Problems with windows explorer

I have windows xp edition sp1, but lately when I *right click* on a file to
delete it, rename it, or want to send it to a cd to burn, actually doesn't
matter, anything I right click, I at times get an error message now that
windows explorer has encountered an error and they are sorry if I was in
the middle of something (ha ha well of course I was) and that windows
explorer will now close. I then lose pestpatrol and perhaps adware watch
from my systray... to get them back I have to reboot.... but I want to know
why I am getting that damn error all the time.... as it is now I can't do
many functions other than going to edit or using the choices on the left in
xp view... but I would like my regular old right click and do what I want
to do back..... can't scan a certain file in that manner now either. Any
fixes for this?

Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about problems windows explorer

    Hi KMO,

    This type of behavior is often caused by a bad context-menu handler. Here is
    a neat way to track it down. Download ShellExView from the following site:
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/shellexview.html and run it. It will scan the
    registry for all the shell extensions. Once the scan is over and the list is
    displayed, you need to spot the context menu handlers. Sort the results
    using "Type", so that the context menu handlers are displayed together.

    General rule here is to disable non-Microsoft context menu handlers
    *one-by-one* and verify if the problem is solved. If disabling one does not
    solve the problem, undo the disabled item and disable the next non-Microsoft
    handler. Do the same until the problem is solved and finally identify the
    culprit. Scroll right to see the Company Name column in ShellExView
    More Information on this: http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/slowrightclick.htm

    References / Additional reading:

    Windows XP: Right click and delete opens the file:
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_21083515.html

    Windows XP: delete dialog takes a while to show:
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_21082854.html

    Windows XP: Windows XP Pro has Explorer error, memory could not be "Read":
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_21074450.html

    Windows XP: Properties option on all Windows Context Menus:
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_21067818.html

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Window XP Shell/User

    "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in

    > Hi KMO,
    >
    > This type of behavior is often caused by a bad context-menu handler.
    > Here is a neat way to track it down. Download ShellExView from the
    > following site: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/shellexview.html and run
    > it. It will scan the registry for all the shell extensions. Once the
    > scan is over and the list is displayed, you need to spot the context
    > menu handlers. Sort the results using "Type", so that the context menu
    > handlers are displayed together.

    Thank you. I am sure this will take a little time since it does this
    sporadically.... I remember reading something about this here the other
    day as well but didn't know if that pertained to my issue. I will surely
    print this out and get to work on it, thank you Ramesh.. This group has
    been great so far for helping with problems. Also helped when I couldn't
    use my .jpg files for wallpaper to find out that somehow my active
    desktop wasn't anymore.

    You're most welcome KMO. Glad to be of assitance!

    --

    "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in

    > Hi KMO,
    >
    > This type of behavior is often caused by a bad context-menu handler.
    > Here is a neat way to track it down. Download ShellExView from the
    > following site: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/shellexview.html and run
    > it. It will scan the registry for all the shell extensions. Once the
    > scan is over and the list is displayed, you need to spot the context
    > menu handlers. Sort the results using "Type", so that the context menu
    > handlers are displayed together.

    Thank you. I am sure this will take a little time since it does this
    sporadically.... I remember reading something about this here the other
    day as well but didn't know if that pertained to my issue. I will surely
    print this out and get to work on it, thank you Ramesh.. This group has
    been great so far for helping with problems. Also helped when I couldn't
    use my .jpg files for wallpaper to find out that somehow my active
    desktop wasn't anymore.

Configuration Windows Explorer Windows XP