Sign in with
Your question
Solved

3930k or ivy bridge

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 24, 2012 12:27:49 PM

I'm currently constructing a computer that will only be used for gaming and the occasional word documents. I had decided to outfit it with the i7 3930k, but I keep hearing reports that ivy bridge will have a significant increase in performance and graphics over the current sandy bridge. I was wondering if I should wait and for the ivy bridge or go ahead and grab the 3930k?

More about : 3930k ivy bridge

a b à CPUs
February 24, 2012 12:33:33 PM

Rumors are rumors. What is now on the market is fact. You want to buy something from rumors or from facts ?
Buy a Sandy Bridge quad core. The six core cpu's are good if you work with them ( video rendering, 3D and other heavy programs who need calculation power).
m
l

Best solution

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2012 1:56:41 PM

sosofm said:
Rumors are rumors. What is now on the market is fact. You want to buy something from rumors or from facts ?
Buy a Sandy Bridge quad core. The six core cpu's are good if you work with them ( video rendering, 3D and other heavy programs who need calculation power).

i agree. however there has been some testing done prior to RTM.
Core i7 3770S 65W quad up to 27 percent faster
http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/26045-core-i7-3700s-6...

but back to the OP question; with what appears to be the improvement of ivy bridge (socket 1155 like sandy) and haswell next year (LGA 1150) i am not sure that sandy-e (LGA 2011) won't get lost in the dust like the 1366s

if you need/want something NOW getting a z68 motherboard that will support ivy with a bios update with a i5 2500k (that can overclock easily) may be worth your consideration.
Related resources
a c 190 à CPUs
February 24, 2012 2:12:24 PM

In the end it all comes down to what you are going to be doing like sosofm said if you are doing something that will take advantage of the 6 cores great go that path but if you dont stay with one of our current generation of Intel® Core™ processors.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
March 13, 2012 9:58:42 PM

Best answer selected by darknirvana21.
m
l
!