Scanning Software

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
April 26, 2005 7:50:59 AM

I have an Epson 3200 flatbed scanner: I have tried [1]Silverfast SE -
which came with the scanner[2] a demo version of Silverfast A1 and
[3]demo Vuescan software but don't like any of these of these
programmes.

Using the Epson software for scanning 35mm colour negatives I find the
interface far easier to use and have had excellent results: I
paricularly like the thumbnail image(and the image is shown as a
POSITIVE) option with the Epson preview which makes images much easier
to deal with the than with Silverfast and Vuescan, whic show the film
strips in negative form.

This experience seems strange as I would have expected from what I have
read, that the 3rd party software would be better than Epson's.
Am I missing something here?

Denis Boisclair
Cheshire, UK

More about : scanning software

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 1:54:39 PM

In article <1114512659.622407.203440@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk says...
> I have an Epson 3200 flatbed scanner: I have tried [1]Silverfast SE -
> which came with the scanner[2] a demo version of Silverfast A1 and
> [3]demo Vuescan software but don't like any of these of these
> programmes.
>
> Using the Epson software for scanning 35mm colour negatives I find the
> interface far easier to use and have had excellent results: I
> paricularly like the thumbnail image(and the image is shown as a
> POSITIVE) option with the Epson preview which makes images much easier
> to deal with the than with Silverfast and Vuescan, whic show the film
> strips in negative form.
>
> This experience seems strange as I would have expected from what I have
> read, that the 3rd party software would be better than Epson's.
> Am I missing something here?
>
> Denis Boisclair
> Cheshire, UK

If you are seeing the film strips in negative you didn't set the
input film type correctly.

--
Robert D Feinman
http://robertdfeinman.com

On 4/26/05 5:50 AM, in article
"denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk" <denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> I have an Epson 3200 flatbed scanner: I have tried [1]Silverfast SE -
> which came with the scanner[2] a demo version of Silverfast A1 and
> [3]demo Vuescan software but don't like any of these of these
> programmes.
>
> Using the Epson software for scanning 35mm colour negatives I find the
> interface far easier to use and have had excellent results: I
> paricularly like the thumbnail image(and the image is shown as a
> POSITIVE) option with the Epson preview which makes images much easier
> to deal with the than with Silverfast and Vuescan, whic show the film
> strips in negative form.
>
> This experience seems strange as I would have expected from what I have
> read, that the 3rd party software would be better than Epson's.
> Am I missing something here?
>
> Denis Boisclair
> Cheshire, UK

I wish that I could tell you that you are missing something, but my
experience has been the same as yours! As a fairly recent purchaser of an
Epson 4990 I am finding that the Epson scan software is more straight
forward and produces results equal to or better than SilverFast SE (I am
usually scanning positives).
If someone could chime in and say some really great things about SilverFast
I might give it some more tries; otherwise I'll stick with Epson's own
software. One almost wonders if SilverFast didn't pay Epson to include the
SE version hoping that some users will pay to upgrade to one of their other
versions.
Chuck
April 26, 2005 7:02:59 PM

I have used silverfast myself and prefer to use Epson software. In
siverfasts defence the colour management is better, but then I do all I need
to in CS, so only one trick to learn.

John D

<denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have an Epson 3200 flatbed scanner: I have tried [1]Silverfast SE -
> which came with the scanner[2] a demo version of Silverfast A1 and
> [3]demo Vuescan software but don't like any of these of these
> programmes.
>
> Using the Epson software for scanning 35mm colour negatives I find the
> interface far easier to use and have had excellent results: I
> paricularly like the thumbnail image(and the image is shown as a
> POSITIVE) option with the Epson preview which makes images much easier
> to deal with the than with Silverfast and Vuescan, whic show the film
> strips in negative form.
>
> This experience seems strange as I would have expected from what I have
> read, that the 3rd party software would be better than Epson's.
> Am I missing something here?
>
> Denis Boisclair
> Cheshire, UK

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 11:18:19 PM

I have an Epson 4180 and I like it. Being a programmer, I feel that
that the software that came with the Epson stinks. While easy to use it
has a very poor user interface and is not well thought out. That said,
it does produce good results.

I do hear that Vuescan is far and away the best. I just do not want to
spend the money for it. I would like to know why some people do not
like it.

C Wright wrote:

>On 4/26/05 5:50 AM, in article
>1114512659.622407.203440@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
>"denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk" <denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>I have an Epson 3200 flatbed scanner: I have tried [1]Silverfast SE -
>>which came with the scanner[2] a demo version of Silverfast A1 and
>>[3]demo Vuescan software but don't like any of these of these
>>programmes.
>>
>>Using the Epson software for scanning 35mm colour negatives I find the
>>interface far easier to use and have had excellent results: I
>>paricularly like the thumbnail image(and the image is shown as a
>>POSITIVE) option with the Epson preview which makes images much easier
>>to deal with the than with Silverfast and Vuescan, whic show the film
>>strips in negative form.
>>
>>This experience seems strange as I would have expected from what I have
>>read, that the 3rd party software would be better than Epson's.
>>Am I missing something here?
>>
>>Denis Boisclair
>>Cheshire, UK
>>

>I wish that I could tell you that you are missing something, but my
>experience has been the same as yours! As a fairly recent purchaser of an
>Epson 4990 I am finding that the Epson scan software is more straight
>forward and produces results equal to or better than SilverFast SE (I am
>usually scanning positives).
>If someone could chime in and say some really great things about SilverFast
>I might give it some more tries; otherwise I'll stick with Epson's own
>software. One almost wonders if SilverFast didn't pay Epson to include the
>SE version hoping that some users will pay to upgrade to one of their other
>versions.
>Chuck

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 12:45:16 AM

<denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> I have an Epson 3200 flatbed scanner: I have tried [1]Silverfast SE -
> which came with the scanner[2] a demo version of Silverfast A1 and
> [3]demo Vuescan software but don't like any of these of these
> programmes.
>
> Using the Epson software for scanning 35mm colour negatives I find the
> interface far easier to use and have had excellent results: I
> paricularly like the thumbnail image(and the image is shown as a
> POSITIVE) option with the Epson preview which makes images much easier
> to deal with the than with Silverfast and Vuescan, whic show the film
> strips in negative form.
>
> This experience seems strange as I would have expected from what I have
> read, that the 3rd party software would be better than Epson's.
> Am I missing something here?

My understanding is that Silverfast (which I have not used) is very good in
it's support of color management. Vuescan, which I have used, does have a
perverse UI, but it provides excellent manual control over scanner
operation, supports color managed workflows, and work with large number of
scanners on 'Doze, the Mac, and Linux, all with one license (Silverfast
wants more money for each different scanner/OS pair, as I understand it).

The last I checked, Vuescan does not support the thumbnail-preview-final
scan modus operandum of my scanner, so I use NikonScan. But Vuescan's pretty
nice, and the developer is quite responsive to reasonable (i.e. polite)
requests and inquiries.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
April 28, 2005 7:46:09 AM

"One almost wonders if SilverFast didn't pay Epson to include the SE
version hoping that some users will pay to upgrade to one of their
other
versions.
Chuck "

It was the fact that Epson include Silverfast SE which made me wonder
why I preferred their own software!

all the replies are appreciated and reassuring - I'll carry on using
the Epson software - as already mentiond, I particularly like the
excellent thumbnail(with enlargementoption) facility.

Denis
!