Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Upgrading CPUs but keeping everything else?

Last response: in CPUs
February 25, 2012 3:43:46 AM

While reading an article about CPUs, I read a suggestion on starting off with a low end CPU from Intel then upgrading it later in the future. Basically, it suggested to go from Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge when it gets released.

I understand the socket but what things should I note if I were to go down this path? This Pentium 4 needs an upgrade and I was considering something along the Socket 1155 line since there are some cheaper CPUs there that I can later upgrade.

I know that I would need to clean the CPU cooler if I re-use it [most likely will just start off with the stock one] so buying thermal paste is a possibility. Other than that, would I have to worry about my O/S being disrupted or requiring a re-installation b/c of a change of CPU?

More about : upgrading cpus keeping

a c 853 à CPUs
February 25, 2012 3:47:06 AM

Changing CPU on same motherboard does not require re install of OS. Chances are that when you buy a new CPU you get a new cooler as well.
Score
a b à CPUs
February 25, 2012 3:47:37 AM

If you buy a new CPU you need a new motherboard and memory. Maybe a new power supply.
Score
Related resources
February 25, 2012 3:36:05 PM

Alright, thanks for the reply. I did my share of research for both Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge. I was thinking of buying a Pentium G620 [Socket 1155] then upgrading to an i5-3570k [also Socket 1155] as opposed to buying an i5-2500k right now.
Score

Best solution

a c 83 à CPUs
February 25, 2012 3:39:05 PM

That is a sound plan if your on a tight budget, just remember you need to purchase new DDR3 ram as well.

Your also going to need to reinstall windows, it usually doesn't tolerate motherboard changes that well, if your on Xp now it won't even be able to load once you switch motherboards, it'll blue screen trying. I've had luck with Windows 7, but I usually get an unstable system without a fresh install.
a c 853 à CPUs
February 25, 2012 3:41:43 PM

dzf said:
Alright, thanks for the reply. I did my share of research for both Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge. I was thinking of buying a Pentium G620 [Socket 1155] then upgrading to an i5-3570k [also Socket 1155] as opposed to buying an i5-2500k right now.

Looks like a plan just make sure you get a good board.
Score
February 25, 2012 3:48:53 PM

I am set to buying all new parts. I just wanted to be sure about upgrading the CPU since I am on a tight budget for now. The only part I am probably going to be moving to the new computer is the Radeon HD 5770 and the HDDs.

I am running Windows 7 right now so I may end up re-installing from my past experiences when switching from computer to computer [the HDD]. I have 2 extra storage drives just in case, it's just the re-installation process is a pain to go through.

Also, for motherboards, I've narrowed it down to these 3:
- ASUS P8Z68-V LE [$140]
- ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 [$150]
- GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 [$160]

I am more familiar with ASUS and GIGABYTE but from the reviews people made in NewEgg, all 3 seem like good mobos. I am just hoping that there won't be any compatability issues with Ivy Bridge and Z68 Chipset.
Score
a b à CPUs
February 25, 2012 4:03:24 PM

If you don't Crossfire can buy that ASUS P8Z68-V LE.
Score
February 25, 2012 5:30:17 PM

Best answer selected by dzf.
Score
a b à CPUs
February 25, 2012 11:22:06 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!