Sign in with
Your question

Phenom 960t or 975?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 25, 2012 6:26:02 AM

Hello, Im askin for peoples opinions on which one do i get. I already have a board and everything and just need an upgrade from a 9950 because it's running too hot and sucks too much power. I won't be buying any new mobo so don't recommend me any intel or bulldozer cpus. My board is a Gigabyte ma-785gm-us2h with f12a bios. I don't want to bu any more new board as I just bought it last year. I want to know peoples opinions on which do I get. I live in Guam so the only place where i could order is at Mwave.com. The 960t is 130 and the 975 is 170. I would like to unlock the extra 2 cores on the 960t to get a 6 core which is what i really wanted but I can't find anymore. If that doesn't work, i could just clock it to the same speed as the 975 but would it be the same performance. I mainly play bf3 right now and other fps games. I don't really use my pc other than that and hw for college and web browsing. So which should i buy? 960t or 975?

My sytem specs: Mobo: Gigabyte Ma-785gm-us2h
Cpu: Phenom 9950
Ram: 4gb of ddr2. Ocz fatality @1066mhz
Graphics card: MSI 6950 twin frozr iii 2gb
harddrives: 1tb Wd black(boot) and 1tb wd green(files)
Case: CM 690 II basic with 6 120mm fans

More about : phenom 960t 975

a b à CPUs
February 25, 2012 6:53:14 AM

For battlefield 3 cpu doesnt matter too much

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/battlefield-3-graphics-pe...

"Any reasonably-modern processor is going to be held back by graphics long before hamstringing performance itself. "

a good graphics card is more important

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graph...

might as well get the cheaper cpu 960t

edit: however newegg has a deal of 15$ off the 975 so thats tempting
February 25, 2012 7:11:56 AM

computernewb said:
For battlefield 3 cpu doesnt matter too much

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/battlefield-3-graphics-pe...

"Any reasonably-modern processor is going to be held back by graphics long before hamstringing performance itself. "

a good graphics card is more important

might as well get the cheaper cpu 960t

edit: however newegg has a deal of 15$ off the 975 so thats tempting

yeah true but for future things too. I won't be upgrading for like the next 4 years again on cpu so longetivity is also my plan. Newegg doesn't ship to guam :( 
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 25, 2012 8:57:31 AM

960T good chance it'll unlock and even if it doesnt you can OC the hell out of it
a b à CPUs
February 25, 2012 9:34:05 AM

I don't think your Mobo can unlock though. I looked it up on Gigabyte website and I can't see the function listed for it.
a c 96 à CPUs
February 25, 2012 11:05:05 AM

That mobo has ACC and will unlock.

Go for the 960T Zosma-not necessarily for the unlock potential, though. A Zosma is an EO stepping, BUT

. . . if you are concerned about power use you can take the 975 as low as 0.825v-I suspect the 960T will not go much below 1.1v at idle, BUT

. . . the 960T is 95w as opposed to 125w for the PhII 975, so it's got some volt headroom for a nice OC.

Glad I could help :lol: 

(+1 for the 960T :D  )

And if you leave your vcore on *Auto* it will over-volt on that mobo --
February 25, 2012 3:51:39 PM

Wisecracker said:
That mobo has ACC and will unlock.

Go for the 960T Zosma-not necessarily for the unlock potential, though. A Zosma is an EO stepping, BUT

. . . if you are concerned about power use you can take the 975 as low as 0.825v-I suspect the 960T will not go much below 1.1v at idle, BUT

. . . the 960T is 95w as opposed to 125w for the PhII 975, so it's got some volt headroom for a nice OC.

Glad I could help :lol: 

(+1 for the 960T :D  )

And if you leave your vcore on *Auto* it will over-volt on that mobo --

core for core Deneb is faster than Zozma
a c 141 à CPUs
February 25, 2012 3:58:45 PM

Quote:
975BE is my choice..
I personally do not need the two extra cores.
975BE can hit 4.0GHz in stock voltage..

I'm with you on that one. Also you say it runs hot what type of cooling are you using and what are the voltages of the CPU?
a c 83 à CPUs
February 25, 2012 8:41:36 PM

Boopoo said:
core for core Deneb is faster than Zozma

Zosma, Deneb, Thuban, Propus, Heka, and all the other K10 cores are the SAME core. It's only differences in cache and core count that change performance, Denebs core is NOT faster than Zosma. :lol: 
February 25, 2012 11:30:39 PM

loneninja said:
Zosma, Deneb, Thuban, Propus, Heka, and all the other K10 cores are the SAME core. It's only differences in cache and core count that change performance, Denebs core is NOT faster than Zosma. :lol: 

They are all the same perhaps but I don't think so from the info I have compiled and I guess I am right since Deneb is considered the fastest chips out of the whole Phenom II line up thanx for the laugh ;-)
February 26, 2012 1:00:06 AM

Thank you guys for all your comments. I keep my voltages on normal not auto because my ram voltage is higher on auto. Also, i use a isgc 400 with arctic silver 5 for thermal paste and there is a side panel fan for the heatsink. The voltage on idle is 1.040 and 1.296 at load.I also believe the 1090t is faster than the 980 in min. fps but 980 is better avg. from the last review by tom's http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a.... so its 3 for 960t and 3 for 975. One more person to break the tie or many more ppl.
February 26, 2012 1:52:45 AM

Get the 960t it's what I have. I'm running as a 4 core atm at 3.8ghz. It's cheaper then the 975 and it's 95w not 125w. And with the extra $$$ you can grab some more RAM(If you have windows 64bit that is.) or a new game.
February 26, 2012 1:54:39 AM

saint7269 said:
Get the 960t it's what I have. I'm running as a 4 core atm at 3.8ghz. It's cheaper then the 975 and it's 95w not 125w. And with the extra $$$ you can grab some more RAM(If you have windows 64bit that is.) or a new game.

Lower TDP does not mean a better faster chip.
a c 83 à CPUs
February 26, 2012 2:31:52 AM

Boopoo said:
They are all the same perhaps but I don't think so from the info I have compiled and I guess I am right since Deneb is considered the fastest chips out of the whole Phenom II line up thanx for the laugh ;-)

Only thing Deneb has is the highest stock clock speeds, Deneb and Thuban cores are IDENTICAL and have the same IPC. :lol: 
February 26, 2012 2:43:59 AM

loneninja said:
Only thing Deneb has is the highest stock clock speeds, Deneb and Thuban cores are IDENTICAL and have the same IPC. :lol: 

Well whatever they did exactly there is a difference and Deneb is a bit faster that is the facts.
February 26, 2012 5:49:50 AM

Is it really worth $40 to get an extra 600 mhz when you can just change the multiplier? If the 960t @ the same speed as the 975 would they be on-par? Lastly doesn't the 960t have that turbo frequency stuff?
February 26, 2012 6:14:21 AM

reyshan said:
Is it really worth $40 to get an extra 600 mhz when you can just change the multiplier? If the 960t @ the same speed as the 975 would they be on-par? Lastly doesn't the 960t have that turbo frequency stuff?

To make a 960t perform on par with a Deneb you must leave the 2 dormant cores disabled on the 960t and turn off the turbo core frequency which is just a gimmick IMHO anyway then OC to stock speed on 975 but the 975 has more headroom for OCing anyway so you might as well just have bought the 975 to begin with.
a c 184 à CPUs
February 26, 2012 7:21:25 AM

Passmark is fake mal...
a c 184 à CPUs
February 26, 2012 8:24:54 PM

Like how does an i5-2500k score lower than an i7-2670qm...? And how does the FX-6100 outperform the i7-920??? And an a8-3850 outperforms the a8-3870 and phenom 1055t?
a c 96 à CPUs
February 27, 2012 1:16:07 PM

Quote:
what makes you say that...
not arguing with you.
want to know.

Howdy, Mal :hello:  Good day to yah.

Passmark was shown to 'bork' processor scores by simply changing the CPU ID string. AMD dumped them over a year ago - folks like nVidia and Via before them.

AMD showed benchmarks where their CPUs were 5-6% slower in certain tasks, but their scores were misrepresented by 20-, 30- and even 40% less than Intel in Passmark.

February 28, 2012 5:21:23 AM

so, a the $40 cpu is the better option while just adjusting the multiplier without changin the voltage is better?
February 28, 2012 11:07:31 AM

Oh ok then. Im still saving up money but I will buy it in about 2 weeks. If the 975 is still on sale, ill grab it but if it's out then imma grab the 960t. thank you for the advice. now who to pick as the best answer?
February 28, 2012 11:13:19 AM

Sorry but i just saw on mwave.com(which is the only website that i could buy) a 6 core 1055t thuban core for 166. I know you guys will still consider the 975 but which is better now? 975 or 1055t?
February 28, 2012 11:17:06 AM

reyshan said:
Sorry but i just saw on mwave.com(which is the only website that i could buy) a 6 core 1055t thuban core for 166. I know you guys will still consider the 975 but which is better now? 975 or 1055t?

977 is faster in everything but the most highly threaded apps.
February 28, 2012 11:21:58 PM

Idk where to find the button for the best answer but, you all gave the best answers. You guys gave me opinions on what really to get. Thank You. 975BE It would be:) 
March 4, 2012 1:19:22 AM

I haven't purchased yet. The 975 is not in stock at mwave at the moment. I will be purchasing in about 2 weeks from now. Hopefully they will have a stock of the 975
a c 184 à CPUs
March 4, 2012 6:45:02 AM

Wait they are located in walnut creek, then why can't you order from newgg or something?
March 4, 2012 9:42:49 AM

amuffin said:
Wait they are located in walnut creek, then why can't you order from newgg or something?

Well, I live in guam and newegg only ships within the united states and puerto rico.http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/FAQDetail.aspx?Module=4. If they ship to guam, i would be buyin there instead of mwave. Also, tigerdirect ships to guam but at a crazy 2-day only shipping which costs as much as another 975.
March 4, 2012 10:48:50 AM

Quote:
if you trusted me then I would send you one.
I order parts for people and shipped them out all the time, just as 'moderator saint19'.
he's in Columbia and I ship him parts every few months.
all you need is a PayPal account.

I don't have a paypal account and mainly i ask my older brother or my girlfriend to buy my parts with their credit cards. Thank you for trying to help me though. When i checked newegg after amuffin told me to order there, i could type in my zip code and it would show shipping prices. When i click the "?" after the price of the shipping, it still doesn't say any guam. Just hawaii, alaska and puerto rico.
March 5, 2012 1:19:41 AM

Yeah your right. I emailed them and they said that they don't ship to guam. It sucks. Ill just wait for it. 2 more weeks anyways until i get enough cash.
March 18, 2012 7:50:34 AM

Hey guys, sorry for some disappointment( maybe more) but i purchased the 960t. The 975 is now gone from mwave and it is hard for me to order at newegg. I got it a day ago. I tried unlocking but i can't even pass the BIOS. The cpu is weird though, for some reason my system crashes if i keep my ram at 800mhz. I have to put it to 1066mhz to keep it stable but prime95 says otherwise. Intel Burn in Test, 3dmark vantage, 3dmark11, and aida 64 stability test are good just not prime 95. I don't really like running at 1066 because of little difference and more heat. The cpu is great though. It never passes 30 during full load in the morning and aircon at night won't even touch 25. Its running a 3.4 ghz with TB core and CnQ on.
a c 96 à CPUs
March 20, 2012 12:56:57 PM

Head on over to the AMD Overclocking forum and open up a thread.

The MA-785GM-US2H is an oldie but a goodie --- you just have to get your 'tweak' on :lol: 

It's got the Gigabyte dual-BIOS, so the first thing for you to do is set the backup BIOS to the same version as the main BIOS.

It will also let you save up to 8 different BIOS configurations -- USE THIS! Set up a 'stock' BIOS configuration with your settings optimized. Use the other slots to OC as a quad and 'unlock' experimentation.

It is also really bad to over-volt with your VCore set on *Auto* It would not surprise me if you set it to manual and dropped your CPU volts -0.1v without issue.

There are also quite a number of tweaks available for you in unlocking (but I would suggest taking 4 cores as far as you can before trying them) including adjusting the ACC per core . . .

Give me a few days to pop a 960T into my board and get all nasty with it -- there should be much joy in the combo.

March 21, 2012 1:16:20 AM

Oh ok. Thanks wisecracker. I clocked mine at 3.7 @1.325 of cpu voltage. Turned off, CnQ, Turbo, and C1E. I tried clocking it higher but my cpu scores on 3dmark11 won't go any higher and at vantage it crashes on the cpu testing part. I don't know how to backup another bios. When i tried unlocking the 2 cores, it gets to the bios and freezes and only shows that the cpu is a 6 core and thats it. My mouse and keyboard won't connect so i couldn't do anything or press delete. I should've have gotten the 975 but the temps on this is nice.
a c 96 à CPUs
April 20, 2012 4:06:36 PM

Back from the Dead!!

I didn't forget about you. I still have my 960T but I didn't use it. Someone gave me a C2 945 with bent pins.

After I hammered it into the 785GM-US2H, I wasn't interested in taking it back out.

It's doing a great job at 3.48GHz playing Crysis with a HD4870!

April 21, 2012 8:57:53 AM

So any words on what I said about my last post trying to unlock the other 2 cores? Ill try running mine with C1e enabled also with CnQ but I clocked mine now to 3.6 @ 1.296 voltage. Wise, which is better right now for me, your 945 or my 960t? Just asking so I know how to compare them in gaming.
a b à CPUs
April 21, 2012 11:43:38 AM

reyshan said:
Oh ok. Thanks wisecracker. I clocked mine at 3.7 @1.325 of cpu voltage. Turned off, CnQ, Turbo, and C1E. I tried clocking it higher but my cpu scores on 3dmark11 won't go any higher and at vantage it crashes on the cpu testing part. I don't know how to backup another bios. When i tried unlocking the 2 cores, it gets to the bios and freezes and only shows that the cpu is a 6 core and thats it. My mouse and keyboard won't connect so i couldn't do anything or press delete. I should've have gotten the 975 but the temps on this is nice.

When you tried clocking it higher did you also increase the NB Frequency? Generally to hit the high OC's with thubans you need to bump this up a fair bit. For a 4GHZ OC 2600mhz is a ballpark figure for the NB

If its freezing up on the unlock retry but manually unlock each of the 2 cores 1 at a time (5 core) you may have one dud core or it may be both, when you try unlocking reset all the bios to default dont try unlocking with your current OC.... unlock then OC.
a b à CPUs
April 21, 2012 12:01:23 PM

Its a good priced board £25 cheaper than the 990FX but only £15 more than the 970 and I try to stick with Gbyte as I have never had one fail on me even their budget offerings seem durable.

That's the max OC i have managed to get prime95 stable, my day to day is 3.8 with that 4GHZ i had to rig a 80mm fan blowing at the NB heatsink and the noise drove me nuts, also had to push the volts up which I dont like doing, 3.8 i manage stable on stock voltage. I think I hit the jackpot on my 960T its far more stable than the others I've played about with for people.

May try for aggressive clocks again though as I just sold my case mod project and bought a HAF X and the temps in my case are now a fair bit lower. Have to be next week though I have an open university paper to hand in by wednesday that i left to last minute and now on reading the question have discovered i need to learn to program in Sense and write a program in 3 days :( 

*edit* This RAM is crap as soon as you play with it things go all to hell. Upgrade is planned when funds allow
April 22, 2012 3:52:00 AM

are you guys talking about my mobo and ram? I don't really want to overclock my fsb. I don't want to much burden on my mobo. I want it to last. Also, im afraid that if i do the unlocking, i can't access my bios at all. I couldn't even press delete because the mouse and keyboard take a long time to connect or it wouldn't at all. It took me many tries and the whole day just to access my bios without it freezing. I tried clearing the bios(taking out the battery), taking out my ram and putting it back and even taking out the cpu twice. I just don't wanna deal with it and trying to access the bios. It also killed one of my ram sticks with it while doing the unlocking.
a b à CPUs
April 22, 2012 8:32:57 AM

Not the FSB the NB (Northbridge) if you want high stable OC's you will likely have too
July 18, 2012 11:39:04 AM

Hey guys, I have some news. I don't know to you guys if it is a good or bad news. Since my board is micro-atx and I forgot to tell you that my video card is resting on my sata ports. Thus one of my sensors for my video card is reporting 10 degrees higher than the other two sensors. Now my brother wants to swap boards. His is the Gigabyte 790x-ds4. Now i want to know your opinion if this is a good trade. Will it achieve higher clocks or will it crash/burn? I am a go but idk if it is a better board than mine.
!