Solved

3930k or ivy bridge

I'm currently constructing a computer that will only be used for gaming and the occasional word documents. I had decided to outfit it with the i7 3930k, but I keep hearing reports that ivy bridge will have a significant increase in performance and graphics over the current sandy bridge. I was wondering if I should wait and for the ivy bridge or go ahead and grab the 3930k?
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 3930k bridge
  1. Rumors are rumors. What is now on the market is fact. You want to buy something from rumors or from facts ?
    Buy a Sandy Bridge quad core. The six core cpu's are good if you work with them ( video rendering, 3D and other heavy programs who need calculation power).
  2. Best answer
    sosofm said:
    Rumors are rumors. What is now on the market is fact. You want to buy something from rumors or from facts ?
    Buy a Sandy Bridge quad core. The six core cpu's are good if you work with them ( video rendering, 3D and other heavy programs who need calculation power).

i agree. however there has been some testing done prior to RTM.
    Core i7 3770S 65W quad up to 27 percent faster
    http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/26045-core-i7-3700s-65w-quad-up-to-27-percent-faster

but back to the OP question; with what appears to be the improvement of ivy bridge (socket 1155 like sandy) and haswell next year (LGA 1150) i am not sure that sandy-e (LGA 2011) won't get lost in the dust like the 1366s

if you need/want something NOW getting a z68 motherboard that will support ivy with a bios update with a i5 2500k (that can overclock easily) may be worth your consideration.
  3. In the end it all comes down to what you are going to be doing like sosofm said if you are doing something that will take advantage of the 6 cores great go that path but if you dont stay with one of our current generation of Intel® Core™ processors.

Christian Wood
    Intel Enthusiast Team
  4. Best answer selected by darknirvana21.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs