CX430v2 producing lots of noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

theddd1

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Hi, I recently bought the Corsair CX430v2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026&Tpk=CX430
to accompany a Sapphire Radeon HD 6770 video card, and I'm very pleased with the increased gaming performance I've been receiving. I notice the PSU runs almost silent at first, but after a game or 2 in BF3, the fan amps up substantially, and the noise gets loud to the point where I can hear it across the room.

Are there any tips you have on reducing this noise?

Also this was used to replace a crap Logisys power supply.
I currently have one Logisys 80mm fan, Im guessing lack of sufficient airflow is the problem, but I just want advice on what you think about this?

Thank You. :D

Specs:
AMD Athlon II X4 3.0 Ghz Processor
4 GB DDR3 1333 Mhz RAM
Sapphire Radeon HD 1GB DDR5 6770 Graphics Card
1 Logysys 80mm Case Fan
CX430 v2 Power Supply.

Solution
If your case allows you to install a 120mm fan in the back it may help with cooling. This would reduce the amount of heat the power supply has to take.

It may also be worth monitoring your CPU fan speed(With hwmon). Some of the AMD stock coolers can get quite loud. The 6770 gets louder at load as well.

The only reason I am recommending looking at the other fans as well is because the 6770 is not that power hungry for a video card. My 300 watt power supply(with a i5 750) DOES get louder with a 5770(same as a 6770), but it only has an 80mm(slim and idles at about 1900rpm, but not loud until 2400-3000) fan(in the power supply and only a 120mm front case fan, no rear) and is also removing my cpu heat.

The stock cooler for the X4 955BE is...

theddd1

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

This is the first time I've had a PSU with a fan on the bottom of it, so Im not sure how its supposed to sound, and I feel like its only increasing its fan speed because its getting too hot in the case. But I purchased a year warranty with Newegg, in case something happened.

If your case allows you to install a 120mm fan in the back it may help with cooling. This would reduce the amount of heat the power supply has to take.

It may also be worth monitoring your CPU fan speed(With hwmon). Some of the AMD stock coolers can get quite loud. The 6770 gets louder at load as well.

The only reason I am recommending looking at the other fans as well is because the 6770 is not that power hungry for a video card. My 300 watt power supply(with a i5 750) DOES get louder with a 5770(same as a 6770), but it only has an 80mm(slim and idles at about 1900rpm, but not loud until 2400-3000) fan(in the power supply and only a 120mm front case fan, no rear) and is also removing my cpu heat.

The stock cooler for the X4 955BE is insanely loud.

hwmon download
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Solution

theddd1

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

I just figured out the main problem. Turns out I had forgotten to plug my 80 mm case fan into the power supply when I had recently installed it. So basically, my comp was working at load like an oven, with no airflow at all. Causing my PSU to increase fan speed and get really loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.