Sign in with
Your question
Closed

285.38 Discussion

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 5:26:55 PM

I noticed that new drivers were out today, 285.38 beta which is boasting 38% performance increase in BF3!? has anyone seen this or tried it in the BETA? Maybe it will not be as demanding as people think?

More about : 285 discussion

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 5:34:34 PM

I think it is.
http://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/612-players-dont-mee...

It may not be as optimized as it can be, as with most new releases, but the game itself most likely will bring many systems to their knees if they try to max it out.

Medium to high will still be a great experience, but the final release will tell for sure.
a c 272 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
September 26, 2011 5:35:46 PM

I'll install these in a bit but I am not in the Beta and I don't actually have any of the Battlefield games but I have had a brief go of BBC2 on my friends machine, does that count? :lol: 
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 7:48:47 PM

^oh yeah mouse sounds like your a huge BF Fan :bounce: 
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
September 26, 2011 7:55:54 PM

Ok so it's not the first thing on my mind right now (it never has been at all if I'm honest) but I do like a new driver to play with, who doesn't? :) 
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 8:38:00 PM

yeah thats what I say and also 38% is a huge boost if it is truly optimized that much which I doubt
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
September 26, 2011 8:40:56 PM

It might be that much, which just means that the previous driver didn't work very well.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 8:44:14 PM

Yeah I guess manipulating that statistic to their advantage, hopefully the game is well optimized since I will surely be playing it...
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 8:44:29 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Ok so it's not the first thing on my mind right now (it never has been at all if I'm honest) but I do like a new driver to play with, who doesn't? :) 

All the people who lost their cards during the 196.75 fiasco, probably.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/warning-nvidia-19675...
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 8:49:38 PM

^that sounds bad, good thing its far behind at this point
Score
September 26, 2011 8:52:55 PM

It wasn't too bad. I just sent in the card for an RMA. They replaced it no problem :D 
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 8:55:28 PM

^you are a victim of this driver plight?
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
September 26, 2011 8:56:55 PM

eyefinity said:
All the people who lost their cards during the 196.75 fiasco, probably.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/warning-nvidia-19675...

Apart from the ones who got new cards out of it of course, at Nvidia's expense. I notice how you forgot to mention that bit, what a surprise. :whistle: 
Score
September 26, 2011 8:58:30 PM

Unfortunately I was. I always kept up-to-date on my drivers... still do even after that. Don't let that story scare you unless your warranty is expired.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 9:00:02 PM

^yeah all in all not a bad deal if they had bought it a good deal prior to it craping out, im not scared, its one issue
Score
September 26, 2011 9:00:42 PM

Yeah it was time for me to upgrade anyway. I sold it once I got the RMA back. Sold it as NEW :D  :D 
Score
September 26, 2011 9:03:25 PM

Back on topic... I haven't seen any issues with the upgraded drivers yet. However, i'm not a Alpha tester either :( 
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
September 26, 2011 9:04:53 PM

Lyden said:
It wasn't too bad. I just sent in the card for an RMA. They replaced it no problem :D 

Yeah, unlike ATi/AMD Nvidia were quick to put their hands up and admit they made a **** up, the GSOD issue that plagued the 5xxx series upon release however was rebuked, ignored and flat out denied as even existing until various websites got on the case and even then a 'fix' was very quietly rolled out some four months or so later.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 9:05:22 PM

yeah me neither and Im hoping someone playing the Alpha and soon to be beta can let us know what performance is like with the new driver as compared to the old one, and possibly how their amd counterparts perform...
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 9:33:05 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Apart from the ones who got new cards out of it of course, at Nvidia's expense. I notice how you forgot to mention that bit, what a surprise. :whistle: 

Funny I remember Nvidia closing down lots of complaint threads and plenty of people getting told it was too late because their cards were out of warranty.
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
September 26, 2011 9:35:32 PM

eyefinity said:
Funny I remember Nvidia closing down lots of complaint threads and plenty of people getting told it was too late because their cards were out of warranty.

And yet we have a poster on this thread who said that they got their card replaced.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 9:36:18 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Yeah, unlike ATi/AMD Nvidia were quick to put their hands up and admit they made a **** up, the GSOD issue that plagued the 5xxx series upon release however was rebuked, ignored and flat out denied as even existing until various websites got on the case and even then a 'fix' was very quietly rolled out some four months or so later.

Anyone who had a GSOD card could get a replacement easily. My mate got one of them, no problem replacing it. There were a lot of Nvidia owners with dead cards who didn't get a replacement.

You'd have to be pretty brave to trust Nvidia drivers after that, at least straight off the bat. I'd wait a few days to make sure they weren't killing cards again.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 9:36:54 PM

Mousemonkey said:
And yet we have a poster on this thread who said that they got their card replaced.

And it was also under warranty. What about the people who had one that wasn't under warranty?
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
September 26, 2011 9:40:10 PM

eyefinity said:
And it was also under warranty. What about the people who had one that wasn't under warranty?

What about all the folk who were told that the GSOD/vertical lines issue didn't exist? From what I gather there were a lot of them, best to aviod ATi cards until they have some sort of reliable track record don't you think?
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 9:42:07 PM

Mousemonkey said:
What about all the folk who were told that the GSOD/vertical lines issue didn't exist? From what I gather there were a lot of them, best to aviod ATi cards until they have some sort of reliable track record don't you think?

I'm not disagreeing that the GSOD problem was badly handled by AMD, it was a total fiasco as well, but at least people could get a replacement card due to them all being under warranty. The sad fact is, that Nvidia driver cost people their cards with no compensation.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 9:46:37 PM

Anyway not trying to hijack this thread :p 

I think it's worth remembering that when Nvidia is playing catch-up, they are willing to take risks by perhaps not giving their drivers enough testing.
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
September 26, 2011 9:54:09 PM

eyefinity said:
I'm not disagreeing that the GSOD problem was badly handled by AMD, it was a total fiasco as well, but at least people could get a replacement card due to them all being under warranty. The sad fact is, that Nvidia driver cost people their cards with no compensation.

It didn't cost me my cards and I'm sure that there were many others who didn't even notice the glitch for the same reason that I didn't and what about all those who did suffer the GSOD and replaced their cards for something else and received no compensation? Why is that not such a big deal? IIRC a certain Jennyh returned a 5850 and got 5770's because of the GSOD/vertical lines issue but she never mentioned any financial reimbursement from ATi, so how is that better?
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 10:03:00 PM

Mousemonkey said:
It didn't cost me my cards and I'm sure that there were many others who didn't even notice the glitch for the same reason that I didn't and what about all those who did suffer the GSOD and replaced their cards for something else and received no compensation? Why is that not such a big deal? IIRC a certain Jennyh returned a 5850 and got 5770's because of the GSOD/vertical lines issue but she never mentioned any financial reimbursement from ATi, so how is that better?

Obviously not everyone was affected otherwise Nvidia would have been looking at the mother and father of all lawsuits. The only people likely to be affected by it are those who keep drivers up to date asap, and who have cheaper systems with lesser cooling. Only enthusiasts keep drivers up to date, and they generally have better cooling in their systems. Nvidia had pulled the driver before it was capable of doing real harm to a lot more people.

I don't see how anyone returning any 5-series AMD card wouldn't get a full refund if they wanted, as the GSOD situation was fixed long before the minimum 1 year warranty period. I think a lot of people were disappointed and held on to their cards hoping for a fix, and that prolonged the problem - but if they'd just RMA'd for a replacement or a their money back they would have been guaranteed it by law.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 10:06:30 PM

eyefinity:

Youre really doing this again? Why bro?

Personally I have found Nvidia drivers to be more reliable overall in my experiences. So many times with Radeon cards I would find myself rolling back to a previous driver and with NV I have only done so once...

And obviously in your experiences AMD had been much more reliable, we know, thats great for you...

I dont care to argue specifics if you like AMD buy a radeon end of story, I myself feel differently...

this thread is not AMD vs Nvidia, you can start that one on your own if you wish...

please, I just want to discuss the new beta driver so If your not personally running it then im not concerned with your opinion thanks...
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 10:10:24 PM

jjb8675309 said:
eyefinity:

Youre really doing this again? Why bro?

I'm not "doing anything" again. I said I wasn't trying to hijack the thread and mousemonkey came back with yet another bunch of questions.

Quote:
please, I just want to discuss the new beta driver so If your not personally running it then im not concerned with your opinion thanks...

Seems like nobody else is working in the public interest in this thread. Nvidia's drivers have been very dubious of late because they take risks when trying to gain an advantage. It's in the interest of people who have an Nvidia card to know what their history has been, so what you think of my opinion doesn't matter. Sorry.

You clearly didn't know about this driver issue btw, which means you should be one of the people who does want to know about it.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 10:14:06 PM

your not answering my question at all, I am not talking about the history of drivers I am talking about 285.38 and its performance relative to the old driver in BF3, thats all ....

Youre opinion is extremely biased and thats what I think of it...

If you dont have anything to add to the thread then leave or start your own thread about AMD bs
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 10:18:44 PM

jjb8675309 said:
your not answering my question at all, I am not talking about the history of drivers I am talking about 285.38 and its performance relative to the old driver in BF3, thats all ....

Youre opinion is extremely biased and thats what I think of it...

If you dont have anything to add to the thread then leave or start your own thread about AMD bs

:lol: 
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 10:20:20 PM

^thanks for ruining another thread...
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 10:20:35 PM

Best answer selected by jjb8675309.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 10:21:11 PM

close this thing....

this forum is becoming less and less usable with people like the above
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 10:22:19 PM

^no one cares, calling out a MOD like Mousemonkey is not a wise idea...
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 10:26:09 PM

jjb8675309 said:
^no one cares, calling out a MOD like Mousemonkey is not a wise idea...

Plenty of people care. And where am I "calling out" mousemonkey? He says something, I disagree. Would you ban all discussion you don't agree with? Tbh you probably would yeah, that's why you've asked to close the thread - because reading bad stuff about your precious nvidia makes you uncomfortable.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 10:27:47 PM

problem is you are not discussing what the thread was intended for so in that case, yeah................................ thread over, basically it would be great if I could ban you from any thread im in :lol: 
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 10:28:47 PM

... nice edited in insult
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 10:30:27 PM

and likewise when you read either goods things about nvidia, and bad thigns about amd you try to disprove them... Ive owned both, but right now im concerned with what I own, yeah why is that so hard to grasp?
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 10:31:14 PM

jjb8675309 said:
problem is you are not discussing what the thread was intended for so in that case, yeah................................ thread over, basically it would be great if I could ban you from any thread im in :lol: 

When you talk about trying out new drivers, it's important that people understand the risks involved. How is that not discussing the thread?

Are you saying there is zero chance of this driver being faulty as well? If so you should be banned from the whole forum for advising people to make rash decisions and 100% trusting that Nvidia won't do it again.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 10:32:42 PM

jjb8675309 said:
and likewise when you read either goods things about nvidia, and bad thigns about amd you try to disprove them... Ive owned both, but right now im concerned with what I own, yeah why is that so hard to grasp?

So what exactly is the problem that got you running away to close the thread? I don't see any insults being thrown around, you just can't handle reading the truth (if it's bad about nvidia anyway).
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 11:08:17 PM

eyefinity said:
So what exactly is the problem that got you running away to close the thread? I don't see any insults being thrown around, you just can't handle reading the truth (if it's bad about nvidia anyway).

The problem is you going around hijacking thread after thread and spreading your AMD BS all over the place. I like AMD. I'd buy them (a 6950, for example) if they'd offer the value for money I'm looking for in my country. However, in your opinion there isn't a single nVidia card out there that isn't beaten by an AMD card for the price. Take the notorious 560 Ti vs. 6950 debate... how many of them have you ruined with your BS? I've seen at least two; I'm sure there're more.

You diverted the discussion away from the topic and you're saying that you can't trust a new nVidia driver. Sure, there's even a "Driver stopped working" browser-related issue in the current WHQL (280.26) for some users. Happens. Are you saying AMD is better with its drivers? IME, there's been way more AMD driver issues in the past than nVidia. Does that matter? No. That was then, this is now. You remind me of this one Apple fanboy on Tom's who keeps praising Macs because they "once" (don't know when, though) had better hardware than Wintel. Forget the past and face the present - and the present is that both companies offer reliable and affordable GPU solutions that keep roughly around the same price point for each pair of competing cards.

My advice is to stop that behaviour... sooner or later people will get tired of your attitude and they'll request the moderators to keep you away from their threads.

Back to the topic: I'm not trying any betas... my card is on the warranty, but I'm happy with current Forceware 280.26 - if it ain't broke, don't fix it :)  (I'm such a hypocrite... :lol: ) Also, I don't participate in BF3 testing (or hype), so I don't even care. Now, if that driver would help with DA2 a bit... come on, a console port that can't be maxed out with DX11 smoothly? :D  Or is it just me? :ange: 
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 11:14:00 PM

amk-aka-Phantom said:
The problem is you going around hijacking thread after thread and spreading your AMD BS all over the place. I like AMD. I'd buy them (a 6950, for example) if they'd offer the value for money I'm looking for in my country. However, in your opinion there isn't a single nVidia card out there that isn't beaten by an AMD card for the price. Take the notorious 560 Ti vs. 6950 debate... how many of them have you ruined with your BS? I've seen at least two; I'm sure there're more.

Weird how I didn't see you saying the same thing to jjb or matto or plenty of other nvidia fanboys who have been doing the EXACT same thing for months. Do you want me to link proof?

Quote:
My advice is to stop that behaviour... sooner or later people will get tired of your attitude and they'll request the moderators to keep you away from their threads.

My advice to you is to be very careful when attacking me in threads that you have no clue about. If the graphics forum was moderated by anyone except mousemonkey then there would be bans handed out daily to nvidia fanboys and their personal attacks and insults.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 11:21:55 PM

amk-aka-Phantom said:
Now, if that driver would help with DA2 a bit... come on, a console port that can't be maxed out with DX11 smoothly? :D  Or is it just me? :ange: 

As far as Dragon Age 2 goes I run it on high @1920X1200 and 4xaa and it runs perfectly smooth with 285.38, Very high settings seem to produce some strange results such as the floor textures so I leave it on high and can barely tell a visual difference anyways...

Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 11:24:11 PM

eyefinity said:
Weird how I didn't see you saying the same thing to jjb or matto or plenty of other nvidia fanboys who have been doing the EXACT same thing for months. Do you want me to link proof?

Quote:

My advice to you is to be very careful when attacking me in threads that you have no clue about. If the graphics forum was moderated by anyone except mousemonkey then there would be bans handed out daily to nvidia fanboys and their personal attacks and insults.

Sure, link proof. I'll say the same thing to any fanboy who's looking for anything else other than value for money. But so far, I've only seen YOU doing it.

So, you're basically saying that mousemonkey is an nVidia fanboy and thus doesn't care for other nVidia fanboys... cool story bro. I'm sure that other moderators can step in, too. Would expect more knowledge of the forums from a 1-year member.

[:amk-aka-phantom:1] Personal attacks? [:amk-aka-phantom:1] Ah yes... I have dismissed that claim. I'm merely pointing out what you're doing. Call that a personal attack? Go ahead. There's a convenient label for anything these days... "No clue"? Please elaborate :) 

The point is that this thread was made for discussing the new nVidia driver. You have no business here if you're just gonna diss nVidia and their past failures - it's pointless. Now, will you please GTFO peacefully? :)  Though, at this point it doesn't even matter - the thread is ruined. :whistle: 
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 11:24:29 PM

Lets see eyeinfinity, I have 59 best answers in the GPU section and pretty much joined the same time as you, and how many do you have..?

and your calling me a fanboy but your the one who has an Ati logo in your avatar
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 11:27:32 PM

amk-aka-Phantom said:
Sure, link proof. I'll say the same thing to any fanboy who's looking for anything else other than value for money. But so far, I've only seen YOU doing it.

Obviously if you are blind to nvidia propaganda you won't see it as such.

Quote:
So, you're basically saying that mousemonkey is an nVidia fanboy and thus doesn't care for other nVidia fanboys... cool story bro. I'm sure that other moderators can step in, too. Would expect more knowledge of the forums from a 1-year member

Did you even read that link I posted earlier? :lol:  Even 1-2 years ago people were berating mousemonkey for his nvidia favouritism and nothing has changed. You are seriously green lol.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 11:34:14 PM

jjb8675309 said:
Lets see eyeinfinity, I have 59 best answers in the GPU section and pretty much joined the same time as you, and how many do you have..?

I have no idea where "best answers" are stored but if you have more than me it's simply down to you have 3x more posts than I do.

Quote:
and your calling me a fanboy but your the one who has an Ati logo in your avatar

I'll be sure to check up on you calling everyone who has nvidia and intel avatars a fanboy too. :lol: 
Score
!