around) made games barely playable.

Solution

Psychoteddy

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
there in lies the problem. qos can be disabled windows side as its only used to update m.s. products (on the whole) silently in the background. turning it off free's up bandwidth (normally 20 percent).

as for your claim of no latencey issues, your using wirless devices, theres always added latencey, just your used to it. i game on pc where my average latencey to the server is often only 15-30ns on xbox the average is over 100 you may not think this is a big difference but in real terms its quite a lot. (quote hosting priv's)

i often hear "ftw! how did you beat me". they just seen me pop out in front of them, but when they review a game demo they see i saw them long b4 they thought i did, this is purely down to the latency from there wireless routers which often add between 10 and 20 ns per step (xbox, laptop, router, modem).

1 lad lives just round the corner on the same service and his latency is over 3 times mine just because he uses wireless... i convinced him to spend 15 pounds on an Ethernet extension cable and it cut it by half even at close to 30 feet.

im not saying your wrong as your console gaming, but on pc the tolerances are often finer so more pronounced.

so im in agreement with the guy saying don't waste your cash on a new router unless you really do need a new 1 as there will be little or no overall difference.

QoS isn't a client-side feature... I think you misunderstand the premise of QoS. I've got XBL set on high priority with my router and I noticed a fairly decent difference in performance for online games. There's not really a way to measure latencies with an Xbox so I don't really know where you're getting your figures from (except thin air). Besides, I ran a tracert from my laptop to google and latency (wirelessly, over 802.11n, with ICMP QoS set to high priority) was <10ms 40 ft from the access point through two brick exterior walls, so your theory that wireless causes latency where games are rendered unplayable is not true at least for 802.11n applications.

I'd also like to point out that latency is measured in milliseconds, not nanoseconds...

PC and console tolerances are one in the same. This talk about Xbox Live having higher tolerance for latency is also fabrication with no backing. If a message takes 30 ms to reach a server, it does not matter where it came from, the only thing that matters is that it took 30 ms. PCs and consoles follow the same exact networking specification as everything else that the IEEE decrees. One does not send data faster than the other. They use the same protocols, and (relatively speaking) the same hardware to do it, pushing the same voltages, frequencies, and current to the same network, to the same servers, who also use the same hardware, same voltages, same frequencies, and same current. It is called a standard of networking for a reason.

Say what you want but I am a professional networking tech and I do this for a living.

Psychoteddy

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00807e9717.shtml guess these guys beg to differ also...

oh and m is next to n on the keyboard. damn site wouldnt let me edit when i realized id made a spelling mistake...

I don't see your point. I too know how to setup QoS on a Cisco business router. But this is neither a discussion about business hardware and VoIP prioritization nor is it about setting it up, rather the advantages and disadvantages of QoS

riser

Illustrious
QoS being pointed out at layer 3? That would be the router layer, not the application layer.

An Xbox will out perform a PC any day when it comes to gaming. The Xbox is a specific set of hardware and the games are tailor made for best performance on those devices. As with a PC and so many varying parts, you will see varying latency depending on your hardware, drivers, configuration, etc.

As far as what L-S-D was mentioning about QoS for MS products, he really was referring to BITS. BITS is used to update Microsoft products, not QoS. By default, QoS is disabled on a Windows workstation. BITS will use the maximum available bandwidth to download when available. If you start gaming, BITS can stop downloading if needed. Althought in most cases you're not maxing out your network connection playing a game, latency will become an issue when multiple threads are using your bandwidth.

Basically, sure, turning off BITS will help improve your gaming performance.. if you're in the middle of downloading an MS Update. Then again, if BITS is off, it'll use all available bandwidth to download. In that case, it'll be worse for a short time.

As far as QoS goes, it does nothing more than secure X amount of bandwidth for the specified item. If something requires 80% of the bandwitdh, it'll ensure it has that bandwidth. This could affect your gaming depending on your configuration. If you have multiple streams being throttled by QoS, the router may add latency. A cheaper router would most likely have an issue, whereas a higher grade router would be able to better process the traffic.

Jrezky

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013

I have been coming to toms hardware for many years, this site has been integral to some very important decisions I have made and countless others. However after seeing your post I am finally, after all this time, inclined to make a forums account here. All this time, lurking like a good little boy. I just had to make an account to respond to this comment. Just a simple response, mind you, and that response would be BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!