USB Ports Randomly Freeze

headlesszombie

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Hey guys :)

So for about 6 months I have been using a gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H mobo and besides this one problem everything has worked really well with it and I'm really impressed for the price I paid.

However, I have been recently having very random usb problems. What seems to happen is 4 of the 6 USB 3.0 ports on the motherboard (the other 2 front headers always work but I don't use them) freeze up occasionally, and it ends up leading to a full system freeze that requires a reboot.

I read that my board actually has two different types of usb ports, Intel and VIA. I checked my device manager and made sure they all had the latests drivers installed. Still having problems, and becoming frustrated. It even led to a blue screen (first one in almost a year) the other day which has me worried this is doing long-term damage. Ran prime95 and occt tests with no issues. The devices I have plugged into the ports are two from my razer black widow ultimate, one from my steelseries sensei, and one from my wireless adaptor (Tl-WN722N).

Any ideas guys ? I read someone else on the internets had a similar problem (http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/49067-gigabyte-z77-ud3h-random-freezes.html) so is this maybe a known issue ? Any solutions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

other specs:
-intel 3750K Oc'd to 4.2ghz (stock voltage)
-sapphire 7870 (not usually oc'd only if I play intense games)
-8gb Ripjaws
-intel 120gb ssd

Oh one more thing I noticed is it almost never freezes while I am gaming, only when surfing or browsing etc.

Thanks!

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4153#bios
make sure your mb running the newest bios. one issue with usb is people tend to plug in a lot of devices. sometime they can pull more power then the usb chipset can give out and cause the mb to lock up. another issue can be that the os or mb is trying to power down the usb ports and the system hangs. i would make sure in the bios and in windows turn off power savings for the usb ports.