Nikon D50 vs. Canon Digital Rebel XT

Has anyone done a comparison between the Nikon D50 vs. Canon Digital
Rebel XT? I know the D50 was just announced but there is already a
preview at dpreview.com. I read over the specs and from what I see it
looks like a scaled down D70 and doesn't look like it competes with the
Canon DR XT at all. I'm in the market and so far I've been planning on
purchasing the Canon DR XT. I know as soon as I do, Nikon will come
out with a successor to the D70. :)
11 answers Last reply
More about nikon canon digital rebel

    <newsbirdie2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Has anyone done a comparison between the Nikon D50 vs. Canon Digital
    > Rebel XT? I know the D50 was just announced but there is already a
    > preview at dpreview.com. I read over the specs and from what I see it
    > looks like a scaled down D70 and doesn't look like it competes with the
    > Canon DR XT at all. I'm in the market and so far I've been planning on
    > purchasing the Canon DR XT. I know as soon as I do, Nikon will come
    > out with a successor to the D70. :)

    The D50 was meant to serve as the entry level Nikon digital body. The D70
    is the model that you should be comparing to the XT.

    True211 wrote:

    > <newsbirdie2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Has anyone done a comparison between the Nikon D50 vs. Canon Digital
    > > Rebel XT? I know the D50 was just announced but there is already a
    > > preview at dpreview.com. I read over the specs and from what I see it
    > > looks like a scaled down D70 and doesn't look like it competes with the
    > > Canon DR XT at all. I'm in the market and so far I've been planning on
    > > purchasing the Canon DR XT. I know as soon as I do, Nikon will come
    > > out with a successor to the D70. :)
    >
    > The D50 was meant to serve as the entry level Nikon digital body. The D70
    > is the model that you should be comparing to the XT.

    Why so? Both EOS-350D and Nikon D50 are light, plasticky
    entry models for entry or budged constrained photographers.
    They compare perfectly.

    Thomas

    On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:59:44 -0400, "True211" <true211@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    ><newsbirdie2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Has anyone done a comparison between the Nikon D50 vs. Canon Digital
    >> Rebel XT? I know the D50 was just announced but there is already a
    >> preview at dpreview.com. I read over the specs and from what I see it
    >> looks like a scaled down D70 and doesn't look like it competes with the
    >> Canon DR XT at all. I'm in the market and so far I've been planning on
    >> purchasing the Canon DR XT. I know as soon as I do, Nikon will come
    >> out with a successor to the D70. :)
    >
    >The D50 was meant to serve as the entry level Nikon digital body. The D70
    >is the model that you should be comparing to the XT.

    Or the D70s which is to be released very soon.......

    <newsbirdie2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Has anyone done a comparison between the Nikon D50 vs. Canon Digital
    > Rebel XT? I know the D50 was just announced but there is already a
    > preview at dpreview.com. I read over the specs and from what I see it
    > looks like a scaled down D70 and doesn't look like it competes with the
    > Canon DR XT at all. I'm in the market and so far I've been planning on
    > purchasing the Canon DR XT. I know as soon as I do, Nikon will come
    > out with a successor to the D70. :)

    Your hunch is right.

    How about buying a used 300D and save the money on a better lens? Would you
    rather have the 350D with the kit lens or the 300D with a 70-200 f/4 L? One
    is wide and one is tele but that L lens is so nice.

    ThomasH <henrymot@coco.net> wrote:

    >> The D70 is the model that you should be comparing to the XT.
    >
    > Why so? Both EOS-350D and Nikon D50 are light, plasticky
    > entry models for entry or budged constrained photographers.
    > They compare perfectly.

    Here is info from photozone.de/active/feature/dslrs.jsp
    showing that the D50 has significant advantages such as
    better low-light AF, faster flash sync, 2nd curtain flash,
    more custom functions, and bigger LCD.

    Canon 350D Nikon D50
    ----- -----
    sensor Canon CMOS Sony CCD
    resolution 3456x2304 3008x2000
    chipSize 22.2x14.8mm 23.7x15.6mm
    cropFactor 1.6x 1.5x
    ISO_range 100-1600 200-1600
    AF_sensors 7 1+ 5 1+
    AF_range .5/18 EV -1/19 EV
    metering seg,ctr,ptl seg,ctr,spot
    meterRange 2/20 EV 0/20 EV
    exposureComp +-2 in .3/.5 +-5 in .3/.5
    shutter 1/4000-30s,B 1/4000-30s,B
    bracketing yes yes
    mirrorLockup no no
    DOF_preview yes yes
    flashSystem E-TTL II Nikon 3D II
    flashXsync 200 500
    HiSpeedSync yes no
    2ndCurtain ? yes
    flashComp +-2 in .3/.5 -1/+3 in .3/.5
    hotshoe/PC yes/no yes/no
    onboardFlash 13 (18mm) 11 (28mm)
    viewfinder pentamirror roof-mirror
    VFcoverage 95% 95%
    magnification .8x .75x
    viewfindrInfo AF,AEL,A,T,F,AEB AF,AEL,A,T,F,AEB
    diopterAdj yes yes
    programs PASM,8 PSAM,7
    customFunc 9 20
    frames/sec 3 2.5
    burstRate 14 12
    battery LiOn NB-2LH LiOn EN-EL3
    memoryType CF 1 & 2 SD
    connectivity USB2 HS USB2 HS
    imageFormats JPEG, RAW JPEG,RAW
    LCD_size 1.8" 115000pix 2.0" 130000pixel
    bodyMaterial plastic plastic
    weight 485g 540g
    sizeWxHxD 126x94x64mm 133x102x76mm

    > > Has anyone done a comparison between the Nikon D50 vs. Canon
    Digital
    > > Rebel XT? I know the D50 was just announced but there is already a
    > > preview at dpreview.com. I read over the specs and from what I see
    it
    > > looks like a scaled down D70 and doesn't look like it competes with
    the
    > > Canon DR XT at all. I'm in the market and so far I've been
    planning on
    > > purchasing the Canon DR XT. I know as soon as I do, Nikon will
    come
    > > out with a successor to the D70. :)
    >
    > Your hunch is right.
    >
    > How about buying a used 300D and save the money on a better lens?
    Would you
    > rather have the 350D with the kit lens or the 300D with a 70-200 f/4
    L? One
    > is wide and one is tele but that L lens is so nice.

    I don't want to buy a used 300D because I want to buy a DSLR that I
    plan to keep for a long time. I think buying used is risky, you never
    know if it's been dropped, etc. I have considered the 300 and using
    the firmware hack, but I think for an extra $200 it's probably better
    to just get the 350. I like the smaller size of the 350 and the
    lighter weight, but I read a review of the kit lens and it seems the
    lens on the 350 is not as good as the kit lens on the 300. :(

    The lens you mention is $579.95 which is a bit more than I want to
    spend at first. I was planning on getting the 350 with the 50m 1.4
    since I want to do a lot of indoor portraits and after having an
    Olympus C-3040Z I really appreciate a fast lens. I also would like the
    kit lens for the wide angle and then the 28-135mm. These two lenses
    come out to about $700 but that gives me two lenses. I know I want the
    50mm prime, and I figure I can always sell the 28-135mm if I want to
    upgrade to the 70-200mm later.

    -Michael

    Have you seen any specs? I haven't heard of this model or any other
    D70 successor.

    It's prominently featured at www.nikonusa.com

    Tom
    > Have you seen any specs? I haven't heard of this model or any other
    > D70 successor.

    Greetings all,
    How about weight-wise? Which of these two (D50, 350D; or three
    considering the D70), has the lightest weight with the kit lens, can
    account for hand shake (or turbulence), and takes good shots during the
    day and night?

    Would I be better off buying a 'cheap' body and then a lens with image
    stabilization? I know there are gyro-stabilizers for the cameras, but
    I'm not at that level and don't think I'll ever be-this is a hobby, not
    a profession for me. I've looked at the 17-85mm IS lens from Canon and
    can only think how heavy and off-balance it appears to be when attached
    to the Rebel. Is there a lens in the smaller ranges that have IS?

    Thanks for all thoughts and comments.

    Jedi Nein
    *warning* amateur photographer at large

    In article <1116182754.303175.95610@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    "Jedi Nein" <eagle3352@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > Greetings all,
    > How about weight-wise? Which of these two (D50, 350D; or three
    > considering the D70), has the lightest weight with the kit lens, can
    > account for hand shake (or turbulence), and takes good shots during the
    > day and night?
    >
    > Would I be better off buying a 'cheap' body and then a lens with image
    > stabilization? I know there are gyro-stabilizers for the cameras, but
    > I'm not at that level and don't think I'll ever be-this is a hobby, not
    > a profession for me. I've looked at the 17-85mm IS lens from Canon and
    > can only think how heavy and off-balance it appears to be when attached
    > to the Rebel. Is there a lens in the smaller ranges that have IS?
    >
    > Thanks for all thoughts and comments.
    >
    > Jedi Nein
    > *warning* amateur photographer at large

    Neither the Nikon or Canon will give you anti-shake without paying big bucks for an
    IS/VR lens. The Canon IS lenses seem to generally be cheaper than the Nikon VR lenses.

    Another solution is the Minolta Maxxum 7d, which initially costs more than the XT or
    D50/70, but includes anti-shake technology in the body, making all lenses stabilized.
    If you plan on buying several lenses with IS/VR, then the D7 would probably end up
    being the cheapest way to go.

    Bob B.

    With any large lens you shift your grip to the lens and the body is
    essentially an attachment.
    Go with Canon which has at least ten IS lenses and is way ahead of
    everyone else on the technology. You can get Canon IS lenses everything from
    consumer priced versions to extremely high priced professional teles.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    "Jedi Nein" <eagle3352@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Greetings all,
    > How about weight-wise? Which of these two (D50, 350D; or three
    > considering the D70), has the lightest weight with the kit lens, can
    > account for hand shake (or turbulence), and takes good shots during the
    > day and night?
    >
    > Would I be better off buying a 'cheap' body and then a lens with image
    > stabilization? I know there are gyro-stabilizers for the cameras, but
    > I'm not at that level and don't think I'll ever be-this is a hobby, not
    > a profession for me. I've looked at the 17-85mm IS lens from Canon and
    > can only think how heavy and off-balance it appears to be when attached
    > to the Rebel. Is there a lens in the smaller ranges that have IS?
    >
    > Thanks for all thoughts and comments.
    >
    > Jedi Nein
    > *warning* amateur photographer at large

Nikon Photo Canon Cameras