Sign in with
Your question

PSU upgrade for Gateway?

Last response: in Components
February 24, 2012 11:30:26 AM

Hey guys.

I recently purchased a Gateway DX4860-UB32P desktop.
http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/model/PT.GCPP2.0...

The main purpose of this pc isn't gaming, however I was curious as to whether or not it's possible to upgrade the PSU, so that I can also install an actual video card instead of the integrated Intel HD 2000 graphics.

I'm wondering if I can upgrade even though it's a Gateway, and not in a gaming specific case. What type of PSU would I need, and would a new one even fit? Are you even able to change the PSU on these pre built branded computers? Are the fans it has (one exhaust on side, one exhaust on back, and and the PSU fan enough to keep one of the higher end video cards cool?

Sorry for all the text.

More about : psu upgrade gateway

a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 11:47:30 AM

That unit uses a standard ATX PSU, so finding an upgrade to say, a 500W. should be easy. Just go to newegg and input the appropriate filters.

As for cooling off the system once a new video card is in, not to worry, the video card comes with it's own cooling fan and heatsink, so that shouldn't be a problem.
m
l
February 24, 2012 12:53:56 PM

Great, thanks for the help. So as long as I buy an ATX PSU it will fit? Also, how did you know that it uses an ATX PSU? Not that I don't believe you, because I do. Just wondering so I can figure that type of thing out for myself in the future.

Normally I'd just look at the case specs, but I couldn't find anything online seeing as how its not a stand alone case you can buy.

One last thing, is something like a Radeon 6850 overboard for this PC, or would it serve me well?
m
l
Related resources
a c 158 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 1:24:19 PM

6850 is a great little GPU and will serve you well for a while. It is not overboard for your rig...I'm using a 6950 1GB with my I3-2120.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 2:21:34 PM

Not all ATX PSUs are the exact same size. To be safe I would measure the dimensions of the current PSU and compare to the dimensions of the PSU you intend to install. You don't need a 600W PSU for your system; I'm running a 6950 on a 520W PSU and the rest of my specs are similar to yours. If you're getting a great deal on it, then go for it. A good 500W PSU is actually more than enough for your system...

Edit: That card is only 9 inches in length so it should fit into your case...again it's always better to measure before you pull the trigger. Measure twice...cut once
m
l
February 25, 2012 1:49:54 AM

Alright. Thanks for the help.
m
l
!