Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Should I build...now? Or should I wait?

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 24, 2011 12:47:01 AM

Hey guys.

I've got a budget of $1700 to spend on a completely new rig. Problem is this: should I actually be building now? On one hand I'll be able to get lots of parts at a pretty good discount due to the sales, but on the other hand; the 7000 series of ATI GPUs are supposedly right around the corner, along with Ivy Bridge's debut in March and Windows 8 possibly same time next year (which probably entails Direct X 12...which means a new line of GPUS).

Help! I've been playing on consoles for the past 3 years and I can't take it anymore!

More about : build wait

November 24, 2011 12:54:09 AM

IMO... Get everything cheap while you can, however you can wait out for the GPU (but it sucks waiting).

Some places are selling the i5-2500K for $150; that's a hell of a deal! This processor should do everything you need it to do for the next 4-5+ years. For all we know, Ivy Bridge may take a sudden turn can could be completely worthless (which it probably wouldn't, but then again... if you have something that performs just as well at a much more affordable price, why not go with that instead right?).
m
0
l
November 24, 2011 12:58:10 AM

the new 7xxx series will be coming out in either december or early Jan I would posssibly wait for them unless you need the rig now
m
0
l
November 24, 2011 1:02:06 AM

toneekay said:
IMO... Get everything cheap while you can, however you can wait out for the GPU (but it sucks waiting).

Some places are selling the i5-2500K for $150; that's a hell of a deal! This processor should do everything you need it to do for the next 4-5+ years. For all we know, Ivy Bridge may take a sudden turn can could be completely worthless (which it probably wouldn't, but then again... if you have something that performs just as well at a much more affordable price, why not go with that instead right?).

True. But I'm really worried about Direct X 12. I'm currently thinking of getting two 6950s (2GB, hope this hopefully plays Battlefield 3 at Ultra 60fps+) and then over-clocking a 2500k. I'd just hate the GPUs to get trashed by whatever Dx12 throws at us.

Do you think it would be best if I got a single GTX 580 instead? I really want to run Battlefield 3 on Ultra by the way, I'm not too sure a single GTX 580 can do this ATM and I can't quite afford two in SLI at the moment...

Regarding the 7xxx, will ATI be releasing the higher end cards in January?
m
0
l
!