How to run vista driver on w7

kd_concepts

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
please i just upgraded my sony VGN-NR21Z from window vista to W7 and my NVIDIA stopped working. I have tried downloading it but it says the driver doesnt support the O.S. but i learnt it can work. please how do i run it in a compatible mode thanks

RealBeast

Titan

If you cannot find a Win 7 driver, you still may be able to get the Vista driver to install by pressing F8 at startup and disabling driver signature enforcement in advanced boot options. If that works, then you can easily enable it without doing that at each startup.

kd_concepts

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

thanks buddy, i have tried that too but it didnt work. after i pressed f8, i saw the disable driver whatever and i pressed enter to choose and it took me directly to normal windows. i tried installing it and it still didnt work. please i seriously need a solution.
i tried it the second time and i discovered that what i disable didnt change. i expected the disable driver bla bla bla to have changed but it didnt. pls help me out. thanks.

winoutreach5

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Hi,

From the looks of it, the Sony Vaio VGN-NR21Z is a European release model that comes equipped with an NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT graphics chip. This particular graphics chip is indeed compatible according to the Windows 7 Compatibility Center. A possible resolution and first step would be to try to manually install the driver directly from the NVIDIA website available here.

You may also want to try to download the driver directly using Windows Update integrated into Windows 7. To learn more about Windows Update and driver downloads, Update a driver for hardware that isn’t working properly is a highly recommended resource. Though this resource does emphasize Windows Vista, its outlined steps are still applicable to Windows 7.

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro