Should I build...now? Or should I wait?

Hey guys.

I've got a budget of $1700 to spend on a completely new rig. Problem is this: should I actually be building now? On one hand I'll be able to get lots of parts at a pretty good discount due to the sales, but on the other hand; the 7000 series of ATI GPUs are supposedly right around the corner, along with Ivy Bridge's debut in March and Windows 8 possibly same time next year (which probably entails Direct X 12...which means a new line of GPUS).

Help! I've been playing on consoles for the past 3 years and I can't take it anymore!
3 answers Last reply
More about should build wait
  1. IMO... Get everything cheap while you can, however you can wait out for the GPU (but it sucks waiting).

Some places are selling the i5-2500K for $150; that's a hell of a deal! This processor should do everything you need it to do for the next 4-5+ years. For all we know, Ivy Bridge may take a sudden turn can could be completely worthless (which it probably wouldn't, but then again... if you have something that performs just as well at a much more affordable price, why not go with that instead right?).
  2. the new 7xxx series will be coming out in either december or early Jan I would posssibly wait for them unless you need the rig now
  3. toneekay said:
    IMO... Get everything cheap while you can, however you can wait out for the GPU (but it sucks waiting).

Some places are selling the i5-2500K for $150; that's a hell of a deal! This processor should do everything you need it to do for the next 4-5+ years. For all we know, Ivy Bridge may take a sudden turn can could be completely worthless (which it probably wouldn't, but then again... if you have something that performs just as well at a much more affordable price, why not go with that instead right?).

True. But I'm really worried about Direct X 12. I'm currently thinking of getting two 6950s (2GB, hope this hopefully plays Battlefield 3 at Ultra 60fps+) and then over-clocking a 2500k. I'd just hate the GPUs to get trashed by whatever Dx12 throws at us.

Do you think it would be best if I got a single GTX 580 instead? I really want to run Battlefield 3 on Ultra by the way, I'm not too sure a single GTX 580 can do this ATM and I can't quite afford two in SLI at the moment...

Regarding the 7xxx, will ATI be releasing the higher end cards in January?
Ask a new question

Read More

Build GPUs Systems