Sign in with
Your question

Cisco rv082

Last response: in Networking
December 21, 2010 11:58:42 AM

This should be easy. On a firewall, Linksys RV082 specifically, do access rules do any directing of packets or just permit it? Then all directing is done with the forwarding area? Also, does all forwarding have to have an access rule to permit it?

The reason I ask is that my forwarding of of SMTP packets to our Exchange Server works fine, but there is nothing in the Access Rules to permit WAN SMTP packets to go anywhere. So, unless the forwarding implicitly has permission, I don't know how it is working.

More about : cisco rv082

December 21, 2010 1:14:24 PM

datastarservice said:
This should be easy. On a firewall, Linksys RV082 specifically, do access rules do any directing of packets or just permit it? Then all directing is done with the forwarding area? Also, does all forwarding have to have an access rule to permit it?

The reason I ask is that my forwarding of of SMTP packets to our Exchange Server works fine, but there is nothing in the Access Rules to permit WAN SMTP packets to go anywhere. So, unless the forwarding implicitly has permission, I don't know how it is working.

You are correct. Firewalls can inspect and permit/deny packets but they generally do not route traffic (with the exception of some hardware firewalls which have multiple ports with integrated routing features built-in).

However, the device that you have is officially termed a "router" by Cisco themselves. So, it looks like you have some sort of hybrid device that both inspects AND routes traffic through your network.

What you may want to try to remedy this problem is fowarding port 25 (SMTP's port). It's a long shot but it may fix the issue altogether. OR, you may be able to setup a rule to allow all outbound traffic from port 25?
!