Suggestions on two motherboards

Looking for suggestions on two Asus motherboards below for an upgrade, have these two in mind: Need opinions on the 2 below

Crosshair V Formula-Z & SABERTOOTH 990FX R2 (Leaning more towards the Sabertooth since I am not too savvy with OC)

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATEe.g.: Next Month, BUDGET RANGEe.g.: USD $150-250)Before / After Rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming MAINLY BLACK OPS

CURRENT GPU : ATI Radeon HD 4250
Being replaced by EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5

CURRENT POWER SUPPLY: THERMALTAKE TT-450NL2NK (450W) PSU
Being Replaced by Thermaltake Toughpower Grand TPG-850M 850W

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: M4A88T-M MOTHERBOARD AND PHENOM II X6 1055T CPU THUBAN 2.8GHZ
16GB KINGSTON HYPER X Blu Ram DDR3 1600

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.com, Amazon, EBay, COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA Centereach, NY

MONITOR RESOLUTION 1920x1080)
8 answers Last reply
More about suggestions motherboards
  1. Why don't you switch to Intel since you;re going GTX 680? The 1055T will be a bottleneck in some situations.

EDIT: 850W is an overkill too, and in the price range of the toughpower there are better PSUs.
  2. Already purchased the Toughpower, sweet deal from newegg after rebates cost only $120. I am pushing my limit now since Ive already purchased the GPU as well. Was thinking of upgrading to an FX much later on.
  3. Both the FX and Pheonms are bottlenecking in some cases.

Both MOBOs are overkill, you won't do a 3-way or 4-way SLI to pick any of them.
    So I'd suggest something in budget like the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 or similar if you like just Asus boards.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514&Tpk=Gigabyte%20990FX-UD3
  4. so basically the other 2 boards are mainly if I want to use 3/4 GPU's which you are correct I wont if anything I would probaly go 2 if at all. Would that be the same criteria for the UD5 & 7 on the gigabyte board? Thanks for your input, I will look at the gigabyte 990FXA-UD3.
  5. Yes that's it, boards with premium are for extra features, like dual LANS, multiple USB 3.0 ports, Quad PCIE 2.0 or 3.0 and so on.

One more time, If I were you I'd switch to Intel right now because your FPS will be limited in specific games due to a CPU bottleneck, to help you understand look at the following;
    Phenom II x6 1100T isn't able to hit 60 FPS, losing 17 FPS compared to the i5 3470
  6. Ok I see what you mean, so that would definitely make it more expensive, would have to save for the Intel CPu and Motherboard. What would you recommend?
  7. Core i5 3570K + ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    $220+$135 and I believe there's a Combo discount by $20.

If you don't have the budget right now, save and upgrade later.
  8. Thanks, will definitely keep it in mind. Again appreciate your time an effort.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Motherboards Product