Slide Scanning - Boston Area

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 26, 2005 2:49:44 PM

Hi,

I am looking to have 35mm slides scanned by a lab, and was wondering if
anyone could recommend a place in the Boston area? I've looked at a
few web sites, though have found only one that does it and the price
per slide is quite expensive (2+ dollars).

Thanks,
John
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 6:56:45 AM

$2 is about right. If you have enough slides it will pay for a scanner...and
then you invest your time. If pro prices are too much you can ask around and
get a friend to do it...but then you have dust problems...and that will take
your time again.

<boston-2005@excite.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am looking to have 35mm slides scanned by a lab, and was wondering if
> anyone could recommend a place in the Boston area? I've looked at a
> few web sites, though have found only one that does it and the price
> per slide is quite expensive (2+ dollars).
>
> Thanks,
> John

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 7:45:11 AM

Try My Special Photos at http://www.myspecialphotos.com/
There not in the Boston area. I've had great success with them and they
only charge .29 per slide.
April 27, 2005 11:20:57 PM

In article <1114537784.240068.214080@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
boston-2005@excite.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking to have 35mm slides scanned by a lab, and was wondering if
> anyone could recommend a place in the Boston area? I've looked at a
> few web sites, though have found only one that does it and the price
> per slide is quite expensive (2+ dollars).
>
> Thanks,
> John

If it's that expensive, why not go out and buy your own Minolta Dimage
IV scanner or better still the Nikon CoolScan?.

Not only will you save money but you could advertise you services and
undercut that rival at the same time.

When you're all done you can probably get 50% of the purchase price on
ebay.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 12:57:38 PM

boston-2005@excite.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking to have 35mm slides scanned by a lab, and was wondering if
> anyone could recommend a place in the Boston area? I've looked at a
> few web sites, though have found only one that does it and the price
> per slide is quite expensive (2+ dollars).
>
> Thanks,

> John

Two bucks is somewhat high, but not unreasonable, for a 4K dpi
negative/slide scan. I do a bit of this myself and charge $1 for a
basic scan on a Canon FS4000. (Care to send your stuff to AZ? ;)  )
I've seen several services that charge less (than 1$) per scan, but they
usualy get you back with absurd CD creation or return shipping fees.

-Greg
!