Solved

Can I please get some Sandy bridge vs bulldozer metrics, please

<rage>

All I really want is to see some single threaded benchmarks of Sandy Bridge vs Bulldozer, but God forbid I just google fx8150 vs 2600k! All that comes up is stupid *** like "Hur hur, good ting i dnt buy crapdozer, hur hur. sandy briudge beauts it, hur hr" Can someone please direct me to where I can find a good single threaded bypartisan benchmark?? I want to simply compare per core performance. I'm sorry I'm coming in here pissed off, but I've already tried on other forums, and people weren't helpful at all. Pretty much all the responses were "Who cares? Sandy bridge pwns it." or " why do you want to know?" Look, tool. I just want to know. I understand ahead of time that sandy bridge wins. I want to know by how much, please...

</rage>

Anyways, thanks ahead of time for the help.
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about sandy bridge bulldozer metrics please
  1. Take a look at Anandtech's review:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4955/the-bulldozer-review-amd-fx8150-tested

You might also consider this article, after the recent Bulldozer-related patch to windows.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5448/the-bulldozer-scheduling-patch-tested
  2. Best answer
  3. Are you looking for gaming benchies or productivity benchies?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-apu-benchmark,3120-10.html

In games there is a roughly 33% improvement in Avg FPS performance between the 2500K over the 8150...

Even the dual core non hyperthreaded SB 'Pentium' chip beats it...

The 8150 does handle productivity better than games... but still not like the 2500K

I was disappointed when I saw the first benchies from bulldozer... I wanted them to be competitive, but they are, well, disappointing...
  4. Single threaded, even a pentium sb will beat it.
  5. BTW in real world usage - for such high end CPU's - you really won't notice much of a difference between a Core i5 and an 8150 (unless benchmarks are your type of thing).

Where the 8150 really shines is media encoding, encryption, and certain games, plus it over clocks great (the i5 OC's well too).

By the way the links davcon and feldii gave are excellent.

It's not that the 8150/zembezi architecture is slow, it's just that it was hyped up to be much more than what it was. The IPC of the 8150 compared to the I5 2500 is much lower.

To me - the 8150 is somewhat like the Cell processor in the PS3. It can be powerful, but you need proper programming to make use of it. Most software right now doesn't take advantage of more than 2 cores, unless it's a modern game, or something like Autocad or some other 3D design program.

However, supposedly Windows 8 will supposedly give a much better thread ordering service than windows 7 which is supposed to boost the Zembezi architecture.
  6. Bulldozer architecture is like 6 years early, i don't see the point, why did they release it now?
    In 6 years, with more processing power it will be awesome..but not now..
  7. The biggest problem I see with bulldozer is you can beat the performance of the best AMD chip with a $100 SB alternative. Then you would still have an upgrade path on the CPU at a later date to a 2400, 2500K or 2600K.

If you get the best bulldozer you get worse performance than a $100 CPU and you have no way to make it better...
  8. Don't forget ivybridge^^
  9. Thank you for the helpful responses.
  10. Best answer selected by ashinms.
  11. davcon said:

Thanks, man. Actually, looking at those benchmarks, it seems the difference isn't quite as abissmal as people are suggesting. A fifty percent lag could be completely within the realm of an overclock, assuming you're like me and power consumption isn't part of your equation.
  12. ashinms said:
    Thanks, man. Actually, looking at those benchmarks, it seems the difference isn't quite as abissmal as people are suggesting. A fifty percent lag could be completely within the realm of an overclock, assuming you're like me and power consumption isn't part of your equation.

Yeah... but an i5 2500K can also be OCed.
  13. Speaking to a professional overclocker asking whether the Bulldozers is a great overclocker is just a missnomer, the general understanding is that retail chips don't overclock as well as the non-retail chips which tend to hit 6ghz up on air and better on closed system waterloop coolers. In general retail chips are 4.3-4.7 depending on the individual chip, with that said a 2500K/2600K can on some chips and motherboards hit 4.9/5ghz stable which is a big overclock bin of 1.5ghz odd. The Bulldozers from this persons perspective hit instability as early as 4.3/4.4ghz with the already high TPD's, with 4.6ghz being the best done on a retail FX 8150 before complete failure. the bin is barely 700/800mhz.

If overclocking is your thing, there is still no reason to buy a bulldozer if you want value for money.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Sandy Bridge Bulldozer