Sign in with
Your question

I7 3930 multi-purpose build, feedback

Last response: in Systems
November 23, 2011 1:28:42 PM

Hi Guys,
I was hoping to get some feedback on my next build, the main purpose for this machine is gaming (w/ fraps, BF3) and movie watching. Besides gaming, I will be running at least one VM for business purposes, doing the odd bit of editing in photoshop, video encoding and running some F@H. I plan on overclocking this CPU along with the GPU's.
I will be purchasing some of the parts in Japan and others in Holland, depending on price. The PC will be used in South Africa, with the high ambient temperatures in mind, I decided to go with a liquid cooled build. This is my first venture into liquid cooling and overclocking so I am preferring the more out-of-the-box solutions.
My bank account has some real money in it for a change so my budget is flexible, however I don't want to be spending silly amounts for a 5% performance increase.
I am hoping the 2011 socket is going to be the new standard going forward so I have decided to base the system around this;

Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Intel i7 3930k
G.Skill F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH (4 x 4GB)
Two, OCZ Vertex 3 60GB VTX3-25SAT3 (RAID 0)
Two, Radeon HD-697A-CNFC (CrossfireX)
Creative X-FI Titanium
EK-FC6970 V2 waterblocks
Thermaltake Level 10 GT LCS (integrated BigWater 850 GT pump(pushes 500l/h with 240mmradiator)
Black Ice GTS140 radiator

I have two 1TB samsung spinpoint F1's that I will be transferring from the old rig for storage purposes (considering RAID 0 for these as well)

A few questions I have right off the bat for you guys, do you see any bottlenecks? Is the onboard SATA controller good enough to RAID these drives or should I consider a dedicated controller?
Are those two radiators enough to keep the system chilled?
Is anything under/over-kill in your opinion?
What PSU would you recommend?

I would have provided detailed links for you but unfortunately much of it is in Japanese, I can find some in English if needed.

Please let me know what you think!
November 23, 2011 3:03:49 PM

Complete waste of money. Get a 2600K or wait for Ivy Bridge.

X79 is predicted to have a shorter life than X58. 2011 will NOT be the new standard, it'll be just like X58, replaced fast by a better, faster and cheaper Ivy Bridge.

The standard for quite a while will be 1155.
November 23, 2011 3:14:11 PM

On a side note, your first venture into water cooling i would suggest going with a closed loop system like corsair, or asus. The setup is almost fool proof, (keeping in mind there is some pretty dense people out there) and you dont have to worry about checking levels and adding water and such.
!