Some PSU questions

shadow_city

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Hey Tom's Hardwarian's :)

I have this old PSU but it works great but there are some questions I want to ask before I reuse it.

Specs: 315 w, made by FSP, Model number: FSP315-60PNA_E (PF)

+3.3V: 15A
+5V: 25A
+5Vsb: 2A
+12V1DC: 11A
+12V2DC: 11A
-12V: 0.4A

Wire configuration:

(A)-----24 pin
(B)-----4 pin EPS
(C)-----Molex------Molex
(D)-----Molex------Molex------Floppy

I cabled wire D to the 24 pin for wire management purposes. This only leaves me with 2 molex's to connect my drives. I have 2 molex to sata splitters, making a total of 4 sata plugs on wire C.

Is it ok to have 4 drives on 1 wire?

This is also an old power supply. It looks like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104999

Cases with top mounted PSU's will have that metal tab which helps support the PSU. Can I shorten the tab and will it still hold? Will it interfere with anything with new motherboards? This is because the fan will get in the way. The PSU weighs 1.8 kg, 4 lbs.

Thanks in advance

Solution

Not a bad little PSU; good 12V rails for a 315W PSU. IRT the metal tab...is it a horzontal support under the PSU or...

Not a bad little PSU; good 12V rails for a 315W PSU. IRT the metal tab...is it a horzontal support under the PSU or acting to reinforce the horizontal tab. If we're talking the horizontal tab, then shortening it to provide extra space for a 'fan that will get in the way' is not going to provide significant amounts of additiional space. These tabs are maybe 1-2mm thick and the obstruction will be the bottom of the PSU. If you remove the horizontal metal tab, then it's likely that you will still be able to install the PSU, but the primary support may become the screws attaching it to the case. In this scenario, the weight of the PSU is likely to warp/bend the case frame over time and lead to the unsecured end of the PSU sagging down and creating more obstacles.

You might be able to run 4 drives off a single molex rail, but I would not personally configure my rig like that. Undue stress on that rail during startup or strenuous load situations. I would take the cable management hit or figure a better way to route the cables...maybe a little Dremel work on the case...

Solution