freeman_saf

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
My dad has a computer that's several years old and is having issues with the PSU in the computer. The computer would not turn on and the light on the back of the PSU, which should be solid, was blinking. He brought it up to my place but when I plugged it in it powered up fine, no problems. At this point we thought it was the power strip he was using. When he got home and switched out the power strip he was having the problem again, even with the new strip that I gave him. The same problem happens in other outlets. Everything else plugged in on the strip or the outlet works fine. SO at this point I think the PSU just needs to be replaced, but I have no idea what could be causing this problem. Any ideas?

Solution
It may have some dying capacitors in it. At your place, the mains A/C may be different enough from his (e.g. 122V for you, 110V for him) that it fails there first. You should indeed replace that PSU. A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and some level of 80+ certification for efficiency. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, and Enermax/LEPA are among the better brands.
It may have some dying capacitors in it. At your place, the mains A/C may be different enough from his (e.g. 122V for you, 110V for him) that it fails there first. You should indeed replace that PSU. A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and some level of 80+ certification for efficiency. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, and Enermax/LEPA are among the better brands.

Solution

freeman_saf

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009

That is probably why it worked at my place and not at his. I have a PSU from my old computer that should work in his computer.