Sign in with
Your question

What is normal temp for i5 2400 when not under stress

Last response: in CPUs
February 24, 2012 7:15:38 PM

some time ago(christmas) i had to replace my mobo, the guy at the comp store put the cpu onto the new mobo, he did not reapply(he left the old stuff on it) the thermal paste cuz he said, with the new gen processors it doesnt matter that much, i have been using it alot since then but i am worried if this will give my cpu a shorter life. will it? what temps(under stress) should be norm
thanks
a c 184 à CPUs
February 24, 2012 7:28:14 PM

Depends on where you live.
Usually well in most cases it will be idle at 20-30C and at full load 50C-60C this really depends on the cooler, and you should reapply thermal paste.
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2012 7:36:55 PM

It also largley depends on what kind of cooling you're using. Max temps will widely vary depending on what the chip is being cooled with.

And using old thermal paste on a CPU will have little to no effect on a CPU, as most you might semm a 1c-2c drop in temps from applying new thermal paste, but it doesn't shorten the life span of it.
Related resources
February 24, 2012 7:47:22 PM

CDdude55 said:
It also largley depends on what kind of cooling you're using. Max temps will widely vary depending on what the chip is being cooled with.

And using old thermal paste on a CPU will have little to no effect on a CPU, as most you might semm a 1c-2c drop in temps from applying new thermal paste, but it doesn't shorten the life span of it.

it has stock colling, does it realy matter if i am not ok,ing it
a c 184 à CPUs
February 24, 2012 8:02:05 PM

Use a program such as HW monitor to monitor your temperatures, what are the temperatures?
a c 188 à CPUs
February 24, 2012 8:44:05 PM

Most people with a 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i5 and the stock HSF (heatsink/fan) processor report idle temperature is the high 30's to low 40's. Under load is a much better measurement and really anything below 75c under a heavy load would be fine. Anything higher and you might want to look for a better cooling solution.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
December 19, 2012 12:48:58 AM

While looking at my temps in hwmonitor im seeing a huge difference between the cpu temperature and the core temps. My cpu temp rarely crosses 50 under load while the core temps can get upwards of 85 degrees. Is this normal?
!