Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is this a good set-up?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
November 24, 2011 1:14:25 AM

The motherboard is an ASUS p760 for mid tower ATX cases. The socket is 1366. I will get the i7 920. Do you think they will sell it at a lower price in black friday at best buy?

-Standard DDR3 RAM. 4-8GB ~$50
-400 watt psu. ~$30
-Graphics card. Nvidia Geforce 210. ~$30
-Intel core i7 920. ~$260 maybe lower on black friday.
-Case: mid tower ATX. ~$20-30
-Internal 250GB hard drive. Western digital WD2500JB 7200 rpm. ~$52
-Windows 7 home premium SP1 64bit. ~$100. Do I need one? Or can I use my win7 professional 32bit one from a 2 years ago.
-3 fans.
If I forgot any other components please tell me

Is there anything I can save on like the graphics card? All of this equals over 600 dollars. So is there anything I can change so I can lower the
price? All I play is FSX but I think I might want to play X-Plane or Crysis.

More about : good set

a b B Homebuilt system
November 24, 2011 1:49:13 AM

Do you already have the motherboard? If not, I'd not go for a socket LGA 1366 at this juncture. If you want to play Crysis you'll need a little more CPU (2500k?) and a lot more GPU (you can't buy too much of this)
m
0
l
November 24, 2011 2:09:02 AM

cuecuemore said:
Do you already have the motherboard? If not, I'd not go for a socket LGA 1366 at this juncture. If you want to play Crysis you'll need a little more CPU (2500k?) and a lot more GPU (you can't buy too much of this)

Yeah I got the motherboard already.

I don't really want to play crysis. I'll play FSX, X-plane, COD, and battlefield if my system can handle it. but mostly fsx.

Is there a way I can save more money without sacrificing much preformance?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 24, 2011 2:24:21 AM

Two recommendations:
1) Shop online - not at best buy.
2) Get Win7 64-bit. You won't be able to use over 4GB RAM with Win7 32-bit and even 4GB setups usually work out to only around 3.5GB. Also I'm pretty sure you won't be able to re-use an old copy.
m
0
l
November 24, 2011 2:39:06 AM

danraies said:
Two recommendations:
1) Shop online - not at best buy.
2) Get Win7 64-bit. You won't be able to use over 4GB RAM with Win7 32-bit and even 4GB setups usually work out to only around 3.5GB. Also I'm pretty sure you won't be able to re-use an old copy.


Thanks. That solved a question that I have been thinking about for a long time.
Crucial said my limit was 4GB of RAM and I was like what.

So where can I get the best deal on an i7? Does newegg or amazon have black friday sales for that?

EDIT: Are used processors good?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 24, 2011 2:45:42 AM

I honestly don't know where to find a deal on an LGA1366 chip. I'm sure the deals are around because it's an older socket, but I haven't really been looking out for them.

I guess I mis-spoke a little. There's nothing wrong with Best Buy except that they almost always overcharge by quite a bit (even including shipping). If the best deal you can find is at Best Buy then that's great, but make sure you shop around because it will usually be somewhere else. Newegg, microcenter, and tigerdirect are all good choices. ncix is good if you're in canada.

Also, one thing I forgot to mention is that you might need a DVD drive. You don't need to pay more than $20 for one, though.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 24, 2011 2:49:39 AM

creative_name said:
EDIT: Are used processors good?


If I were on a super tight budget I might try a refurbished cpu, but there's so much risk involved with used processors. If one pin gets bent or one piece gets loose or there's one scratch in the wrong place it's over. I'm alright with several used parts, but I'm not willing to trust a previous owner with the processor.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 24, 2011 3:36:06 AM

I googled your board. Didn't come up with anything. What's a p760? Doesn't even sound like a x58 board.
m
0
l
November 24, 2011 4:24:10 AM

calguyhunk said:
I googled your board. Didn't come up with anything. What's a p760? Doesn't even sound like a x58 board.

I know it had a p and 6 in it
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 24, 2011 4:29:32 AM

It's probably a Socket 1155 P67 board. Check out the box. It should also be on the board itself in fairly legible font and size. So do check that out.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 24, 2011 4:37:07 AM

Yeah, if it's LGA 1155 then you're in much better shape. To be safe post the full name of the motherboard.

If it is LGA 1155 then you're almost certainly going to want the i5-2500(K). The sockets are not cross compatible, though, so make sure know which one it is.
m
0
l
November 24, 2011 3:27:50 PM

danraies said:
Yeah, if it's LGA 1155 then you're in much better shape. To be safe post the full name of the motherboard.

If it is LGA 1155 then you're almost certainly going to want the i5-2500(K). The sockets are not cross compatible, though, so make sure know which one it is.

I know for sure the socket is LGA1366. And the brand is ASUS. I forgot the name of the motherboard but I also know that it will fit in mid tower ATX cases.

Ill be getting an i7 960
m
0
l
November 24, 2011 3:31:06 PM

danraies said:
Yeah, if it's LGA 1155 then you're in much better shape. To be safe post the full name of the motherboard.

If it is LGA 1155 then you're almost certainly going to want the i5-2500(K). The sockets are not cross compatible, though, so make sure know which one it is.

I found the name

Asus P6t.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1366/P6T/
m
0
l
November 24, 2011 3:56:46 PM

Any chance you can return the mobo and go for 1155?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 24, 2011 4:11:13 PM

I hope you didn't buy that new.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 24, 2011 8:07:58 PM

There's nothing wrong with socket 1366 in terms of performance except that they're overpriced compared to the socket 1155 cpu's/boards. An i5-2600K ($310) on a $125 Z68 motherboard will have considerably higher performance than the i7-920 ($260) on that board which newegg lists at $280.

Also there will likely be no new processors with socket 1366, so if you upgrade your processor you'll almost certainly need a new motherboard.

If you can return your board for a socket 1155 then you probably should do that, but if you're going to be using the i7-920 then that's not the worst thing in the world - you just overpayed a little.
m
0
l
November 25, 2011 12:44:40 AM

danraies said:
There's nothing wrong with socket 1366 in terms of performance except that they're overpriced compared to the socket 1155 cpu's/boards. An i5-2600K ($310) on a $125 Z68 motherboard will have considerably higher performance than the i7-920 ($260) on that board which newegg lists at $280.

Also there will likely be no new processors with socket 1366, so if you upgrade your processor you'll almost certainly need a new motherboard.

If you can return your board for a socket 1155 then you probably should do that, but if you're going to be using the i7-920 then that's not the worst thing in the world - you just overpayed a little.


Actually the motherboard was free. I'll be upgrading the graphics card and power supply along the way.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 25, 2011 1:19:32 AM

Oh, yeah, it's hard to beat free.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 25, 2011 1:46:55 PM

i7-950/60 + P6T + 6/12GB + GTX570/580 is still gonna make a great (and I mean GREAT) gaming PC.

X58/1366 has more PCIe bandwidth (36 lanes) than 1155/P67/Z68. So even as the 2500/2600 clocks higher, X58/1366 can do 16/8/8 SLI. It has more PCI bandwidth more Memory bandwidth, more cores (Plus for 3D Animation, Video Editing, Audio/Video Encoding or Decoding, Vm's, Etc.). The only problem is, Mhz per Mhz, SB is faster and it also clocks higher.
m
0
l
!