Sign in with
Your question

Integrated Mobo Realtek Sound Stopped Functioning

Last response: in Components
February 25, 2012 5:41:58 AM

Hello, my integrated sound card stopped functioning for my Sapphire p67 Pure Black motherboard. I scavenged the internet for two days and my computer is custom built by myself, only one week old. (Bought all the parts from ncix, no RMA also)
All I need from my sound card is a working headphone+monitor speaker+microphone jack but none of anything works from the audio jacks.

I spent roughly ten hours scrounging the internet and my conclusion has been drawn.

How it happened (I believe)
-Installed ATI Radeon Graphics card, sound immediately stopped working on the boot after.
-Did some research and there was a possible IRC conflict with what device managed the sound, since the graphics card had a integrated sound card too for hdmi. Tried to follow the procedures on the AMD website for this issue, to no avail.
(LINK = http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU-73NoOnBo... )
-Uninstalled all graphics card software,put back old graphics card and software but sound did not work.
-Formatted hard drive, installed windows same windows seven and all the proper drivers for realtek, nvidia etc.
-Sound still does not work.
-When I plug my headphones into the front pannel a high pitched, low volume noise is produced constantly.

My current plans
-Contacted Sapphire and create a support ticket about this issue, perhaps to replace the motherboard, no reply yet.
-Contacted Ncix and created a support ticked aswell, no reply yet.

What I believe happened
-I damaged the realtek audio chip on the motherboard. (hardware issue)
-I did not damage the realtek audio chip on the motherboard. (software issue)

Best case solution
-I can get the motherboard replaced
-Someone can share insight on this problem and help solve this problem

Ultimate solution
-Purchase sound card, was thinking of this one, very cheap and fits my purpose.
"ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI Sound Card 24BIT Dolby Digital DTS 105DB SNR W/ Headphone AMP"

Also note,
Sound does appear to be playing (green bar oscillates when playing audio http://imgur.com/ioXtY ) on the os side, but the audio is not transmitted to the front and rear i/o jacks (Microphone audio transmition does not oscillate though).

Any suggestion and insight on this problem will be HIGHLY appreciated. This is my first computer build and I have made some mistakes already, but have learned from them. I am stuck on this problem though.
February 25, 2012 7:48:52 AM

Unless it is a hardware fault, which would be rare, it could be that Windows set the HDMI audio on the ATI GPU as the default audio output, so check the audio settings.
m
l
!