5870 Crossfire bottleneck

StaFForD

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
Currently I am running a Phenom II 955 overclocked to 3.8 with my HD5870 and 8gb of 1600 Cas 9 RAM. I run at a resolution of 1920x1080.

I know that adding a second 5870 will create a bottleneck. I am wondering how noticeable said bottleneck would be as I am looking to upgrade in the near future and I am trying to figure out how I want to go about my upgrade.

If you need any other info let me know. Thanks.

Solution
You're good to go bro. That board is better than my wife's and shes running 2x 5850's with the same CPU. The bottleneck is the processor but honestly, when I compared benchmarks, it was slightly lower than others that i've seen.

Lyden

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Actually if you keep your CPU overclocked, you won't see that much of a bottleneck. The 955 never ceases to amaze me at its performance... especially at a overclocked state. What motherboard do you have? That could be your biggest bottleneck.

Lyden

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
You're good to go bro. That board is better than my wife's and shes running 2x 5850's with the same CPU. The bottleneck is the processor but honestly, when I compared benchmarks, it was slightly lower than others that i've seen.

Lyden

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011

Solution

holdingholder

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
People still continue to use the word bottleneck when it's a non-existent problem. Unless your using a cpu from the last generation you will never bottleneck any gpu setup with any modern cpu. The term bottleneck would mean that if your using a certain cpu, you would be stuck at certain framerates no matter what gpu you were using. Obviously, if you get a more powerful cpu, you will get a few more frames per second, but todays games are more heavily gpu dependent than ever, so of you have a monster gpu setup, you will increase peformance no matter what cpu you have. And a quad core phenom 2 can handle any game out there maxed out, if you have the graphical horsepower.