PSP Monkey Island boot from Memory Duo

This won't load Monkey Island from the Memory Duo but it will load the
boot screen and then display an error.

http://www.pspcrazy.com/EBOOT.PBP

Just copy to the Games directory and select it from the Games\Memory
Stick menu.
Some people say it will boot up completely with PSP Update 1.6 which
isn't publically available yet. The file is being described as an early
effort by hackers to get games that will run from the Memory Duo. It
looks like Memory Duo games and emulator code will be starting to show
up soon.

jojo@cox.net (MS#1Fanboy-JoJo) wrote in news:YAo2e.62600$le4.25109
@fed1read04:

> LOL!! The little fella is excited just like me.

If you open up the file, it has some thing about Adobe ImageReady...

So it's probably a fake.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote in

> jojo@cox.net (MS#1Fanboy-JoJo) wrote in news:YAo2e.62600$le4.25109
> @fed1read04:
>
>> LOL!! The little fella is excited just like me.
>
> If you open up the file, it has some thing about Adobe ImageReady...
>
> So it's probably a fake.

UPDATING YOUR PSP WITH THE NETWORK UPDATE
v1.0 - January 9th, 2005 by Dan Peori (peori@oopo.net)

----------------
THE INTRODUCTION
----------------

So you find yourself the owner of a shiny new PSP. Probably imported
with only one game, you've become bored and want to see what else it
can do. Poking around in the menus, you come across something called
'Network Update'.

-------------------
THE UPDATELIST FILE
-------------------

Currently, the PSP accesses an update list at this URL:

http://fj01.psp.update.playstation.org/update/jp/psp-updatelist.txt

The contents of this file is currently:

#JP
Dest=00;ImageVersion=
00000000;CDN=http://dj01.psp.update.playstation.org/update/jp/nodata;CDN
_Timeout=30;

These values seem fairly easy to understand with a version number and
URL for a firmware image. As you can see, currently there is no update
available on this site.

Poking around further, we have a possible URL for the US region:

http://fj01.psp.update.playstation.org/update/us/psp-updatelist.txt

The contents of this file is currently:

# Timout(sec) URI(Max 10)
Dest=01;ImageVersion=
0000000A;CDN=http://dj02.psp.update.playstation.org/update/jp/update-
image01;CDN_Timeout=30;

This file also does not exist at the URL given, however you can
download
a dummy file by changing the dj02 to dj01 in the URL.

------------------------
DOWNLOADING THE FIRMWARE
------------------------

Now that the PSP knows where to find the latest update image it will
tell
you to insert a memory stick with enough free space and press the O
button.

You will then be presented with a download screen with a progress bar.
The
PSP is downloading the image to '/PSP/GAME/UPDATE/EBOOT.PBP'. This may
take
a while, so be patient. Don't worry about accidentally ending the
download
halfway through - it is only saving the file, not flashing it yet.

When the download is done, it will ask you if you want to run the
update now
or later. If you choose later, you can access the update the same way
you'd
access a game. In the menu, scroll all the way to the left, but
instead of
UMD select 'Memory Stick'.

Note that this 'GAME' directory is probably how the PSP will be used
to run
downloaded games and other software from the memory stick.

---------------------
UPDATING THE FIRMWARE
---------------------

When you run the freshly-downloaded update image the first thing
you'll be
presented with is a list of changes that the update provides. Next
you'll
be asked to review the updated user agreement. If you accept this
agreement,
then the fun begins...

You will be presented with an update screen with a progress bar. The
PSP is
writing the contents of the update file into its firmware. It is very
important
that you do not interrupt this process as it is possible you may end
up with
an unusuable PSP. Try to use the power adaptor if you can.

After a few minutes, if everything went ok, it will tell you the
update is
complete. Press O to reboot and hopefully you'll see your new and
improved
PSP come to life. Congratulations.

---------------------
UPDATE IMAGE DISECTED
---------------------

As Sony has yet to release an update we do not have much info on the
update
itself yet. However, a possibly-fake update file has shown up on a
geocities
site purported to be grabbed close to launch day possibly before it
was changed
to the dummy file. Here's what we know from that file.

The PSP downloads the update and saves it as EBOOT.PBP. This PBP
format looks
like an ordinary archive, much like a tar file, used to store a
collection of
files. Basically a simple header:

typedef struct {
char signature[4]; // \0PBP
int version; // 0x00010000
int offsets[8]; // Seems to always be 8 files.
} PBP_HEADER;

Next follows the data for each section. Using some guesswork by
looking at normal
savegames the following names are being used, in this order:

"PARAM.SFO", "ICON0.PNG", "ICON1.PMF", "UKNOWN.PNG", "PIC1.PNG",
"SND0.AT3", "UNKNOWN.PSP", "UNKNOWN.PSAR"

I have written a program to unpack this PBP file. It can be downloaded
at:

http://www.oopo.net/consoledev/files/unpack-pbp.c

Here's some commentary by Pixel on what these files may be:

1: A PSF file, looks like directory entries or something, but it's
the same
format as the PARAM.SF0 in the IGN's file.
2: A PNG file displayed by the PSP when this file is selected in the
menu.
3: "PSMF0012", seems to be the same format as the IGN's ICON1.PMF
file.
4: Another PNG file. Its usage is unknown.
5: Another PNG file. Its usages is also unknown.
6: A WAV file, as the IGN's SND0.AT3 file.
7: Aaaaah, now this is interesting. It says in the header "PSP
updater". Ho,
great :) Nothing like this in IGN's. Rest looks compressed or
crypted.
8: PSAR file (AR as in ARchive?), nothing like this in IGN's. Rest
looks
compressed or crypted.

Gorim has written a file for parsing SFO files. It can be downloaded
at:

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=923

Here's the output from running it on the first file:

=====
PlayStation Portable PSF File Data

=====

Filename : ooposbane.sfo
Start of section labels : b4
Start of section data : 11c
Unknown header data : 01 01 00 00
Number of Sections : 10

Sect Loff Doff Dsiz Duse Dtyp Unkn Label Value

=====
0 0000 0000 0004 0004 04 0004 BOOTABLE = 1
1 0009 0004 0004 0003 02 0004 CATEGORY = MG
2 0012 0008 0010 000b 02 0004 DISC_ID = ABCD-00000
3 001a 0018 0008 0005 02 0004 DISC_VERSION = 1.00
4 0027 0020 0040 0001 02 0004 DRIVER_PATH =
5 0033 0060 0004 0003 02 0004 LANGUAGE = JP
6 003c 0064 0004 0004 04 0004 PARENTAL_LEVEL = 1
7 004b 0068 0008 0005 02 0004 PSP_SYSTEM_VER = 1.00
8 005a 0070 0004 0004 04 0004 REGION = 32768
9 0061 0074 0080 000f 02 0004 TITLE = APP00
(balloon)

=====
Loff = Offset of the Label Field within the Label section.
Doff = Offset of the Data Field within the Data section.
Dsiz = Size of the Data Field within the Data section.
Duse = Amount of the Data Field that currently contains data.
Dtyp = The Data Field type. 0 = Binary (?), 4 = Integer Word, 2 =
String.
Unkn = Unknown field usage.

It mainly looks like environment information that's used while another
part of
the update file is running. What do you think? Let us know...

--------------------
CREDITS AND WARNINGS
--------------------

In the quest to discover this information a PSP was disabled. I
flashed my PSP
with the possibly-fake update file. It was accepted as valid and
installed fine,
but when it was finished my PSP decided it doesn't want to do anything
but sit
there and look for something on the memorystick. So, do any flashing
at your own
risk.

Here's a list of people who have contributed to this guide:

ooPo: Sniffing, writing, PSP sacrificing. (sniff)
Pixel: Analysis of the PBP file and decoding of its structure.
gorim: Analysus of the SFO/PSF and decoding of its structure.
Drakonite: Poking and proding of the PBP file, PNG extraction.
GiGaHeRz: Official person of alternate URL discovery.

Here's a list of useful forum threads:

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=908 - PSP Network Update
Tricks
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=923 - Parsing Data in SFO
Files

Don't forget to visit http://www.pspdev.org for all your PSP
development needs!

--

"Lucas Tam" <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote in message
> jojo@cox.net (MS#1Fanboy-JoJo) wrote in news:YAo2e.62600$le4.25109
> @fed1read04:
>
> > LOL!! The little fella is excited just like me.
>
> If you open up the file, it has some thing about Adobe ImageReady...
>
> So it's probably a fake.

Probably nothing. It is definitely a fake. There is no Monkey Island on
the PSP.

"Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> This won't load Monkey Island from the Memory Duo but it will load the
> boot screen and then display an error.

April fool, bilgefake.