Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Build Question (self build or prebuilt)

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 24, 2011 3:48:55 AM

So I was going to build a new i3 machine however this deal popped up on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I would totally jump on it considering it has the same 6770, 1tb, 8 gig ram that I was going to get. However, the problem is I already bought a PCI wireless card and a 1tb hdd and optical drive. If I returned them all I'd have to pay a restocking fee. I'd also still need to buy another wireless card that will fit in the pre-built's mobo (not sure what type of card the mobo will accept though, the PCI slot availiability section of the prebuilt stats are confusing).

Should I get the prebuilt and return my items or should I keep going with my i3 build?

November 24, 2011 5:23:26 PM

well don't you have a computer already?
if so, just put those items in ur current pc, and buy the new one. it is a great deal.

let us know how much you have spend so far (say in $) and what components you were looking to get. (list them out)
Additionally, what will you be doing with the computer? List specifics.

remember, you can always put your hdd and your optical drive in the computer that you bought...

overall, get the prebuilt and dont go for an i3.
m
0
l
Related resources
November 24, 2011 6:40:12 PM

If you really want to go with a pre-built,

Try customizing one at iBuyPower or CyberPower.
m
0
l
November 24, 2011 7:57:20 PM

I don't have a computer already, only a laptop since I haven't owned a tower in years.

Here are the components I wanted to build: The PCI, HDD, CX430, OPTICAL, and i3 cost me 235.99 USD and I already bought them. The RAM, MOBO, CASE, and WIN7 I haven't bought.

G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model
F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT

Seagate Barracuda 1tb

TP-Link 150 Wireless Adaptor
(TL-WN751ND)

DVD BURN LG | GH22NS70 OEM - OEM

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Rosewill Blackbone Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

HIS H677FN1GD Radeon HD 6770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32100

ASRock H61M-GE LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI Micro ATX



I was going to do some gaming with the computer. Overall the prebuilt would cost me about 100-200 more dollars to make due to returning the PCI, HDD, PSU, CPU and optical drive. Then I'd have to buy a new PCI-E wireless card since the prebuilt doesn't have a PCI slot. I'm kinda on a tight budget unfortunately.


I was thinking I may be able to just upgrade in the future to an i5 and buy a better power supply/graphics card. The games I want to play are WoW, League of Legends, TF2, and Magicka. I'm assuming the i3 would run those without lag at the very least (doesn't have to be on max settings) on my 20" hp screen.
m
0
l
November 24, 2011 9:04:34 PM

pandacoffee said:
I don't have a computer already, only a laptop since I haven't owned a tower in years.

Here are the components I wanted to build: The PCI, HDD, CX430, OPTICAL, and i3 cost me 235.99 USD and I already bought them. The RAM, MOBO, CASE, and WIN7 I haven't bought.

G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model
F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT

Seagate Barracuda 1tb

TP-Link 150 Wireless Adaptor
(TL-WN751ND)

DVD BURN LG | GH22NS70 OEM - OEM

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Rosewill Blackbone Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

HIS H677FN1GD Radeon HD 6770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32100

ASRock H61M-GE LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI Micro ATX



I was going to do some gaming with the computer. Overall the prebuilt would cost me about 100-200 more dollars to make due to returning the PCI, HDD, PSU, CPU and optical drive. Then I'd have to buy a new PCI-E wireless card since the prebuilt doesn't have a PCI slot. I'm kinda on a tight budget unfortunately.


I was thinking I may be able to just upgrade in the future to an i5 and buy a better power supply/graphics card. The games I want to play are WoW, League of Legends, TF2, and Magicka. I'm assuming the i3 would run those without lag at the very least (doesn't have to be on max settings) on my 20" hp screen.


cool just go with a 6670 because I don't think those are very demanding games.
make sure ur harddrive is 7200rpm, if you transfer files and work with large files and that kind of stuff
m
0
l
November 24, 2011 9:15:37 PM

Yeah my harddrive is 7200 rpm. At this point it might be best to continue with the i3 build and hope it will run my games relatively well since I already have about half of the build bought.

I do some webdesign and image editing from time to time too.

Since my MOBO does support i5 and i7 I could add those in later?
Is 8gb overkill btw? I don't know how much of a difference it makes, but I also tend to have firefox up when I game to reference back to strategies or sheets.
m
0
l
November 24, 2011 9:20:27 PM

pandacoffee said:
Yeah my harddrive is 7200 rpm. At this point it might be best to continue with the i3 build and hope it will run my games relatively well since I already have about half of the build bought.

I do some webdesign and image editing from time to time too.

Since my MOBO does support i5 and i7 I could add those in later?
Is 8gb overkill btw? I don't know how much of a difference it makes, but I also tend to have firefox up when I game to reference back to strategies or sheets.


i have 6GB of ram and run firefox (at least 2 tabs), skype, Word, and iTunes usually open when i play my games.
I play NFS, Dirt, Driver: SF, COD, and so on.
8GB may be overkill, but its your call. If you want to save a little money, get 6gb, but you probably won't save that much.

and yes, I would go with a i5 because it will give you a better overall computing performance.
m
0
l
November 24, 2011 10:50:35 PM

Unfortunately I already ordered an i3 yesterday since it was on sale. I guess I'll upgrade to an i5 later when I have more money. :( 
m
0
l
November 24, 2011 11:15:37 PM

alrighty, its a decent build.....
if you cant get a good deal on the 6770, get the 6750 or the 5770, they wont have a large performance difference.
m
0
l
November 25, 2011 1:42:24 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately I already ordered an i3 yesterday since it was on sale. I guess I'll upgrade to an i5 later when I have more money. :( 


I've got an i3-2100 and a GTX 460 oc'ed to a core clock of 865 and can run BF3 ultra in the 50's for FPS. The i3 is actually a very good processor and will outrun the AMD 955 in games. Yes the i5 is a better CPU but a better GPU will make a bigger difference in games at this price point.
The 6770 is really a re-badged 5770, so either of those are good.
Oh, and btw, no need for an aftermarket cooler for the i3. Never gone above 60c with the stock cooler in a Cooler Master Storm Scout Case. And that's running Prime 95 with an ambient of 80 and stock thermal paste too.

Quote:
Since my MOBO does support i5 and i7 I could add those in later?


Yes, any LGA 1155 processor will work save maybe a couple 1155 Pentium's on some motherboards.

Quote:
Is 8gb overkill btw? I don't know how much of a difference it makes, but I also tend to have firefox up when I game to reference back to strategies or sheets.


Yes 8 gb's is more than necessary but it doesn't cost more really. (maybe just a little)
Check this out for RAM,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I have the exact stuff, but running it at 1333 9-8-8-20, instead of 1600 9-9-9-24.

The motherboard you linked looks fine, I'd shell out the extra bones and get this motherboard, as it's excellent.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I do understand what a budget is though so... If you decide not to that's A OK. ;) 

For the case, any of these are good.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
0
l
November 25, 2011 2:13:02 AM

raptorxrx said:
Quote:
Unfortunately I already ordered an i3 yesterday since it was on sale. I guess I'll upgrade to an i5 later when I have more money. :( 


I've got an i3-2100 and a GTX 460 oc'ed to a core clock of 865 and can run BF3 ultra in the 50's for FPS. The i3 is actually a very good processor and will outrun the AMD 955 in games. Yes the i5 is a better CPU but a better GPU will make a bigger difference in games at this price point.
The 6770 is really a re-badged 5770, so either of those are good.
Oh, and btw, no need for an aftermarket cooler for the i3. Never gone above 60c with the stock cooler in a Cooler Master Storm Scout Case. And that's running Prime 95 with an ambient of 80 and stock thermal paste too.

Quote:
Since my MOBO does support i5 and i7 I could add those in later?


Yes, any LGA 1155 processor will work save maybe a couple 1155 Pentium's on some motherboards.

Quote:
Is 8gb overkill btw? I don't know how much of a difference it makes, but I also tend to have firefox up when I game to reference back to strategies or sheets.


Yes 8 gb's is more than necessary but it doesn't cost more really. (maybe just a little)
Check this out for RAM,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I have the exact stuff, but running it at 1333 9-8-8-20, instead of 1600 9-9-9-24.

The motherboard you linked looks fine, I'd shell out the extra bones and get this motherboard, as it's excellent.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I do understand what a budget is though so... If you decide not to that's A OK. ;) 

For the case, any of these are good.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Ah I would get that mobo that you linked but it is a bit out of my budget. Should I get those ripjaws though? How'd you get it to run at 1333? Not sure if that'd be compatible with my ASROCK lower end mobo. Sorry I'm a complete newb haha.
m
0
l
November 25, 2011 2:23:07 AM

That's fine about the mobo. It would just be more future proof and wouldn't make a huge difference today.
Those ripjaws are great. (look at the reviews).
Technically 1600 is better than 1333, but I tightened timings in the bios (all those other numbers I listed) to get lower ram usage. Honestly there isn't really a need to screw around with those settings as I'm not truly getting a speed performance boost in my computer it was more for the heck of it. But to answer your question you turn on your computer, go into BIOS and find RAM timings stuff and select your timings. Your MOBO wouldn't run the RAM at 1600 as it doesn't have support for it any way.It's nothing to worry about.
What'd you think of the cases?

I'd buy all of this to finish your build.
MOBO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
OS: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
November 25, 2011 3:15:43 AM

Okay so then I don't have to do anything really to get the ripjaws to just run at 1333 then. As long as it works I'm fine with it, haha. The above combo looks great. Even though the GPU is a different brand, I'm fine with it as long as it compatible. I'm worried about the case as the one I was intending to buy is tooless and looks like it comes with some zipties for cable management while the Antec does not (only shows screws). Any opinions on it? I do like the nice discount they have going on for the Antec though.

case I was going to purchase: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

EDIT:

Getting the challenger, as there is a price drop and free shipping: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=11-147-...
m
0
l
November 25, 2011 1:29:20 PM

pandacoffee said:
Okay so then I don't have to do anything really to get the ripjaws to just run at 1333 then. As long as it works I'm fine with it, haha. The above combo looks great. Even though the GPU is a different brand, I'm fine with it as long as it compatible. I'm worried about the case as the one I was intending to buy is tooless and looks like it comes with some zipties for cable management while the Antec does not (only shows screws). Any opinions on it? I do like the nice discount they have going on for the Antec though.

case I was going to purchase: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

EDIT:

Getting the challenger, as there is a price drop and free shipping: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=11-147-...

With the RAM, it's a simple finding the setting in bios. Most of the time, you don't have to do anything like you said.

The GPU is compatible, either brand would be fine. I just selected a cheap one with the best ratings. The challenger is a great budget case. Too less is good but it's nothing to worry about if it doesn't have it. I use tooless on my HDD's and DVD burner but not for my GPU, as I don't feel that tool less is secure enough for a GPU. Most cases that have tool less also have screw spots too.Most of the time cases have like 10 zipties and that's not enough for cable management. You don't have to do anything with zipties unless you want a cleaner look or slightly better airflow (that can depend how good or bad your cable managment is.) Zipties are like 3.00 bones at walmart so That isn't a issue.
m
0
l
November 25, 2011 3:47:57 PM

I think you are doing well, particularly since you already have a 1tb hard drive. HD prices wow!.

The i3-2100 is fine for a modest gaming pc.
To reassure you, read this article on <$200 gaming cpu's:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-cor...

Ram is cheap, get the cheapest 1.5v DDR3 8gb(2 x 4gb) kit you can find. G.skil seems to be aggressively priced. 1033/1333 is ok, no more than 1600.
Sandy bridge is insensitive to ram speeds, think 1% difference in performance. Install and let the motherboard set the default. As long as it runs, you are good.

H61 based motherboards are usually cheaper, but they do the job. You will be able to upgrade to i5 and i7 sandy bridge cpu's, but will not be able to overclock the "K" suffix chips.
For that, you need a Z68, or P67 based motherboard. Z68 or P67 will also give you the option to upgrade to ivy bridge next spring. If the cost differential is not too much, I would recommend that. Here is one for $90. The only negative I see is only two ram slots, and not 4.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Most any case will do.
It is hard to beat the Antec 300 for value at $35 with free shipping:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
November 26, 2011 9:25:13 PM

geofelt's suggestions are good. And that's another conformation for the i3 (i have it)
m
0
l
!