Will pc with 400 wattage run a 500 wattage graphics card

helpmeplease1

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
I want to play the new Skyrim soon and want to know whether my 400 watt pcu will be enough to run with my new 500 watt graphics card

Chirag Borawake

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
What type of question is that?
If your graphics card needs to be mounted in a cpu of minimum 500 watt, then how can it run on a 400 watt PSU?
You can buy an entry level graphx card for that game, which can be power efficient enough to fit in that wattage..!!

helpmeplease1

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

I'm looking to buy an XFX radeon 6870

My specs are as follows
A standard dell inspiron 530 with a replaced PSU
OS - Windows vista home premium
CPU - Core2Duo E7200 with two cores running at 2.53Ghz
RAM - 2GBs DDR2 800mhz
Audio - Built in real-tek high def audio
HDD - Seagate 7200rpm 320GB
DVD/RW - Opti arc DVD+-RW 7200 ATA

if your psu came with no brands and in a dell case, odds are it is garbage and wont run the card for a 500w psu. Im not trying to be mean, but thats the truth of the matter.

there ARE 400w PSU's that can handle well over because of the high quality of the components

beenthere

Distinguished
Below is how you figure out all the parameters for the PSU and graphics card.

As far as PSUs are concerned, be informed. Before you buy any PSU read accurate, objective PSU reviews at reputable sites such as www.jonnyguru.com or www.hardwaresecrets.com on the EXACT model PSU that you are interested in as some brands have good and poor quality PSUs.

You can also get an accurate rating of how much PSU power is required for your current or future system at the PSU calculator link below. Once you know the total PSU watts required then you need to confirm that the 12v rail has enough amps. to support your Vid card(s) and the rest of the PC system.

There are several websites that show the Vid card power consumption in watts. Divide the watts by 12 to determine the amps. required on the 12v rail(s). Add 15 amps for the rest of the PC on the 12v rail and you now know the Minimum total 12v rail amps required under full load. It's best to have at least 5-10 amps. reserve on the 12v rail available under full load so the PSU is not loaded to 100%.

It's also worth noting that people often misunderstand the 80% power rating. This is a rating of the PSU's energy efficiency not it's output. 80% plus PSUs use less grid power to produce the same PC power. If it's 80% Bronze, Silver or Gold the cost savings on electricity is pretty small between Bronze, Silver and Gold unless you are paying very high rates for electricity so any 80% rated quality PSU is fine even if not Gold. For those who leave their PC on 24/7 a quality 80% PSU is a good investment.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-560-ti-sli-review/14

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_560_Ti/25.html

helpmeplease1

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

The power usage for the card is 247 watts. http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2010/10/22/ati-radeon-hd-6870-review/9

247w/12
= 20.5a + 15
= 35.5a + 5
= 40.5a

My current PSU only has 20a on the 12v rail so does this mean that I have to upgrade it to one with 40a+.

Here is a link to my PSU
http://shop.aktiscomputing.co.uk/colors-it-400w-gold-pfc-psu-low-noise-83-p.asp

Oooh, that looks like a PSU-shaped object. I would not even think about trying to power a HD6870 with it.
A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and some level of 80+ certification for efficiency. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, and Enermax/LEPA are among the better brands. Across the pond, I think you can also get FSP, many of which are good. Coolermaster, if available, is generally only a notch or so above junk; HardwareSecrets has failed many of them, as has HardOCP.

First of all, note that everything will count when checking your PSU. From the power button to the graphics card.
Many people "assume" information foundon websites saying things like: "For this card you need a 500W supply" and then they dont even state what are the rest of the componenets they are expecting you to have inside your pc.

Generally, every single part has its own requirements in: Wats, Amps and Volts.
And most of those devices have a very clear information that says:
At peak XXX Wats at X Amps with X volts.
At constant work XXX wats at X amps with X volts.

You can then calculate yourself if you will have enought for each thing you want.
Now, remmber that reputable brands are the only ones that you can "somehow" trust on the specifications, and no-name brands are a total waste of money and a potential danger to your computer.

Finally, make sure you get a PSU with a little bit of headroom. This is done for 3 reasons:

A)Possible capacitator agging
B)Efficiency factor at 100% Load is quite bad and breaks sooner.
C)The noice at full load is normally quite disturbing.

For all the reasons i mentioned above, Most people get 800W+ good brand PSU if they dont even need a real 500W. This way you dont worry about calculataing each time you want to overclock, add a new hdd, etc.

Finally, if your PSU is multi-rail, make sure you calculate each rail separatly, and dont overcharge 1 rail (best way is to split everything equaly on the rails that have the same voltage.

OMG. :ouch:

Do not even think of using that psu. I would not sue that psu to power my usb coffee warmer. That psu probably doesn't even put out 300w.

Absolute complete fire hazard. Probably already stretched to its maximum limits without a video card.

First of all, note that everything will count when checking your PSU. From the power button to the graphics card.
Many people "assume" information foundon websites saying things like: "For this card you need a 500W supply" and then they dont even state what are the rest of the componenets they are expecting you to have inside your pc.

Generally, every single part has its own requirements in: Wats, Amps and Volts.
And most of those devices have a very clear information that says:
At peak XXX Wats at X Amps with X volts.
At constant work XXX wats at X amps with X volts.

You can then calculate yourself if you will have enought for each thing you want.
Now, remmber that reputable brands are the only ones that you can "somehow" trust on the specifications, and no-name brands are a total waste of money and a potential danger to your computer.

Finally, make sure you get a PSU with a little bit of headroom. This is done for 3 reasons:

A)Possible capacitator agging
B)Efficiency factor at 100% Load is quite bad and breaks sooner.
C)The noice at full load is normally quite disturbing.

For all the reasons i mentioned above, Most people get 800W+ good brand PSU if they dont even need a real 500W. This way you dont worry about calculataing each time you want to overclock, add a new hdd, etc.

Finally, if your PSU is multi-rail, make sure you calculate each rail separatly, and dont overcharge 1 rail (best way is to split everything equaly on the rails that have the same voltage.

ram1009

Distinguished

FYI, I do this sort of thing for a living. I've about had enough of preaching about stressing power supplies. All you corner cutters out there can do so without chastising from me.

beenthere

Distinguished

YES See why it's important to check everything out?

GPU vendors recommend essentially oversized PSUs for their cards in the futile attempt to compensate for all the junk PSUs out there that are barely good for 60%-75% of what is on their label, particularly under realistic conditions (e.g. at 35C-40C, such as the temps inside a working PC, rather than a ridiculously low 25C).
If you go here: http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=264 you will see that, running flat out, a HD6870 uses about 155W (the 247W you linked was for the entire system, and looked a little low to me).
Clearly, a QUALITY 400W PSU would be enough, although I think 450W-500W would provide a much more comfortable margin, and would be a lot more efficient.

I concur

Read the posts below yours and go lick your wounds somewhere else. This community isn't made up of a bunch of kids that play Xbox, we all are enthusiasts in building and such and have real world knowledge about these types of things. I've seen quality psu's of lower ratings power cards just fine as well as crap ones with boasted headroom fail

psyxix

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

I second that ! It's MADNESS.... no THIIIISSSS IIISSS TOMS hardware!! Wow it sounded way better in my mind =3

Thanks for that support. Getting attacked somewhat lately ( bad Karma probably ), so this is nice for a change. Same here ; FlintIronStagg made the initial statement of the good psu etc, i only backed that up, who gets the reply ; the weird Dutch alien. :kaola: :lol:

That's because people think im some crazy ass chainsaw wielding lumberjack. I think the name gives off that vibe