Random pc crashes, not starting back up.

Ziidar

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Hey, lately I have been having problems with my pc. Randomly my pc will freeze, everything stops responding apart from my task bar, if I start clicking icons on my task bar that eventually freezes too leading to a BSOD or until I just have to turn it off. Then while loading, sometimes it starts back up normally but most of the time it gets stuck on the boot menu and I have the occasional "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device" or "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart"

Here are my pc specs.

Intel i5-760 Core Quad Core 2.80GHz
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB
ASRock H55M Pro Motherboard
4GB Ram
Windows 7 64bit

Anyone have an idea of what could be causing the problem?

What is the brand and model, not just wattage, of your PSU?
You could have a failing hard drive in general, or a corrupt swap file in particular; the issues when booting suggest the drive as a whole may have opted for early retirement. If you don't have them, make backups (if you can).

+1 for failing hard drive. Goto device manager and find the model/manufacturer of the drive. download a diagnostic tool from the disk manufacturer and see if it says anything interesting. Win7 has build in backup to USB external drive. Programs like 'acronis true image' do a great job and have trial versions (and work well enough i actually bought a copy).

Also, downlaod a USB bootable diagnostic (liek the one from cosair). See if that finds anything.

good luck.