ASUS Z77 Sabertooth vs Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE/PRO

G

Hi everyone,

I would like to get some opinions on which MoBo is better for this setup. I want to overclock the CPU but it will be my first time overclocking so it needs to be idiot proof =)
I know the Sabertooth is massively popular but I have read a few reviews saying that it's missing a few features and doesn't have a PLX switch chip (Don't ask me what that is) and it's voltage sequence is not great either, (Again I don't know what that means).

So can anyone shed some light onto which one is better for this system spec and for an OC noob.

Spec:
i5 3570k + 212 Evo HSF
2x 4GB Vengeance
ASUS GTX 690 4GB

P8Z77-V DELUXE - http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-p8z77-v-deluxe-s1155-intel-z77-ddr3-atx-80TY.html?q=P8Z77-V&src=16
Sabertooth - http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-sabertooth-z77-s1155-intel-z77-ddr3-atx-81WW.html

Thanks for your help

Solution
Neither of those are going to give you extreme OC abilities for their prices, you might get a not great chip which would render spending 200+ on a MOBO moot. I would go with the P8Z77-V Pro, cheaper than the Sabertooth but more features, and less features than the deluxe but it sounds like you wouldn't use any of those additional features anyways. The Pro will be more than enough for what you want (I have the pro myself, great board).

chugot9218

Honorable
Neither of those are going to give you extreme OC abilities for their prices, you might get a not great chip which would render spending 200+ on a MOBO moot. I would go with the P8Z77-V Pro, cheaper than the Sabertooth but more features, and less features than the deluxe but it sounds like you wouldn't use any of those additional features anyways. The Pro will be more than enough for what you want (I have the pro myself, great board).

Solution
G

Well as its my first OC'ing I wouldn't be doing anything extreme just around 4.2-4.5. Apart from the wifi and bluetooth do you know what the features are that the Pro has iver the Sabertooth and do they make a difference for the average user???

chugot9218

Honorable
No offense to you, but if the user can't tell the difference generally they won't make any ;). It has higher RAM speed support, a WIFI card, couple more USB ports I think, and features like USB BIOS flashback. Basically you are paying like 50 bucks for the thermal armor and losing a couple features with the sabertooth.

G

:ouch: how rude! LOL just kidding none taken. Ok thanks and I get what you mean with the thermal armor, I dont buy that it makes a big difference like ASUS says. Oh one more thing to confuse things even more, Toms mid-range MoBo review shows the P8Z77-V Pro in last place! :-/ I give up lol

G

Well, in the end I went with the Sabertooth as quite a few friends of mine have it and recommended it. So far it's alright but still early days. I love the look of it and it seems very well built. As you said, it isn't amazing for OC'ing, in fact so far I'm having really trouble OC'ing with it but that could just be me. I managed to OC my 3570k to 4.5Ghz but the voltage was 1.29 which I think I remember read that above 1.25 was too high for Ivy Bridge, and also when next turned the PC on the BIOS OC had reset, but again that might be my fault as I switched it off at the plug socket for 24hours. Would that reset the BIOS???
Anyway thank you for your advice I appreciate it.