Will I run into bios problems ?? I am using prebuilt MOBO

fuggles

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
So I am buying a pre built mobo with cpu, heatsink and ram, tested, off ebay.

I plan to do a clean install of windows 64 bit too.

I plan to replace my old motherboard with the new one.

Will I run into any problems doing this ??

My PSU is up for it btw.

Will I run into bios problems or not ??

I am pentium 4 intel. The mobo and processor I am getting is Biostar N68S3 and amd 640.

By the way how do I install windows 7, do I just start my pc with the disk in ?? Thats how I did it for XP

You shouldn't run into BIOS problems - it's built into the motherboard and really can't be messed up by swapping out components. I think the problem you're referring to is when you replace a motherboard WITHOUT doing a clean install of Windows. If you do that, you'll likely have all kinds of problems from driver conflicts, because the drivers from the old motherboard will still be there on the hard drive, and it's pretty close to impossible to untangle.

Anyway, if you have mobo, CPU and RAM all at once, you're basically replacing the whole guts of the machine except the hard drive, video card (if any) and power supply. A lot of Pentium 4 machines use the old IDE/PATA type hard drives, which uses a completely different connector from the current SATA standard ... but your new motherboard looks like it's one of the ones that has both types of connectors, so you're in business. Video card may be another matter depending on what kind you have, but at least this new board has onboard video so you'll be able to get display one way or another.

To install Windows, yes, start the PC with the disc in - but before it boots, you'll probably have to hit F2 or del or whatever key triggers the BIOS. There should be a setting in the BIOS for "Boot order" or "Boot priority" or something like that, which tells the machine where to try first to boot from. Normally the hard drive is the first priority on this list, so you'll have to change the setting so your CD/DVD drive is first and hard drive is second. Then it will read the DVD first; if you don't do this, it will go straight to booting Windows from the hard drive and read the disc later.

By the way - in case it wasn't clear - install Windows 7 AFTER assembling the new machine. You probably knew this, but I have seen cases where someone made replacements like this but installed Windows BEFORE, when the old motherboard was still in place. That's just going to cause you to have to reinstall Windows again.

fuggles

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
a person reviewing the ram on amazon said his was running at 1066mhz instead of 1333mhz

How does a person find out if their ram is running lower than expected ??

fuggles

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
also, if it boots automatically from the hard drive,

could I use the install from usb option that windows 7 gives ??

What category does the usb fall under ??

Just in case I don't understand the bios ??