PC has randomly decided to go AWOL

Clove

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
Hey, I recently upgraded my PC's GPU from a 8800GT to a nice GTX260.
All was well and I was playing my games much more smoothly and kickass and shizzle.
The only thing is, a few days ago I noticed my PC would randomly turn on in the morning. Waking up to see my room full of bright blue light and a hell of a lot of noise.
But, it wasn't an issue. (Just hoping it helps the diagnosis)

But, my PC is now basically unusable if I ever want to leave safemode.
In a matter of seconds the PC will BSOD from the desktop, maybe 10 seconds since logging in?
The warning is the IRQL_Driver_Not Less_Or_Equal
So I look around and thats about driver errors (clue in the error right?). But, the only thing I have done slightly technically since the new GPU was put in (everything was hunky dory) was add 2 fans to the AMBX kit I got (that didn't cause errors) and backing up the hard drive to a backup hard drive (actually this is close to when the issues began, but I can't see how backing up would cause these issues)

I've uninstalled/re-installed my Nvidia drivers. That fixed it! For... maybe 40mins.
I am currently running Memtest to see if there are any RAM issues somehow causing these problems. So far no errors. I am wondering if the PSU has something to do with it, but why would the driver uninstall/reinstall help with a PSU error?

TLDR Version

PC randomly turning on in morning.
Now BSOD's, with IRQL_Driver_Not Less_Or_Equal error.
Uninstalled/reinstalled latest nvidia drivers.
That was a super temporary fix.
No new equipment added.
Running Memtest now, so far no errors.

Thanks for your help (If you do :ange: )

Clove

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
Ok I'm not sure how to lock this thread now but the issue has been resolved.

Turns out my card that I added to enable another SATA slot for my extra hard drive was faulty.
Removed that and the PC now works fine.. although the dvd drive is now unplugged :S