Sign in with
Your question

6 screens, 2 graphics cards. Only 1 recognized by system.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 27, 2011 11:56:55 AM

Hi all,
I'm trying to set up a computer with 6 screens. Its for non-gaming purposes. All 6 screens need to be on the same system.

Both graphics cards are PNY
One PNY card supports 2 monitors: PNY NVS 285 (PCIe X16)

The other PNY card supports 4 monitors: PNY NVS 300 (PCIe X1)

The problem I'm having is that no matter what I try the computer will only recognize one of the two graphics cards. Device manager shows that both are installed with driver issues.

I've also tried switching the operating system from 7 to XP. I have also tried using a different motherboard.

I am not that experienced with hardware. I was under the impression that having a motherboard that supports crossfire/sli and the same brand of graphics card should have done the trick. Simply a question of installing both cards.

Am I missing something here? Thanks in advance for any help

a b U Graphics card
September 27, 2011 12:26:03 PM

but why are you using different models
September 27, 2011 12:42:39 PM

If you want multi-monitor support with multiple cards it is advisable to use the same model of cards.(Although it is not absolutely necessary) and you download and install the drivers for the card from NVidia for best results.
Related resources
September 27, 2011 1:27:37 PM

pro-gamer said:
but why are you using different models

Because I already had the card that supported 2 screens and bought the same brand (but not model) for another 4 screens. I guess i'll have to buy another 4 screen card.

There is another system in our office that uses 2 matrox cards but they're both different models. That set up works just fine to run 6 screens. We already had spare PNY cards laying around thats why we tried to use those first.

Thanks for your help guys.

September 27, 2011 3:03:11 PM

shabaa said:
If you want multi-monitor support with multiple cards it is advisable to use the same model of cards.(Although it is not absolutely necessary) and you download and install the drivers for the card from NVidia for best results.

Drivers for both cards were the latest versions from nVidia.
a b U Graphics card
September 27, 2011 4:24:40 PM

You downloaded the quadro drivers? Latest one is 275.89 not the same as the gtx285 driver (280.26)!
September 28, 2011 5:47:36 PM

hi all,

I made a mistake in my initial post...i was under the impression that both the cards we had were PCIe. In fact, one card is an old PCI card.
Am I right to guess that you cant really mix and match PCIe and PCI cards?
Sorry if this sounds too noobish.
!