Installed HD 6770 + 380 Watt PSU.. problems

kleep

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Hi,

I recently purchased some upgrades for my computer at the advice of some people on Tom's Hardware.
I got a

1. Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
2. SAPPHIRE 100338L Radeon HD 6770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

This is in addition to the rest of my computer:

* COOLING: CPUCOOL|ARCTIC FREEZER 7 PRO REV.2
* PROCESSOR: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6420 (2x 2.13GHz/2MB L2 Cache/1066FSB)
* MOBO: Asus P5N-E SLI nForce® 650i SLI Chipset w/6-channel CODEC, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394 Dual PCI-E MB
* RAM: 4 gig DDR2-800 PC6400

..... Soooo....

After installing everything I got a blue screen of death. Windows recommended that I install the service pack 1 for Vista (I had recently reformatted). I did this and now it seems to have fixed the blue screen, but I am noticing the computer seems to be moving slower and when I play minecraft it will eventually freeze and give me java errors.

I also OC'd my E6420 using AI Overclocking in BIOS but I turned it off. Still having the freezing problems/generally going slow with no overclocking option turned on....

I am not sure if this is related, but the 6770 calls for a 450W PSU and I only have a 380W.... is that the problem? I want to overclock but am unsure if I can seeing it calls for a 450W PSU.

Solution
Update Java.

Is it a 350w psu or 380, you seem to contradict yourself.

You probably still have windows updates to install over the next few days.

Did you install your motherboards chipset drivers? latest graphics drivers?

If you have a 380w Antec, your psu is fine for that system. I definitely would have went with something more powerful for future upgrades. I mean if you upgrade anything, your going to have to buy yet another power supply. You need to think ahead.

I'm using the same psu, but I already had it in my closet. Also my cpu does not overclock. I have a 620w for my future upgrade.

Update Java.

Is it a 350w psu or 380, you seem to contradict yourself.

You probably still have windows updates to install over the next few days.

Did you install your motherboards chipset drivers? latest graphics drivers?

If you have a 380w Antec, your psu is fine for that system. I definitely would have went with something more powerful for future upgrades. I mean if you upgrade anything, your going to have to buy yet another power supply. You need to think ahead.

I'm using the same psu, but I already had it in my closet. Also my cpu does not overclock. I have a 620w for my future upgrade.

Solution

kleep

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Sorry it is a 380W.

I uninstalled/reinstalled latest Java.
I recently reformatted so I'm assuming the updates just come slowly? Service Pack 2 after 1?
I installed the mobo drivers when I reformatted (so from the installation CD) so I think they are outdated. I don't have a floppy disk for installing the drivers for my mobo so I am gonna have to do the ISO thing... that is my next step.
Latest graphics drivers are up.

I am hoping the windows updates + mobo drivers will fix this? The Java thing is kind of weird too. Never had problems with Java before the reformat.

Go in to the Java Control Panel Applet, under Advanced, and Java Plug-in. Uncheck the "Next Generation Java Plug-in" option if it is checked. That has fixed a lot of issues here at work.

Edit: Oh, and if you can't get into the applet, or get an error message, your Java installation may be corrupt. Uninstall it. You may need to use MSICUU2 (available free from Microsoft). Then re-install Java.

Generally speaking, the PSU provides enough power for your rig.

The E6420 at stock speed should use less than 66w which is the measured power consumption of my E6600 CPU. The Radeon HD 6770 should be about 85w underload. The CPU and GPU are the primary power hogs on the 12v rail. That works out to an estimated 12.6 amps on the 12v rail excluding your hard drives and optical drives.

I never had issues with Java, but that could be your culprit.

kleep

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
When I reformatted, I installed all my software via ninite. Java was the only program that messed up when installing. It gave me an error, so I deleted it and reinstalled from their website.

I am wondering if I need to run a registry cleaner too.

kleep

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011

I will try this.

Generally speaking, the PSU provides enough power for your rig.

The E6420 at stock speed should use less than 66w which is the measured power consumption of my E6600 CPU. The Radeon HD 6770 should be about 85w underload. The CPU and GPU are the primary power hogs on the 12v rail. That works out to an estimated 12.6 amps on the 12v rail excluding your hard drives and optical drives.

I never had issues with Java, but that could be your culprit.

Ok good to know. I really don't understand the whole overclocking stuff but I want to figure it out. Oii mama.