Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 Random USB Failure?

Last response: in Motherboards
December 31, 2012 1:14:07 AM

I've been having a problem where my USB drives fail randomly, without much warning, or recognition from the system. It happens during all conditions, playing games to surfing the web or whatever. The system doesn't recognize that they disconnect and there's no sound played. It occurred once while I was typing this. The problem necessitates a reboot to fix, but the problem reoccurs. They all failure simultaneously, freezing my keyboard and mouse as well as disconnecting my External HDD. Sometimes I can plug the mouse and keyboard into the two front seated USB ports and they'll work for a short time before eventually failing. Sometimes the mouse and keyboard will hang for a few seconds at a time before shutting down completely. It's not a system problem, as games will continue to play and everything goes along like normal. Sometimes, it freezes as if I were continuously holding a key down.

IN any case the problem is spotty and somewhat random. I'm really hoping that this isn't a serious hardware failure.

My build is about 1.5 years old and I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

The problem started last month. I moved the computer from my dorm to home over winter break, and for a while, I thought the problem had gone away, but it came back early this week.

I've tried:
Updating BIOS
Monitoring heat; it doesn't appear to be a problem.
Reseating CMOS
Investigating event viewer.
a c 471 V Motherboard
December 31, 2012 1:39:37 AM

Sometime it will happen when you move the PC from one place to other, because the hardware are loose. Open up your PC case to check it out.
m
l
December 31, 2012 1:55:08 AM

What should I check for? I've opened it up and readjusted things several times since this problem began, initially to do some cable management and fan dusting.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 3, 2013 12:40:45 AM

did u check to enable USB legacy support in bios?
m
l
May 22, 2013 3:52:57 AM

I'm having the smae type of issues. I have an ASUS P8H67-V (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS.

I've checked for viruses, exclamation marks in device manager, etc. and nothing.

The only things I can think of are loose connection or dying motherboard. Am I missing anything?
m
l
a c 164 V Motherboard
May 22, 2013 9:47:52 AM

Download the newer up-to-date drivers from the MB's web page and load them. That cleared up my USB problems.
m
l
!